Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Hospitals are full! Are you pulling back on your rides?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 12-30-20, 12:56 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

I live in L.A. County and ride 100 miles a week, more or less. L.A. County is also where the ICUs and hospitals are at 100% capacity and on the brink of overflowing. Covid is straining the medical system to the max. As a result, I'm thinking of easing back on rides since the holidays are predicted to make the current surge worse. I don't want to put any more stress on the system by having a crash, not to mention slowed emergency and intensive care should I get injured. Plus being stuck in a hospital full of Covid cooties! Yecch.

OTOH, I rationalize that riding keeps me strong and healthy as long as I the rubber side stays down on the pavement. If you live in an impacted area, what are your riding plans for the next few months?
Old 12-30-20, 01:09 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 134 Posts
Not pulling back on riding, but I ride more cautiously. No screaming descents, no riding heavily trafficked roads (except those that have separated bike lanes).
Likes For davester:
Old 12-30-20, 01:33 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 401 Posts
It's been more than 13 years since I've crashed or even fell with the bike, so no.
Old 12-30-20, 02:36 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 4891 Post(s)
Liked 2,128 Times in 1,271 Posts
Originally Posted by raceboy View Post
No.

ICU beds are at 67% capacity here. ICU bed occupancy is around that number in normal times.
10 inches of snow fell yesterday.
Its 25deg right now.

I pulled back on my riding because i dont enjoy riding in these conditions.
Zwift time.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-30-20, 02:43 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
It's been more than 13 years since I've crashed or even fell with the bike, so no.
You just jinxed yourself. I hardly crash anymore, actually I get hit by cars more than I crash, but I'd never say I'm not worried about crashing. I don't crash because I'm a careful, defensive rider and there's some luck thrown in there.

BTW, the last crash I had was back in 2013 or 14 and it was caused by a new bike that had the front wheel improperly trued, one side was relatively loose, but I'm always checking myself on dumb things I did that nearly got me in an accident, even to this day after riding for over 30 years.

As for the OP question. No, I don't ride less.
Old 12-30-20, 02:54 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
You just jinxed yourself. I hardly crash anymore, actually I get hit by cars more than I crash, but I'd never say I'm not worried about crashing. I don't crash because I'm a careful, defensive rider and there's some luck thrown in there.
Since 13 is considered unlucky it reverses the jinx. Double negative = positive.

I consider being hit by (or hitting) cars to be a crash. The worst kind of crash! I agree there is plenty we as riders can do to reduce the risks. Sometimes, being too careful/fearful actually increases the risk.
Old 12-30-20, 03:05 PM
work4bike

I've been hit by cars on four occasions, none were my fault and luckily I saw them all coming, so I count it as 1/2-a crash
Old 12-30-20, 03:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 657 Posts
Good to be cautious these days. Luckily I try to ride safely regardless and have certainly tried to a be a bit safer these days.
Old 12-30-20, 04:47 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 262 Posts
Being more cautious, and considering:

1. Avoiding riding.
2. Wearing a mask everywhere ... even in situations where it wasn't previously required (because of the more contagious variant now in the community).

Sucks.

Old 12-30-20, 07:54 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked 1,705 Times in 1,083 Posts
About the same. Starting Weight training again to mix things up and keep bike riding from getting stale. Luckily I ride in the boondocks so no exposure to people.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 12-30-20, 08:00 PM
Bigbus

Bikes: Giant Road Bike & Giant MTB $ Fuji Road Bike

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 147 Posts
Only the weather dictates my riding schedule!
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 12-30-20, 08:12 PM
BHG6

Bikes: BH G6, BMC Race Machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 31 Posts
I just cut back on licking door knobs....don't really consider riding to be "risky behavior"
Likes For BHG6:
Old 12-30-20, 10:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,107 Posts
Yup, I radically changed my riding and workouts this year, specifically to avoid burdening the health care system and to minimize my own risk of exposure to COVID. I worked in health care for years. Some real life friends are medical professionals -- doctors, nurses, EMTs, etc., -- so I know the drill.

Before 2020, I usually rode two or three group rides a week, usually a couple of fast group rides and a longer casual group ride. That was pretty much my cycling workout, and I did relatively fewer solo efforts.

But by the end of March I'd cut out all fast group rides and didn't join another casual group ride until July. Since then I've done only about one casual group ride a month. On casual rides I can wear a mask since I'm not breathing heavily or getting my heart rate up.

I noticed many of my younger friends continued hard group rides throughout the year, including close drafting. I've seen 'em on those rides. They're young enough that it's unlikely to affect them. But I can't take that chance. I'm not sure the risk of spreading it to coworkers and families ever penetrated their consciousness. It wasn't politically driven. They're just young and feel invulnerable, and assume everyone else is the same.

I always wait between group rides to assess my potential symptoms. I've had several urgent care medical appointments this year. My routine care appointments were either done by telephone or postponed indefinitely. But I had a few urgent care visits for an eye problem (posterior vitreous detachment, which necessitated very up close and personal exams, wearing full PPE), endocrinology, ENT and immunology (long term auto immune disorder). Hospitals and clinics are high risk so I always self-quarantine after those appointments. But the symptom of my auto immune disorder mimic most of the COVID symptoms, so it's impossible to tell the difference. I just have to wait a few days and see if I feel better. If I feel better in a day or so, it ain't COVID. It's just the usual crap I've been dealing with for more than 20 years.

