Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

So far a very slow start to the 2020 Flu Season

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

So far a very slow start to the 2020 Flu Season

 
Old 12-19-20, 10:08 AM
  #1  
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,968
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13040 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,303 Posts
So far a very slow start to the 2020 Flu Season

Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report





2009 (grey) must be the Swine Flu year, and the vaccine would have been coming out in the fall.

Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) Activity Level Indicator Determined by Data Reported to ILINet




CDC COVID Data Tracker




One thing I noticed a while ago is that the Flu data and the COVID data hasn't been exactly mirroring each other.

Oregon has been slightly above baseline for the Flu, but one of the lower states for COVID for quite some time.

Some hot spots like Oklahoma do show upon both maps, but still not particularly high for the Flu.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 12-19-20, 01:25 PM
  #2  
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout
 
Hondo Gravel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 2,030

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,075 Posts
Maybe the basic protocols to slow covid is curtailing other ailments? I missed a few minor colds I usually get. Beer consumption has increased 25% in my area that will be another study.
Hondo Gravel is offline  
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 12-19-20, 02:32 PM
  #3  
'02 nrs
royaloaker
 
'02 nrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: se MIch.
Posts: 394

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell,4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 91 Posts
24hr. version.

started with cold chills a couple days before & had the 4x flu shot 3 months ago.first time the nose dripped like an open spigot.my advice-have some chicken soup in the house & move around-ride a stationary.helps a lot.
'02 nrs is offline  
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 12-19-20, 02:52 PM
  #4  
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout
 
Hondo Gravel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 2,030

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,075 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs View Post
started with cold chills a couple days before & had the 4x flu shot 3 months ago.first time the nose dripped like an open spigot.my advice-have some chicken soup in the house & move around-ride a stationary.helps a lot.
Yup, grandma always said eat chicken soup. I keep chicken noodle in supply.
Hondo Gravel is offline  
Old 12-20-20, 06:55 AM
  #5  
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,163

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post

Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report





2009 (grey) must be the Swine Flu year, and the vaccine would have been coming out in the fall.

Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) Activity Level Indicator Determined by Data Reported to ILINet


CDC COVID Data Tracker




One thing I noticed a while ago is that the Flu data and the COVID data hasn't been exactly mirroring each other.

Oregon has been slightly above baseline for the Flu, but one of the lower states for COVID for quite some time.

Some hot spots like Oklahoma do show upon both maps, but still not particularly high for the Flu.
I dunno why anyone is surprised with this. I read of the predicted “double whammy” of COVID and flu, and wondered ... wouldn’t all the COVID protocols keep flu infections lower this season than usual?

Interesting side note: I was PCR tested for COVID and the flu for an upcoming procedure ... both negative.
__________________
Proud parent of a happy inner child ...

Biker395 is offline  
Old 12-20-20, 10:55 AM
  #6  
CliffordK
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 24,968
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13040 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,303 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
I dunno why anyone is surprised with this. I read of the predicted “double whammy” of COVID and flu, and wondered ... wouldn’t all the COVID protocols keep flu infections lower this season than usual?
No,

I had expected the two to be related.

The deviations, however, are interesting. For example Oregon has been above baseline for ILI for some time, but below average for COVID. I finally came up with a theory that more vigilance for COVID is creating extra doctor visits for "ILI".

Looking at the 2019/2020 line graph (green line), there are a couple of things that are interesting. Despite COVID, the spring flu season seems to have been longer than recent years. There is also a mid-summer bump for ILI. These aren't necessarily confirmed influenza cases, but cases with similar symptoms. That bump seems to correspond to the mid-summer COVID bump. In fact, it could be COVID being reported as "FLU". Perhaps the third spring peak was also COVID.

The 2009/2010 flu season was upside-down, likely due to the swine flu, and the late arrival of the swine flu vaccine. I wish the CDC chart included the spring data from that year. It is, however, a good reminder that pandemics don't behave like seasonal viruses.
CliffordK is offline  
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.