Old 12-10-20, 02:28 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I tested positive

Iím 62 and retired at the end of July. I quit smoking 2 years ago-thank goodness. I am overweight, mostly beer, but am starting to eat healthier. I recently started riding again-for fitness but also for fun.

I tested positive on Tuesday after my wife and daughter tested positive on Sunday. They had fever, body aches, congestion and fatigue.
I on the other hand have zero symptoms. I rode 5 miles around town yesterday snd today. I donít really want to press my luck but my pulse and breathing are normal.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 12-10-20, 03:20 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly View Post
Iím 62 and retired at the end of July. I quit smoking 2 years ago-thank goodness. I am overweight, mostly beer, but am starting to eat healthier. I recently started riding again-for fitness but also for fun.

I tested positive on Tuesday after my wife and daughter tested positive on Sunday. They had fever, body aches, congestion and fatigue.
I on the other hand have zero symptoms. I rode 5 miles around town yesterday snd today. I donít really want to press my luck but my pulse and breathing are normal.
Yikes. If you're COVID positive and especially if you are showing symptoms, you should be in self quarantine.

Old 12-10-20, 03:42 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Yikes. If you're COVID positive and especially if you are showing symptoms, you should be in self quarantine.
we are quarantined. I rode alone. When I say rode around town I mean a loop around my neighborhood. Never saw or came close to anyone. Fresh air and distance make it safe enough.
Old 12-10-20, 03:45 PM
Bigbus

Bikes: Giant Road Bike & Giant MTB $ Fuji Road Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 143 Posts
He's riding alone, how much more self quarantining do you expect? Plus, he's not showing symptoms, even though that doesn't mean anything. I say keep riding until you're too sick to ride, than take up walking. We all die eventually, Enjoy life while you can.
Old 12-10-20, 03:54 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

I'm sorry, but keeping a distance from people is everyone is supposed to do (whether they have tested positive or not). If you ARE positive, you are supposed to be self quarantining.

Old 12-10-20, 04:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked 2,106 Times in 1,258 Posts
when I had it a couple weeks ago, I stayed away from my family and spent a week in our basement.
We went for 3 hikes as a family that week. I drove separately, all of us wore masks, and we went to locations that are rarely accessed to ensure we weren't around anyone. We spread out while hiking as further precaution.

If I am locked in my basement away from family except for a handful of brief moments each day or hiking 10-50' away from family surrounded by hundreds of empty acres, having experienced it there is effectively no difference.

Perhaps it's selfish and I am justifying. Perhaps we 'got lucky'.
Or perhaps we planned and executed well.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-10-20, 04:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12520 Post(s)
Liked 4,639 Times in 2,392 Posts
Weíre doomed.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-10-20, 04:36 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Bigbus View Post
He's riding alone, how much more self quarantining do you expect? Plus, he's not showing symptoms, even though that doesn't mean anything. I say keep riding until you're too sick to ride, than take up walking. We all die eventually, Enjoy life while you can.
I ride after lunch when everyone is at work or school.
Iím not radioactive. The only way I know I am positive is the test said so. There are probably many many others who are like me and havenít been tested because they feel normal like me.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 12-10-20, 05:30 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9667 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,320 Posts
Iím not radioactive. The only way I know I am positive is the test said so. There are probably many many others who are like me and havenít been tested because they feel normal like me.
Get a second test.

And yeah, stay well away from others... and keep in mind that you could be "shedding" the virus without getting sick yourself. What you "shed" can make others sick. I think that is the point being made here.

Hope you don't actually get sick.
Likes For genec:
Old 12-10-20, 07:01 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

I was mistaken. You are advised to quarantine if you have been exposed to someone with COVID. You are supposed to isolate if you have a positive diagnosis.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...isolation.html

This is a matter of probabilities. The guidelines for staying a certain distance from people to control the pandemic are based on the assumption that there is a small probability that each of us are actually infected. Transmission is still possible even from a distance, but when combined with the small probability that you are actually infected, the risk is deemed low enough on the whole to keep the pandemic in control.

