Has Anyone Here Been Vaccinated Yet?

Old 12-30-20, 12:05 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Has Anyone Here Been Vaccinated Yet?

I got my first shot of Moderna vaccine yesterday. I will have to follow up on the second shot at the end of next month. I'd have to say it was kind of emotional. After living in a world battered by Covid, it was nice to do something positive about it.

I was given some information that basically said this was not FDA approved and was operating under Emergency Usage Authorization (EUA). Also, had to sign a form with a whole bunch of disclaimers.

The shot itself feels like flu shots I've had in the past. However, my arm was pretty sore by evening. No other side effects. I also got a vaccination card as proof.
Old 12-30-20, 12:42 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Paramount, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 338 Posts
My wife got it last night. She works Hospice and thinks it is a necessary item for safety in nursing homes. No side effects yet. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 12-30-20, 01:42 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Daughter who works at a health clinic got the Moderna a couple of days ago. If it was suppose stop her insulting me, it was not effective. Seriously, no problems with her and the co-workers she mentioned.
Likes For debade:
Old 12-30-20, 06:00 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 387 Posts
THE BAD & THE GOOD > monday: went over the handlebars and broke my shoulder... pain is horrible because i won't take hydro or T3 BUT wed my doc called and said if i could be at the hospital in 2 hrs i could get 1 of the last doses out of the current batch ... i dragged my way there with the help of a friend and got a Pfizer shot > next shot on 1/20 ... 7+ tough weeks ahead but i may dodge the covid better than the pothole
Old 12-30-20, 09:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,107 Posts
Several real life friends work in health care -- doctors, nurses, EMTs, pharmacists, etc. -- who have received vaccines the past week or so. All reported the usual very mild side effects typical of flu shots and most vaccines. Soreness at the injection site. Feeling a little blah for a day or so.

At 63 with no comorbidites, pretty fit, etc., I'm not at the top of the priority list. I'll take it as soon as it's available. At first I figured it would take about three months but at the rate it's going it may be sooner. That expectation is partly based on the rampant denialism among other folks my age and older. So, oh-kay. More for the rest of us. Maybe in the long run that will benefit even the denialists, when the rest of us are no longer carriers of the Super Cooties Apocalypse.
Old 12-30-20, 09:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by jack pot View Post
THE BAD & THE GOOD > monday: went over the handlebars and broke my shoulder... pain is horrible because i won't take hydro or T3 BUT wed my doc called and said if i could be at the hospital in 2 hrs i could get 1 of the last doses out of the current batch ... i dragged my way there with the help of a friend and got a Pfizer shot > next shot on 1/20 ... 7+ tough weeks ahead but i may dodge the covid better than the pothole
Yikes! Been there. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

But there's nothing wrong with taking a little prescription pain med. If you can't sleep, your recovery may be impaired, along with reduced resistance to other cooties. So do consider taking those pain meds appropriate during the first week or two. It's not just for comfort but for adequate rest, very important now.

Melatonin can help. Ditto full spectrum CBD if you prefer to avoid prescription opiates. I take CBD rather than NSAIDs because my auto-immune disorder tends to make me break out in psoriatic rashes from aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. CBD is a bit more effective than NSAIDs and Tylenol, with no unwanted side effects.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-31-20, 04:16 AM
FBOATSB 

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 101 Posts
I've posted my opinions in other threads with regards to the "elites" jumping the line for vaccines. It may be starting "right at the source".
Bad publicity at any rate.
Old 01-03-21, 05:17 PM
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel

Bikes: Rodriguez Racing Tandem, Fondriest Steelie, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 227 Posts
My DIL got one and who has been working with patients. Now she will switch to administering the vaccine. We get no preferential treatment nor do we expect it. Am so disappointed we are not entitled elites.

