Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3160 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
Seriously? Its not just in the U.S.? Could that be why our fearless leader calls it the China virus? I never put that together. I wonder if other people know this too? Super appreciate the info. I feel like such an idiot.

Have a good day.
No worries ... you're not alone. I've had to inform others about that too. Seems like quite a few people think COVID was invented by a US political party.
Likes For Machka:
Old 01-04-21, 01:06 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 9673 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 1,328 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
I miss going to a pub that sponsored a music jam every Sunday night. The blues, the music I love and have played for 50 years. Going on stage and playing for a woman that had been going through the hell of stage 3 breast cancer for two years. She loves to dance like I love to ride. Also told me many times she loved my music. Her cancer is as big as my head injury. She knows that while I have no idea of the details of her journey, I completely get the magnitude. I see her as a fighter, tough as nails, and one who dances like I rode the season after my head injury - because we both had to. (She came to the jam 10 days after her double mastectomy, near out of it on drugs, but she danced, Fell, probably tore a bunch of stitches, but she did it. While others were admonishing her (not to her face) I stayed quiet, I knew exactly why she had to do it.

I miss her hugs. I never had attraction to her (the connection pre-cancer was that her SO was a Harley rider my age and had a riding background as long as mine; a fellow biker!) but after our conversation when I told her of my journey, those hugs were from the heart. I was on stage as she was leaving early 2 days before the big surgery. Stepped down for the hug, knowing she would never be the same. (And the following hugs were a rather intimate sharingf of her reconstruction journey.) A year later, COVID. Never learned her last name. Think of her a lot but when all this is done, it is highly unlikely I will ever see her again.

I also miss the music. The jam was lead by Robbie Laws, a gifted guitarist. The drummer and bass player were both pros who could play anything. I never knew who I was going up with and sometimes it was bad but there were other times, both with that great house band and with others that you would never guess, we hit it off. The magic of music. Sometimes we hit it off when Tonya was dancing. The real gift; to me.
I don't know your pubs, nor Tonya, but I do miss the local jams and open mike scene.... and I don't even play an instrument.

My wife is a singer and I often set up the mics and amps and am familiar to the other music folks (I can drive a soldering iron). We used to go out 2-3 times a week to a music event... and man, I miss that crazy beat!
Old 01-04-21, 01:54 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2713 Post(s)
Liked 1,172 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I don't know your pubs, nor Tonya, but I do miss the local jams and open mike scene.... and I don't even play an instrument.

My wife is a singer and I often set up the mics and amps and am familiar to the other music folks (I can drive a soldering iron). We used to go out 2-3 times a week to a music event... and man, I miss that crazy beat!
I don't sing. Play the harmonica through a mic and guitar amp. Living room now has 4 amps! (One's a PA amp so I can play accoustic through a PA mic. Inspired by Paul Butterfield's "Drifting and Drifting" which I saw him do the day I got the admissions letter from my 1st choice of colleges. That song, he opened and closed as usual though his harmonica mic cupped in his hands - classic Paul Butterfield sound - but for the middle instrumental he stepped up to the PA mic, the band quieted big time and he played his solo with the full effects from his hands.

Oh, fun side on playing in my living room. The sound of my first tube amp was good. Big step up from the solid state I started with. But several years later, I re-did the room with the new laminate flooring replacing deep carpet. Set the amp down on it beside the stereo speaker, right where I had it before. Put on my favorite song. Played the first note and it was "Wow!" This amp and room just came alive!"

The many amps is because I have been plagued with feedback on stage so I've been on a quest to find the amp that sounds good, is loud enough and feedback free. Seems I now have it. Only drawback - 50 pounds. This skinny aging guy has had to get into lifting weight so he can get it on stage and off without hurting himself or taking forever. (It is a jam.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-04-21, 05:31 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 4725 Post(s)
Liked 1,431 Times in 841 Posts
The good news is that it will be April soon.
Old 01-04-21, 07:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 652 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
The good news is that it will be April soon.
What is going on in April that is going to be different aside from potentially warmer conditions and potentially more rain? COVID isn't going anywhere aside from spreading as far and wide as humans will allow it which is quite far and wide looking at the current situation!
Old 01-04-21, 07:36 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Well, I heard that in April it miraculously goes away.

Just not sure which April...
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 01-04-21, 11:35 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 3160 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 251 Posts
Well, I heard that in April it miraculously goes away.

Just not sure which April...
I heard that it would miraculously go away in November 2020 ... and then again in January 2021.

Someone would come into power somewhere and would get rid of it ... *snap* ... just like that.
Old 01-05-21, 12:08 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 4887 Post(s)
Liked 2,114 Times in 1,264 Posts
Old 01-05-21, 11:06 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Machka View Post
I heard that it would miraculously go away in November 2020 ... and then again in January 2021.