All that goes out the window if you have indeed been tested and identified as COVID positive. In that instance, your chances of infecting someone is significantly higher ... and you are are supposed to stay home and have no contact with anyone outside of your household until you have tested negative. You may only be positive for a week or two ... why not simply stay home?

Likes For Biker395:
Old 12-10-20, 07:09 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I was mistaken. You are advised to quarantine if you have been exposed to someone with COVID. You are supposed to isolate if you have a positive diagnosis.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...isolation.html

This is a matter of probabilities. The guidelines for staying a certain distance from people to control the pandemic are based on the assumption that there is a small probability that each of us are actually infected. Transmission is still possible even from a distance, but when combined with the small probability that you are actually infected, the risk is deemed low enough on the whole to keep the pandemic in control.

All that goes out the window if you have indeed been tested and identified as COVID positive. In that instance, your chances of infecting someone is significantly higher ... and you are are supposed to stay home and have no contact with anyone outside of your household until you have tested negative. You may only be positive for a week or two ... why not simply stay home?
Yesterday and today are the last 2 nice days for a while. Starting tomorrow it will be cold and raining so I will be on my indoor trainer.
I had no contact with people during my short ride.
Old 12-10-20, 07:14 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a3146...g-coronavirus/

This article says riding solo is a good option.
Old 12-10-20, 07:33 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a3146...g-coronavirus/

This article says riding solo is a good option.
Yes, but that is directed to people who have not been tested and deemed COVID positive.

Hey, I understand that a lot of context is lost in social media and how and where you ride may make this less relevant. Your actual riding siutation may be such that you ar totally isolated and the risk limited to perhaps those that come to your aid if you crash, or things you touch that later transfer the virus to others. And I can tell you that I chafe at people who implore others to stay at home when the activity they are participating in has minimal risk to themselves or anyone else. But if I were COVID positive, I would stay isolated at home until the virus clears. If for no other reason, there are stories (granted anecdotal) of people who initially presented with minor symptoms and got much worse. Take care of yourself. A couple of weeks isn't very long in the big scheme of things.

Old 12-10-20, 08:54 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 1,419 Times in 835 Posts
Go out in your isolated backyard with a big stick and pretend battle with the virus for an hour. You will need to jump and dodge a lot and don't; forget to duck.
Old 12-10-20, 09:02 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 972 Posts
And that is why we have a 9-11 death toll every day in the US now.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 12-12-20, 10:53 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9667 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
And that is why we have a 9-11 death toll every day in the US now.
Wow, remember what the national response to 9-11 was...
Likes For genec:
Old 12-12-20, 12:14 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
That sucks. Puts you in the window for Christmas.
Old 12-12-20, 10:28 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 1,105 Posts
Welp... you already know cases have spiked sharply in Tarrant County and as of Friday we were down to 18 empty ICU beds.

My main concern isn't COVID-19. My concern is being hit -- again -- by reckless, negligent drivers, and needing to go to the ER or ICU. Besides consuming medical emergency resources that someone else might need more than I do, I'm exposing myself to greater risk of catching the Super Cooties if I do happen to need an ER visit.

I ride, walk and jog a lot on the west side of Foat Wuth, but I'm very careful to avoid people in my apartment complex. I live alone (well, three cats let me live here), but this is an enclosed complex with all interior doors facing common hallways. And all tenants are elderly and/or disabled. At 63 I'm among the youngest and healthiest. I take precautions to protect my neighbors as much as myself.

If I developed symptoms and/or tested positive, I'd stick to my indoor trainer for the recommended period and order in whatever supplies I need. Although I'm usually stocked up well enough to last 2-4 weeks without ever needing to go out.

Reading reactions to Mayor Price's updates you'd get the impression that Fort Worth is filled with rebel zombies defying all common sense. But in reality, 't'ain't so. Most folks I see around town are wearing masks and taking reasonable precautions. The Facebook warriors are a noisy but tiny minority of Typhoid Marys. But it only takes a few to spread the Super Cooties around town.

