Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

We've got the antibody treatments, we're just not using them.

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 12-30-20, 11:28 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13040 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,303 Posts

A couple of good articles about the antibody treatments:

Antibody drugs used to treat Trump, others could cut Covid-19 hospitalizations by half, but they're not being used by the general public

What to Know About the Covid Antibody Drugs That Could Help Many

• Antibody drugs from Regeneron and Eli Lilly could reduce hospitalizations from Covid-19 by 50-70%.
  • About 65,000 doses are distributed to states by the U.S. government every week.
  • Only 5-20% of the doses are actually getting used, Operation Warp Speed's Moncef Slaoui said.
  • While the federal government has on hand almost 532,000 doses of the two drugs, and nearly 291,000 doses have been shipped out,

Is the government building a strategic stockpile during the middle of a crisis?

The problem is predicting who would need the treatment the most, and perhaps convincing them to take a potentially costly treatment (for the procedure, the drug is distributed free). Yet, beyond having a small buffer in individual medical facilities, there is no reason to just sit on the treatments.
Old 12-30-20, 03:10 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 123 Posts
Maybe someone should ask Fauci why these antibody drugs are not being used, that is, if you can trust the guy. The more I hear about him, the less I'm impressed with him. He's popular now only because he was the anti-Trump, which I understand, but if you take Trump out of the picture, which I have, he's not too impressive.

Old 12-30-20, 05:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 4887 Post(s)
Liked 2,114 Times in 1,264 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
Maybe someone should ask Fauci why these antibody drugs are not being used, that is, if you can trust the guy. The more I hear about him, the less I'm impressed with him. He's popular now only because he was the anti-Trump, which I understand, but if you take Trump out of the picture, which I have, he's not too impressive.

Or was Trump the anti-Fauci?
wuhhh?!
Old 12-30-20, 05:29 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 112 Posts
I don't know if Fauci has anything to do with it. I read an article a couple of months ago, that said these treatments were not so great, especially the Lilly one. The other problem being, not enough of these medications available to make a difference, even if they are worth using.
We have a new paper in the NEJM from the Eli Lilly effort on monoclonal antibodies against the coronavirus. And there’s no reason not to be up front about it: it’s disappointing.
My guess is that yes, we’ll see such a move. But how much difference it makes, that’s another question. As Matthew Herper details in this column at Stat, we have not prioritized production of these antibodies the way that we have vaccines, so there are (at the moment) only about 50,000 doses of the Regeneron cocktail available. A look at the map will suggest that the entire stockpile, even if given immediate authorization and Star Trek transporter-style distribution, would vanish into the national epidemic like a rock thrown into a pond. You’d have to look very hard to see its effects at all. We had around 80,000 new cases yesterday, and that number is going up. 50,000 doses of an antibody that seems to help cut down on hospital visits is not going to make much of a dent in that situation.
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipelin...from-regeneron
Old 12-30-20, 07:22 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDvCpygJqRU
Fauci is a very accomplished scientist. Not sure why you think he is not too impressive.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 12-30-20, 08:37 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Fauci is a very accomplished scientist. Not sure why you think he is not too impressive.
Its easier to concentrate on personality rather than policy.
Old 12-30-20, 09:21 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by skookum View Post
I don't know if Fauci has anything to do with it. I read an article a couple of months ago, that said these treatments were not so great, especially the Lilly one. The other problem being, not enough of these medications available to make a difference, even if they are worth using.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipelin...from-regeneron
I skimmed the NEJM article linked above

As with many diseases, most people do eventually get better. What I found was that in the placebo group,

9/143 in the placebo group were hospitalized.
5/309 in the three experimental groups were hospitalized.

That appears to be a pretty significant difference, although the number of patients were still low, and there were no deaths in the trial.

Guessing which patient would benefit the most from dosing early is difficult. Nonetheless, one can look at age, weight, and various medical conditions to predict patients that would have a higher likelihood of an poor outcome, and thus would benefit from the treatment.

Nonetheless, one might as well use what few doses we have now whiel the pandemic is raging rather than wait until after 99% are cured.
Old 12-30-20, 09:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 1,105 Posts
We're at the tail end of an administration led by an avowed and unabashed genetic supremacist who stuffed his administration with like-minded wealthy elitists.

I wonder why they've stockpiled potentially effective treatments, rather than making them available to the general public and funding a massively increased production to ensure ready availability?

But, hey, let's criticize Fauci and scientists whose comments vary as the evidence develops based on data obtained from rigorous analyses of evolving studies. If they can't take a rigid black and white world view that's inflexible in the face of evidence, clearly they'll fall for anything because they don't stand for something, even if it's wrong.
Old 12-30-20, 10:14 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
We're at the tail end of an administration led by an avowed and unabashed genetic supremacist who stuffed his administration with like-minded wealthy elitists.
He may be a genetic supremacist. And, thoughts and prayers will cure all.

But, as soon as he got a sniffle, he rushed off to the hospital to get the latest in experimental drugs.
Likes For CliffordK: