Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

If you got COVID, do you know where you got infected?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

If you got COVID, do you know where you got infected?

Old 12-21-20, 04:06 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2713 Post(s)
Liked 1,172 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post

I spent the following 9 days in our basement in isolation away from my wife and kids, except for about 30min total between a half dozen trips upstairs for food or shower.
Oh, we did go on a few hikes where it was just us. I drove separately, we all worse masks, and the others were 10-70' away.
Nobody else in my family tested positive. They finished their 14 days in quarantine, tested, and came back negative.
Good work! I wonder how I could pull that off in my household. There are just two of us but separate quarters isn't very feasible. I am the only one here fully capable of doing all that has to happen.

I am really hoping the vaccine gets here soon enough that at least my housemate who is a far greater risk than I gets his before it is too late.
Old 12-21-20, 04:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 4887 Post(s)
Liked 2,114 Times in 1,264 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Yikes. That is scary.

Its my understanding that it may take as long as 2 weeks for symptoms to appear. Were you essentially isolated the week before as well?
Yes it can take up to 2 weeks for symptoms to appear, but its typically 3-7 days, last I saw. This is in part why the CDC changed quarantine recommendation time from 14 days to 7-10 days(depending on if you test). 2 weeks prior to testing, I would have done basically the same- grocery, dog walks without incident, bike rides without incident, and the gym for volleyball lesson. Oh, and a equestrian barn...but unless horses can give me covid, im good there and wore a mask.

I stopped thinking about how seemingly random it was to get the virus. My family didnt get it which is whats important since the process of passing it to each member would have made for a very long month in our household. Its done, I apparently have a bit of immunity for a few months, and it seems a virus will run its course even if we make attempts to slow it due to how we are set up as a country.
Old 12-21-20, 04:12 PM
cloud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
Good work! I wonder how I could pull that off in my household. There are just two of us but separate quarters isn't very feasible. I am the only one here fully capable of doing all that has to happen.

I am really hoping the vaccine gets here soon enough that at least my housemate who is a far greater risk than I gets his before it is too late.
By the time I realized I had it and tested positive we were not separated in my household . I guess I was lucky and nobody else in my house tested positive.
Old 12-21-20, 06:19 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post

Its a mystery how I got it. Im guessing the grocery store is where I got it somehow. Cant say what I would have done differently.
There does seem to be an element of randomness. Seems strange that you could get it at the grocery store, and yet nobody in your household was affected.
I don't know what you could have done differently either, except never go to the grocery store (if that is where you got it).

Hope you make a full and complete recovery.
Old 12-22-20, 12:29 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 13040 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,303 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I was diagnosed just over 4 weeks ago. I dont know how I got it. In the week prior to testing positive, I had been to 2 places and wore a mask at each location(again though, the mask is worn mostly for the person that has it and not the person who doesnt).
- I was at a local university gym with one of my kids and a coach for 80 minutes. It was the three of us in a space that is 2 full college basketball courts and I wasnt within 15 feet of the coach. The coach didnt have covid(he tested before and after) and my kid hasnt had covid. Hands were washed at the end and then also disinfected on the way out.
- I was at the grocery store for 45 minutes. Carts are cleaned by someone standing at the cart racks, I never followed someone for more than a few brief seconds, and nobody walked alongside me coughing over my shoulder or anything like that. Hands were disinfected as I left.
I'm glad that you and your family seem to be doing well.

I agree with others. That would have put you just around election time when COVID was going bonkers in the Midwest, and I think including Iowa. The number of active cases in a community makes a difference.

A store seems like it should be low risk, but what if a checkout clerk got the disease.
Old 12-22-20, 04:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 3160 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
We have contact tracing here too. I think it was doing pretty well when we had about 5 cases a day, but it may be strained when we're up to 100 cases a day. And, areas with > 1000 cases a day must struggle.

So far I've never been contacted saying that I've had a first-hand contact with someone with COVID. In part because most of my contacts are very careful. I don't know if they look at financial transactions as part of contact tracing.

Anyway, my question was what were some of the high risk activities, and what were the low risk activities where people got the disease. Are people getting it grocery shopping once a week, or are they getting it elsewhere?
Pubs!
Old 12-22-20, 07:49 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 4887 Post(s)
Liked 2,114 Times in 1,264 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I'm glad that you and your family seem to be doing well.

I agree with others. That would have put you just around election time when COVID was going bonkers in the Midwest, and I think including Iowa. The number of active cases in a community makes a difference.

A store seems like it should be low risk, but what if a checkout clerk got the disease.
Voting could have been the issue, I guess...but that was 18 days before I tested which really should eliminate it from consideration. I guess its possible?
Sure the number of active cases around you matters. Thats obviously going to make infecting others easier since the uninfected are exposed to more infected more frequently.