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

Old 01-03-21, 06:34 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 76 Posts
I got it. pfizer. Felt a little rough for a day but that was that. Second dose in mid January.
Old 01-04-21, 03:51 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Yikes! Been there. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

But there's nothing wrong with taking a little prescription pain med. If you can't sleep, your recovery may be impaired, along with reduced resistance to other cooties. So do consider taking those pain meds appropriate during the first week or two. It's not just for comfort but for adequate rest, very important now.

Melatonin can help. Ditto full spectrum CBD if you prefer to avoid prescription opiates. I take CBD rather than NSAIDs because my auto-immune disorder tends to make me break out in psoriatic rashes from aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. CBD is a bit more effective than NSAIDs and Tylenol, with no unwanted side effects.
.... i'm using Nu Leaf CBD and 10mg melatonin and tylenol PM ...... sleeping in a chair .... i will never never underestimate the hardships of the disabled
Old 01-04-21, 08:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

.... i'm using Nu Leaf CBD and 10mg melatonin and tylenol PM ...... sleeping in a chair .... i will never never underestimate the hardships of the disabled
Yup, I've spent many nights and days in a recliner, for years after my back and neck were broken (my car was t-boned in 2001). No other way to get comfortable. I still sleep on the sofa occasionally because the firm back helps prop me up so I don't roll over onto my shoulder, which was broken and dislocated when I was hit by a car a second time in 2018. But most nights I can sleep in bed again. Memory foam mattresses are amazing.

BTW, be careful with Tylenol PM and similar multi-purpose meds, especially for colds/flu. They often contain one or more anticholinergics, which can cause problems for some folks, particularly as we get older, and in combination with other prescription meds. Tylenol PM contains diphenhydramine, an early and relatively primitive antihistamine that is now recommended only for emergencies such as allergic reactions to stinging insects, bug bits or reactions to foliage. Some multi-symptom cold/flu meds contain three or more anticholinergics, which can be very disruptive for some folks.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-04-21, 08:26 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2714 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 806 Posts
I've broken ribs several times. (Collarbone also each time but pain-wise, ribs are the biggie.) I set up several sleeping places. Start in be on my good side. Time to roll over and I go into the living room and sleep on the very different but very comfortable couch. Then an armchair. I kept the pillows and blankets at each station.

Learned this the hard way in the hospital. Nights one and two were weekend nights with the best nurse on. I'd ring to get rolled over and a a big, strong woman you wouldn't want to anger in a bar would roll me. It hurt through my IV opiates but was manageable. Monday night I rang again. A near petite nurse with nowhere near the needed strength. Pure hell! Never rang again. I slept the rest of the night on my guest chair. Borrowed my roommates different chair the next day for a third option. So I knew what to do when I got home.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-05-21, 08:06 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

^^^ 8 days out > left arm is swollen 2x the sz of my right and upper arm & chest is black ... only way to sleep is sitting up in a stuffed chair .... i don't have a recliner but i may have to get one because an ottoman doesn't work ... no prob with the tylenol pm YET .... got some THC gummies which i eat late at nite, also 1/2 an ambien if all else fails ........... i aint used to being this helpless and dependent on my X gf ................ maybe time to start getting some religion
Old 01-06-21, 10:53 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9689 Post(s)
Liked 1,959 Times in 1,336 Posts
^^^ 8 days out > left arm is swollen 2x the sz of my right and upper arm & chest is black ... only way to sleep is sitting up in a stuffed chair .... i don't have a recliner but i may have to get one because an ottoman doesn't work ... no prob with the tylenol pm YET .... got some THC gummies which i eat late at nite, also 1/2 an ambien if all else fails ........... i aint used to being this helpless and dependent on my X gf ................ maybe time to start getting some religion
OK, but none of that is due to a vaccine... Sorry about your crash. Been through a few myself.
Likes For genec:
Old 01-06-21, 12:38 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by genec View Post
OK, but none of that is due to a vaccine... Sorry about your crash. Been through a few myself.
... no bad side effects or soreness from the vax