Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked 1,705 Times in 1,083 Posts
Summer/Fall 2021 concerts?

Since the latest forecast has the vaccine available to the general public by mid summer-early fall 2021. I wonder if concert events will be canceled again? I have some $ invested for four concert tours and I知 getting impatient. I need some live music.
Old 12-22-20, 08:05 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Some event promoters are saying 2022 before concerts will be back I guess that is the smart way to go about it.
Old 12-23-20, 01:15 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 13051 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,309 Posts
I have a feeling states will go with reopening at a rate that minimizes deaths and keeps hospitalizations manageable.

It is hard to say how quick the vaccine will be rolled out. I heard on NPR that about 10% of the Oregon population falls under either essential workers or care facilities. So we have a lot of doses before getting to the elderly and vulnerable.

But, once we get most of the most vulnerable population vaccinated (those that want it) I would imagine most restrictions will be lifted.
Old 12-23-20, 08:51 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Since the latest forecast has the vaccine available to the general public by mid summer-early fall 2021. I wonder if concert events will be canceled again? I have some $ invested for four concert tours and I知 getting impatient. I need some live music.
Which is worse for your health, contracting covid or listening to Poison or Kiss?

Getting the virus at a concert is double jeopardy.

Stay home, stay safe.
Likes For skookum:
Old 12-23-20, 11:27 AM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Some concerts are already being moved to 2022. I guess losing some dough is better than catching death. If we can all get inoculated by August 2021 them maybe. 2021 will be another crummy year.
Old 12-23-20, 11:35 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 248 Posts
I've streamed a bunch of shows. My hope is that they use a hybrid model, and continue offering live streams once they're back. I'd consider that to be progress brought on by this bad situation.
Old 12-23-20, 11:38 AM
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 239 Posts
Some concerts are already being moved to 2022. I guess losing some dough is better than catching death. If we can all get inoculated by August 2021 them maybe. 2021 will be another crummy year.
I honestly don't expect to even get a chance at a first dose by then. I'll be amazed if any of my organized tours this summer take place.

Up here, they rely on local public schools for showers and restrooms and indoor/outdoor camping...and it would be just plain dumb for them to play host to unvaccinated sweaty dirty masses migrating through their towns. But, to be fair, lots of those towns are run and populated by well meaning but outright fool people.
Old 12-23-20, 12:25 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

I’m guessing some cities will prohibit events that could be a super spreader. Moving them to 2022 giving Vince Meal another year to get in shape. Then KISS can perform with a walker with tennis balls. I’m glad people are feeling good about 2021 but I think we have another crappy year to deal with. The nutcases will start emerging soon.
Old 12-23-20, 12:42 PM
CliffordK

Just claim they are political rallies with live music side-shows, you'll be fine.

Was Woodstock political?
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 12-23-20, 12:46 PM
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Just claim they are political rallies with live music side-shows, you'll be fine.

Was Woodstock political?
Some shows went on regardless....the fools that are PBR are on the road--of course they're based out of rural South Dakota IIRC...so go figure.

Problem isn't the venues, mostly...it is convincing Talent to risk their lives on the road when they don't need to. If you were loaded, and only went on the road because enjoyed it--would you right now? That, fundamentally, is why road touring shows have hung up their spurs. Also much Talent, is squarely in the comorbidity category--either due to age, or blood pressure, or due to lung problems from smoking etc.
Old 12-23-20, 01:06 PM
CliffordK

Like you say, many of the big name musicians from the 70's and 80's hopefully have enough money stashed away to cover their bills and can sit out another season. Some of the entertainers may be in their 70's, and would qualify to get the vaccine as soon as it is released to high risk community individuals.

Then there are all the small basement groups that play in bars and small venues. Or at times work as opening bands and intermission bands. Mostly comprising of talent in their late teens, twenties, and thirties. Some of them have second jobs and might survive. Others may be trying to make it as a small band. Those would be the ones that are most impacted by the disease.

Hopefully the good ones are developing a web presence and networking, but they need to make sure that brings in the cash.
Old 12-23-20, 01:06 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 262 Posts
IMHO, it all depends on vaccine availability, implementation and effectiveness. Best case, I can see things returning to normal by mid summer 2021. Worse case (virus mutation, unexpected serious side effects), who knows?

Old 12-23-20, 05:12 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

My 77 year old mom will get her shot on Dec 30. My sister who is 50 and is an educator will get hers on the 29th So that is cool. Me the Burro who will hit 53 in a about 6 weeks has to wait. I’m ok with that. Old people first and educators here are priority and of course first responders and medical professionals. So maybe late summer fall concerts will be ok. I will wait my turn to get that vaccine buzz and have my DNA altered and have a microchip placed in my head
Old 12-23-20, 05:22 PM
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

My 77 year old mom will get her shot on Dec 30. My sister who is 50 and is an educator will get hers on the 29th So that is cool. Me the Burro who will hit 53 in a about 6 weeks has to wait. I知 ok with that. Old people first and educators here are priority and of course first responders and medical professionals. So maybe late summer fall concerts will be ok. I will wait my turn to get that vaccine buzz and have my DNA altered and have a microchip placed in my head
Curious, how do you know? Your insurance call you, or what?
Old 12-23-20, 05:32 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 157 Posts
There are some socially distanced concerts now. Both outdoors and in theaters. That sort of thing will probably pick up in the summer. But they bring in a lot less revenue and are likely to showcase only lower level draws.

The big acts can't afford to run tours playing in socially spaced houses. They need every seat filled to pay the bills. And the more popular entertainers don't generally need the income, so they have less of an interest in putting themselves and their crews at risk. And the big tours are all insured. After taking a bath this year, the insurance companies aren't going to underwrite anything until they're damn sure the tour can be completed. And the premiums will surely rise.

So I don't think we'll see any big tours until 2022. Late 2021 we might start to see a few theater tours.

And Van Morrison probably ought to go on tour if he's going to run his mouth about it.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 12-23-20, 05:43 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
Curious, how do you know? Your insurance call you, or what?
San Antonio has several large medical centers and a co worker told her to get a slot online ASAP she works at a large San Antonio HS and the hospital said they would take the elderly. The slots were going fast as popular concert tickets that have there time and confirmation e-mail-receipt informing there time and that there will be a 20 minute observation after they get the shot. So many slots for this round of vaccine but only for a certain criteria. But yes skepticism is in my mind but this is from a highly respected hospital. I guess we will find out.

Now they said they will have to wait. They screwed up so no vaccine for them but they will be next Probably means summer 2021..

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 12-24-20 at 10:08 AM.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 12-24-20, 08:24 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

The more information I gather it’s look like 2022 before any major tours The guitarist for Def Leppard says it looks like it will be rescheduled again to 2022 if at all. Some band may say screw it move on and cancel altogether. I mean what can you do? I’m sure they want to play as I want to see the bands. It is just how it is. Stadium tours packed with people during a pandemic is crazy. Depending the amount of time it will take to get everyone vaccinated and that probably means all of 2021 we are in for another boring dangerous year. People are excited about the vaccines but implementing them will take a massive effort of patience and organization. Reality needs to set back in that we are a long way from the end. Beer is good medicine for coping but keeping the weight off will be harder than usual but the bikes provide hours of calorie burning fun. This real life twilight zone crap can test your resolve.