So I've done 3-5 solo rides a week, usually the same limited routes of 20-40 miles, avoiding traffic as much as possible. No urban rides other than the occasional monthly group ride.

By September I was feeling stale and losing fitness and speed rather than getting stronger. So I switched up my workouts, cutting back from about 500-600 miles a month on the bike to around 300 miles. I started walking more, then jogging, usually 5-8 miles, two or three times a week. Same total monthly workout time, just fewer miles.

Even with walking/jogging I avoid traffic as much as possible. The few times I need to cross intersections reminds me that most drivers are terrible. Some are hostile, but most are just negligent and indifferent. The most dangerous part of every workout -- bike rides, walks or jogging -- is any intersection. There's a good reason why so many pedestrians "jaywalk." It's the least dangerous way to cross some streets. Intersections with pedestrian lights are government sanctioned kill zones, with a combination of pedestrian walk signals, right on red and left on flashing yellow all competing for the same 10 second window of opportunity. Pedestrians always lose.

And I'm trying to avoid the irony of being hit by a car while crossing legally at a crosswalk during a walk, while I was avoiding fast group bike rides to protect myself and others from the Super Cooties Apocalypse.

Last edited by canklecat; 12-30-20 at 10:05 PM.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-03-21, 05:37 PM
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel

Bikes: Rodriguez Racing Tandem, Fondriest Steelie, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 227 Posts
I was mountain biking which involves a high degree of risk (broken bones, concussion, etc) so I stopped that for road riding this year and found this forum.

Spent a week in the Sacramento area riding my road bike when the LA County ICUs hit 100% and the Sac area ICUs were running from 82-93% and quickly rising, so I retreated back to Wa where things are temporarily more sane but that will change with the Xmas and NY party crowd starts to succumb. Due to my over the top road biking, I am now injured and will be going to PT seeing a chiropractor and am taking anti-inflammatories so will be Staying off the bike anyway. Bah humbug. That reminds me, time to do PT rather than squandering my time here.

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-03-21, 05:59 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Took a week off the bike. Crummy weather anyways but back on a regular riding schedule tomorrow (Monday) but I’m extra cautious not to wreck by not hammering downhill, instead I just coast and enjoy the ride. Last place I want to go is the hospital.
Old 01-03-21, 08:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 13423 Post(s)
Liked 4,709 Times in 2,645 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
10 inches of snow fell yesterday.
Its 25deg right now.
​​​​​​Jealous!
Old 01-03-21, 09:02 PM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

If that happen here snow around a foot it would be a disaster area
Old 01-03-21, 09:53 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 157 Posts
No snow here, but we had 4" of rain officially and I clocked 6" in my yard. Got a year end ride in on the 30" but haven't seen a dry road since.

Covid doesn't change my riding as I don't think the risk of hospitalization is sufficient to enter into the equation. And I ride solo so there no group risk concern.
Old 01-03-21, 11:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 4891 Post(s)
Liked 2,128 Times in 1,271 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
​​​​​​Jealous!
The snow is great, but I would take your mountains in a heartbeat.
Old 01-03-21, 11:24 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 13423 Post(s)
Liked 4,709 Times in 2,645 Posts
We got two feet of snow at Snoqualmie Pass, but it's 32F.

If I thought riding a bike was likely enough to land me in the ER for this to be a consideration I wouldn't ride ever.
Old 01-04-21, 12:24 AM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
I wound up riding my usual 100 plus change last week while being cautious. But the numbers keep going up and I can’t control other cars or MUP users. Taking it day by day this week and VO may take a break.
Old 01-04-21, 12:41 AM
plowmanjoe

Bikes: 09' Cinelli Vigorelli, 95' trek 950

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I've never made biking decisions based on available hospital beds. Maybe if I was doing david blaine type magic stunts, but I don't think my biking is on that level yet.
Old 01-04-21, 09:28 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, Raleigh Team U.S.A.

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by raceboy View Post
I live in L.A. County and ride 100 miles a week, more or less. L.A. County is also where the ICUs and hospitals are at 100% capacity and on the brink of overflowing. Covid is straining the medical system to the max. As a result, I'm thinking of easing back on rides since the holidays are predicted to make the current surge worse. I don't want to put any more stress on the system by having a crash, not to mention slowed emergency and intensive care should I get injured. Plus being stuck in a hospital full of Covid cooties! Yecch.

OTOH, I rationalize that riding keeps me strong and healthy as long as I the rubber side stays down on the pavement. If you live in an impacted area, what are your riding plans for the next few months?
When's the last time you had a bike crash that required icu level of care?
Old 01-04-21, 09:43 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 13051 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,309 Posts
Interesting concept on reducing "risky activities" that can land a person in the hospital.

Fortunately, around here our hospitals aren't full, and I think they've been generally good at preventing spread of COVID within the facilities.

However, I really don't want a lengthy stay in a COVID ward. It would be both a physical hardship and a financial hardship.
Old 01-04-21, 09:57 AM
work4bike

Reducing your bike riding because of covid concerns is just people making excuses to drive in their cars. Just admit it, you're too lazy and want to drive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.