Do what you think is best but be aware of the risks and unforeseen complications.
Old 12-13-20, 12:48 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Welp... you already know cases have spiked sharply in Tarrant County and as of Friday we were down to 18 empty ICU beds.

My main concern isn't COVID-19. My concern is being hit -- again -- by reckless, negligent drivers, and needing to go to the ER or ICU. Besides consuming medical emergency resources that someone else might need more than I do, I'm exposing myself to greater risk of catching the Super Cooties if I do happen to need an ER visit.

I ride, walk and jog a lot on the west side of Foat Wuth, but I'm very careful to avoid people in my apartment complex. I live alone (well, three cats let me live here), but this is an enclosed complex with all interior doors facing common hallways. And all tenants are elderly and/or disabled. At 63 I'm among the youngest and healthiest. I take precautions to protect my neighbors as much as myself.

If I developed symptoms and/or tested positive, I'd stick to my indoor trainer for the recommended period and order in whatever supplies I need. Although I'm usually stocked up well enough to last 2-4 weeks without ever needing to go out.

Reading reactions to Mayor Price's updates you'd get the impression that Fort Worth is filled with rebel zombies defying all common sense. But in reality, 't'ain't so. Most folks I see around town are wearing masks and taking reasonable precautions. The Facebook warriors are a noisy but tiny minority of Typhoid Marys. But it only takes a few to spread the Super Cooties around town.

Do what you think is best but be aware of the risks and unforeseen complications.
I am in a small suburb north of Ft. Worth. I rode for 2 days but have been convinced to stay indoors until the recommended isolation period is over. I was never near anyone and did enjoy the fresh air though.
Old 12-13-20, 01:07 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 339 Posts
Successful viruses are the ones who's characteristics, including requirements for spreading, align well with the behaviors of their hosts. This virus has hit a home run, not only with it's dovetailing with its host's physiology, but even more in how its leveraged its host's social structures.

I think this virus has found the sweet spot of mortality. Any higher, and we might put together an intelligent response.

Years ago I saw an interview with a virologist who'd just returned from a successful campaign to shut down an ebola outbreak. The reporter asked some question, and the guy answered that in the long run, he's betting on the bugs. I tend to agree.
Old 12-13-20, 02:04 AM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 1,074 Posts

Use your head besides a hat rack! Do the right thing you know what that is. Otherwise your post sounds like you are just trolling.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 12-13-20, 02:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
Successful viruses are the ones who's characteristics, including requirements for spreading, align well with the behaviors of their hosts. This virus has hit a home run, not only with it's dovetailing with its host's physiology, but even more in how its leveraged its host's social structures...
Yup. I've been pondering the many pathogens we encountered when I worked in health care, and try to follow at least the abstracts and summaries of new research in medical and science journals.

For years we've heard about things like the Toxoplasma gondii parasite that can actually alter human behavior and make some people irrational, impulsive aggressive, violent and suicidal.

The most interesting early warning sign this year was a review of the research published around 2005, following the first major SARS pandemic, which noted that among other illnesses, that coronavirus appeared to also carry the risk of being linked to dementia.

While I enjoy science fiction I'm always skeptical of the way science and medicine are misinterpreted or outright misrepresented, if only for dramatic effect. But I couldn't help but think back to the recurring themes in The X-Files -- the black oil alien virus that could change human behavior, or take over the afflicted person's entire mind and replace it with an alien-directed sort of hive mind.

Back then, during the 1990s when The X-Files first ran, I lumped that theme together with the familiar 1950s-'60s sci-fi themes that were metaphors for the Red Scare, Yellow Peril, Communism, etc.

