Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Cannondale BadBoy 1 vs. BMC Alpenc. AC02 IGH for medium-exercise-recreational-use

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cannondale BadBoy 1 vs. BMC Alpenc. AC02 IGH for medium-exercise-recreational-use

Old 07-17-15, 04:53 PM
  #1  
abfahrt
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale BadBoy 1 vs. BMC Alpenc. AC02 IGH for medium-exercise-recreational-use

I am looking for a general purpose bike for recreational and medium exercise use.
Driven on Bike paths, both gravel and paved.
(https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...ional-use.html)

I narrowed my search to:
  • Cannondale BadBoy 1
  • BMC Alpenchallange. AC02 IGH


Both have Alfine 8.

Question #1 : Those bikes tend to be labeled as commuter bikes. Are those still good choice for my use case?

Question #2 : Any pros and cons between the two bikes? Main difference that I see is the fork, shock, and chain or belt.
abfahrt is offline  
Old 07-17-15, 07:04 PM
  #2  
NormanF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,737
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by abfahrt View Post
I am looking for a general purpose bike for recreational and medium exercise use.
Driven on Bike paths, both gravel and paved.
(https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...ional-use.html)

I narrowed my search to:
  • Cannondale BadBoy 1
  • BMC Alpenchallange. AC02 IGH


Both have Alfine 8.

Question #1 : Those bikes tend to be labeled as commuter bikes. Are those still good choice for my use case?

Question #2 : Any pros and cons between the two bikes? Main difference that I see is the fork, shock, and chain or belt.

For under $2,000 - they're both great bikes and the Shimano Alfine gear hub is rugged and reliable. Considering the hub alone costs as much an entry level bike, the price is in line with what you'd get.

As a modern update to the old Raleigh Sports, either bike should fulfill what you ask of it.
NormanF is offline  
Old 07-18-15, 07:10 AM
  #3  
abfahrt
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How big of a deal is the difference of the front shock on the BadBoy vs. not having it on the BMC?
I am assuming I would need to change the tires on the BadBoy as well for gravel use?


P.S. Does anyone have a sizing chart for the BadBoy? I am 178cm. With the BMC it turns out I need a M. With BadBoy a L?

Last edited by abfahrt; 07-18-15 at 08:01 AM.
abfahrt is offline  
Old 07-18-15, 11:44 AM
  #4  
NormanF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,737
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The fork is not a big difference. With 32-35 c tires you should be fine on gravel.

With the Bad Boy, go with M as well.

You should test them if you happen to be between sizes and in that case go for the smaller one.
NormanF is offline  
Old 07-18-15, 03:07 PM
  #5  
abfahrt
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
The fork is not a big difference. With 32-35 c tires you should be fine on gravel.

With the Bad Boy, go with M as well.

You should test them if you happen to be between sizes and in that case go for the smaller one.

I couldn't find a sizing chart for the Bad Boy 1. But I trust your advice.
Also, trying to find the differences between the BB1 2015 and 2016. Are there any?
abfahrt is offline  
Old 07-18-15, 03:09 PM
  #6  
NormanF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,737
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by abfahrt View Post
I couldn't find a sizing chart for the Bad Boy 1. But I trust your advice.
Also, trying to find the differences between the BB1 2015 and 2016. Are there any?
Component changes are typically minor. Unlike with cars, bike models usually remain stable from year to year.
NormanF is offline  
Old 07-19-15, 07:18 AM
  #7  
abfahrt
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW. is it possible to convert the BB1 Alfine 8 from Chain to belt?
abfahrt is offline  
Old 07-19-15, 09:00 AM
  #8  
NormanF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,737
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by abfahrt View Post
BTW. is it possible to convert the BB1 Alfine 8 from Chain to belt?
No. If you want a belt drive, go custom. I don't think you can do it on an off-the-shelf bike.
NormanF is offline  
Old 07-19-15, 05:05 PM
  #9  
abfahrt
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was able to try out an older BB1 in M. It felt a bit small. I am thinking going L.
However, there is no 2015 L in stock anymore. None in any Chicagoland store. A sports store with online presence has them in stock. However, they are not allowed to ship to Illinois.
2016 are coming out in mid-August, the earliest.
abfahrt is offline  
Old 07-20-15, 08:32 PM
  #10  
abfahrt
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I can't find an L to test I am trying to find out more about potential body measurements that I could take to determine proper size.

I can't find any sizing info on Cannondale's web site.
abfahrt is offline  
Old 09-05-15, 10:41 PM
  #11  
Dilberto
Senior Member
 
Dilberto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 968
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by abfahrt View Post
How big of a deal is the difference of the front shock on the BadBoy vs. not having it on the BMC?
I am assuming I would need to change the tires on the BadBoy as well for gravel use?


P.S. Does anyone have a sizing chart for the BadBoy? I am 178cm. With the BMC it turns out I need a M. With BadBoy a L?
If riding on rough urban terrain, the Bad Boy will be a relief to the hands and arms. I rode both and prefer the Bad Boy overall...
Dilberto is offline  
Old 09-05-15, 11:15 PM
  #12  
NormanF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,737
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I bought a GT Eightball.... with Shimano Alfine 8 speed IGH.

An IGH bike with hydraulic disc brakes was too good to pass up.

Stock tires don't cut it on the trail but this urban bad boy can take to gravel and hardpack terrain with a tire upgrade...
NormanF is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jaypeeq
Road Cycling
27
06-08-19 03:45 PM
tdilf
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
24
11-12-17 08:50 AM
josullivan
General Cycling Discussion
15
12-25-15 07:53 PM
deadpool4514
Hybrid Bicycles
5
03-02-15 01:28 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.