Old 12-19-20, 10:08 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13040 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,303 Posts
So far a very slow start to the 2020 Flu Season

Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report

2009 (grey) must be the Swine Flu year, and the vaccine would have been coming out in the fall.

Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) Activity Level Indicator Determined by Data Reported to ILINet

CDC COVID Data Tracker

One thing I noticed a while ago is that the Flu data and the COVID data hasn't been exactly mirroring each other.

Oregon has been slightly above baseline for the Flu, but one of the lower states for COVID for quite some time.

Some hot spots like Oklahoma do show upon both maps, but still not particularly high for the Flu.
Old 12-19-20, 01:25 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,075 Posts
Maybe the basic protocols to slow covid is curtailing other ailments? I missed a few minor colds I usually get. Beer consumption has increased 25% in my area that will be another study.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 12-19-20, 02:32 PM
'02 nrs
royaloaker

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell,4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 91 Posts
24hr. version.

started with cold chills a couple days before & had the 4x flu shot 3 months ago.first time the nose dripped like an open spigot.my advice-have some chicken soup in the house & move around-ride a stationary.helps a lot.
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 12-19-20, 02:52 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,075 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs View Post
started with cold chills a couple days before & had the 4x flu shot 3 months ago.first time the nose dripped like an open spigot.my advice-have some chicken soup in the house & move around-ride a stationary.helps a lot.
Yup, grandma always said eat chicken soup. I keep chicken noodle in supply.
Old 12-20-20, 06:55 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post

Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report

2009 (grey) must be the Swine Flu year, and the vaccine would have been coming out in the fall.

Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) Activity Level Indicator Determined by Data Reported to ILINet

CDC COVID Data Tracker

One thing I noticed a while ago is that the Flu data and the COVID data hasn't been exactly mirroring each other.

Oregon has been slightly above baseline for the Flu, but one of the lower states for COVID for quite some time.

Some hot spots like Oklahoma do show upon both maps, but still not particularly high for the Flu.
I dunno why anyone is surprised with this. I read of the predicted “double whammy” of COVID and flu, and wondered ... wouldn’t all the COVID protocols keep flu infections lower this season than usual?

Interesting side note: I was PCR tested for COVID and the flu for an upcoming procedure ... both negative.

Old 12-20-20, 10:55 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 13040 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,303 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
I dunno why anyone is surprised with this. I read of the predicted “double whammy” of COVID and flu, and wondered ... wouldn’t all the COVID protocols keep flu infections lower this season than usual?
No,

I had expected the two to be related.

The deviations, however, are interesting. For example Oregon has been above baseline for ILI for some time, but below average for COVID. I finally came up with a theory that more vigilance for COVID is creating extra doctor visits for "ILI".

Looking at the 2019/2020 line graph (green line), there are a couple of things that are interesting. Despite COVID, the spring flu season seems to have been longer than recent years. There is also a mid-summer bump for ILI. These aren't necessarily confirmed influenza cases, but cases with similar symptoms. That bump seems to correspond to the mid-summer COVID bump. In fact, it could be COVID being reported as "FLU". Perhaps the third spring peak was also COVID.

The 2009/2010 flu season was upside-down, likely due to the swine flu, and the late arrival of the swine flu vaccine. I wish the CDC chart included the spring data from that year. It is, however, a good reminder that pandemics don't behave like seasonal viruses.