But in retrospect The X-Files trope about alien viruses, vaccines loaded with hidden agendas, etc., might now be reinterpreted as prophetic, warnings of how pernicious viruses might be, and how fearful people would react out of superstition rather than logic. The anti-vaxxer movement seemed to spring up, or gain momentum, right around the time of the end of The X-Files series. By then the show's tropes were heavily influencing many other sci-fi shows and movies.

If Chris Carter and the creative team were still producing The X-Files, they could have fun with the notion of the first wave of the SARS virus in the early 2000s setting up humans for a fall, not by killing them outright with respiratory failure, but by impairing our abilities to reason, dispassionately and logically, turning us into fearful reactionary zombie hordes.

And then along comes the followup, the knockout punch, in the form of Coronavirus 2.0.

Unfortunately, as with politics the past several years, it's increasingly difficult to parody the ridiculous antics of people in real life, and to create a fictional medical emergency scenario more fantastical than the reality we've seen throughout 2020.

Oddly, as if to add credence to the theories about coronaviruses impairing the neurological system and brain -- and hearkening back to the symptoms of toxoplasmosis -- I've noticed a peculiarly specific complaint from many folks who oppose any precautions in coping with this pandemic: many of them, including some real life acquaintances, keep harping on blaming any and all hygienic precautions for increases in suicides and family violence.

I can't recall hearing a persistently similar theme from my acquaintances who identify as "liberal," whatever that means. It's something I hear almost exclusively from the polar opposite. "Liberals" (or whatever) tend to talk about depression, feeling isolated and alienated, but reach out to friends to share feelings, experiences... y'know, talk. Instead of beating and killing people.

Perhaps it's a talking point on media outlets they consume, so they're merely parroting what they read and hear. But it's an oddly specific theme that I see and hear almost daily this year: "These pandemic precautions are forcing us to kill our families and commit suicide." That's a blunt but accurate summation.

I've refrained from suggesting that they're providing evidence for the possibility that some pathogens cause brain damage and impaired thinking.

On the plus side, perhaps effective vaccines against coronaviruses, and even rhinoviruses, might produce the beneficial side effect of reducing instances of dementia, neurological disorders, behavioral problems in kids (okay, that's a stretch, kids are kids in every generation), and autoimmune disorders.

Last edited by canklecat; 12-13-20 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-13-20, 07:38 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Use your head besides a hat rack! Do the right thing you know what that is. Otherwise your post sounds like you are just trolling.
i was most probably initially exposed the Tuesday following Thanksgiving. My wife and daughter started feeling bad Friday or Saturday and tested positive Sunday. I tested positive that following Tuesday- a week after exposure. Since I am asymptomatic itís hard to be sure but we all had to have been exposed at the same time.
We were told to isolate for 7-10 days- even the doctor isnít sure. My wife is a surgical nurse and will be cleared to go back to work on Tuesday.
I am not trolling and as long as I stay away from people I am not endangering anyone.
Old 12-13-20, 08:55 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 36 Posts
I am in a small suburb north of Ft. Worth. I rode for 2 days but have been convinced to stay indoors until the recommended isolation period is over. I was never near anyone and did enjoy the fresh air though.
You have made the right decision to stay home and isolate. While the risk to others may be low you never know when a short bike ride can end up with an injury that forces you to seek medical attention which might put others at risk. If we all do our part we can help reverse the most recent spike in infections and it is great to hear you are doing your part.
Old 12-13-20, 10:02 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Wow, remember what the national response to 9-11 was...
Itís more similar than you probably remember.

9/11 - Everyone came together for a few months before going back to infighting and bickering, Some said 9/11 was faked by the government or was a government conspiracy or knew about it before hand. Military patrols in airports and of course bombing Afganistan. Soldiers dying in Middle East nearly forgotten a few years later.

Covid - Most everyone comes together in the first couple months before going back to noncompliance and bickering, a small group denies that COVID is real or caused by the government. The military organizes Operation Warp Speed, and was almost deployed to US cities this summer until cooler heads prevailed. Folks dying in hospitals nearly forgotten a year later.
Likes For billridesbikes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.