Someone would come into power somewhere and would get rid of it ... *snap* ... just like that.
Yeah, right... as if it was not a real global pandemic...

Stay safe down there in Oz.
Old 01-05-21, 11:52 AM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,075 Posts
Old 01-05-21, 08:07 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Yeah, right... as if it was not a real global pandemic...

Stay safe down there in Oz.
An island off an island, we aren't doing too bad, last case of community transmission was months ago. I still wouldn't lick a hand rail, but I will go to the pub...
Our biggest risk is returning travelers and the virus escaping from the quarantine system, that's how all of our previous flare ups started. The UK/SA variant has some authorities worried as it might escape easier.
Old 01-05-21, 08:11 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post

The point was not that it would actually go away, but that it is and always was relatively inconsequential and grossly overplayed by the media. It was the media attention and public concern that was projected by some to go away on the dates noted.
Old 01-05-21, 09:29 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
The point was not that it would actually go away, but that it is and always was relatively inconsequential and grossly overplayed by the media. It was the media attention and public concern that was projected by some to go away on the dates noted.
Full hospitals around the country makes it hardly "inconsequential."
Likes For genec:
Old 01-06-21, 11:58 AM
Zedoo
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Sunlight kills the virus. Shutting most of the population inside away from sunlight is stupid on this particular issue plus generally unhealthy for most people. Part of the response to the 1918 flu was move to sunnier areas. Moving to flooded Florida or desert states running out of water would be a shorter term solution now, but there are architectural options, starting with less hovels in towers and more separate entrances to apartments. In winter, we need to ride more to get the same amount of sunlight of short summer rides.
Old 01-06-21, 12:20 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Originally Posted by Zedoo View Post
Sunlight kills the virus. Shutting most of the population inside away from sunlight is stupid on this particular issue plus generally unhealthy for most people. Part of the response to the 1918 flu was move to sunnier areas. Moving to flooded Florida or desert states running out of water would be a shorter term solution now, but there are architectural options, starting with less hovels in towers and more separate entrances to apartments. In winter, we need to ride more to get the same amount of sunlight of short summer rides.
Arizona has the highest infection rate in the world right now and it is sunny and perfect to be outside every day and has been for the past couple months.

The vast majority of apartment buildings in the desert regions of AZ have outdoor access to every apartment.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 01-06-21, 02:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 4887 Post(s)
Liked 2,114 Times in 1,264 Posts
During the summer in the northern hemisphere, the virus continued to roll thru populations left and right, even though people were out and about. Warm sunny areas were flooded with covid cases.
Experts say that Summertime = people are indoors using AC which moves the virus all over the place. Experts say that Wintertime = people are indoors because its cold and the virus spreads.

In the US, there was very very little 'shutting most of the population inside away from sunlight' during the summer, yet the virus didnt go away and cases continued to roll thru areas like waves.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-06-21, 04:27 PM
Zedoo
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Arizona has the highest infection rate in the world right now and it is sunny and perfect to be outside every day and has been for the past couple months.
The vast majority of apartment buildings in the desert regions of AZ have outdoor access to every apartment.
Arizona has fungal lung infections (valley fever) and probably other factors affecting respiratory health, but which state currently has the highest covid rate is a trivial detail when everyone will get it eventually. The important detail is how many die of it, minus the deaths of people who had it but died mostly of other causes.

AZ has far too much sunlight for my pale skin, plus the lack of water and Californication of costs of living. Kentucky is my approximate limit of moving south. Maybe Nebraska for slightly southwards and more sky.
Old 01-06-21, 05:22 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Arizona has fungal lung infections (valley fever) and probably other factors affecting respiratory health, but which state currently has the highest covid rate is a trivial detail when everyone will get it eventually. The important detail is how many die of it, minus the deaths of people who had it but died mostly of other causes.

AZ has far too much sunlight for my pale skin, plus the lack of water and Californication of costs of living. Kentucky is my approximate limit of moving south. Maybe Nebraska for slightly southwards and more sky.
Oh you are one of those..

never mind
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 01-07-21, 08:27 AM
genec
genec

Oh you are one of those..

never mind
Hey, don't forget the "Downwinders."

Sorry man, just had to do it.

BTW in case anyone is wondering... "valley fever" is a central California issue too... Gee, is it any wonder the "elites" prefer the coasts?
Old 01-08-21, 12:16 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2713 Post(s)
Liked 1,172 Times in 801 Posts
It seems that uranium isn't a suitable vaccine/sanitizer for COVID. Shucks.