Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Is the Shimano ST R700 Short Reach Dual Conrol Shifters Hydraulic?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Is the Shimano ST R700 Short Reach Dual Conrol Shifters Hydraulic?

Old 12-29-16, 01:25 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Van Buren, AR
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the Shimano ST R700 Short Reach Dual Conrol Shifters Hydraulic?

So I am in need of a short reach road bike lever set for a Tiagra set-up on a Giant Revolt 1 cyclocross bike with hydraulic disc brakes.

My only 2 questions are 1) is the Shimano ST R700 Short Reach Dual Conrol Shifters Hydraulic compatible or just mechanical disc compatible?

Well I guess next question should be, 2) if not, what are my options for small hands on a road bike drop bar?

Thanks in advance.
teket911 is offline  
Old 12-29-16, 08:41 AM
  #2  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 381

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
They are mechanical only. They are just like Shimano Ultegra 10sp 6600 series or 105 5600 series.

You need the new Hydraulic ST-RS505 or ST-RS685 but these are 11sp. These both have a reach adjustment so you can bring the lever closer for smaller hands.
ct-vt-trekker is offline  
Old 12-29-16, 03:40 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Van Buren, AR
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ct-vt-trekker
They are mechanical only. They are just like Shimano Ultegra 10sp 6600 series or 105 5600 series.

You need the new Hydraulic ST-RS505 or ST-RS685 but these are 11sp. These both have a reach adjustment so you can bring the lever closer for smaller hands.

Thanks Trekker! Appreciate the quick reply.

Since we're on the subject, how do these differ from stock ones? Is the reach that much more on these than stock? I mean stock ones come with shims like 5mm and 10mm. Are these actually better or just the same?
teket911 is offline  
Old 01-01-17, 09:56 AM
  #4  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 381

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
The ST R700 came out before shimano offered shims for their other 105 or Ultegra shifters. These were the first shifters that had the shims offered. They look to be the same size and shape as the Ultegra 6600 except with the shims the lever could be setup closer to the handlebars. They came with 4 degree and 8 degree shims. Later shimano offered shims for the standard Ultegra shifters so the R700 was no longer necessary.
After I bought the R700s I found out that Specialized made shims for the 6600 shifters so I could have just bought the shims and saved myself a bunch of money.
My wife is still using these R700 shifters, they have over 25000 miles on them and are still working perfectly.
ct-vt-trekker is offline  
Old 01-03-17, 02:09 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Tim_Iowa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 1,643

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by teket911
So I am in need of a short reach road bike lever set for a Tiagra set-up on a Giant Revolt 1 cyclocross bike with hydraulic disc brakes.

My only 2 questions are 1) is the Shimano ST R700 Short Reach Dual Conrol Shifters Hydraulic compatible or just mechanical disc compatible?

Well I guess next question should be, 2) if not, what are my options for small hands on a road bike drop bar?

Thanks in advance.
The specific bike you're asking about (Giant Revolt 1) uses a special mechanical-to-hydraulic converter (the Giant "Conduct" System).

Contact your local Giant dealer to be sure, but I think that you can use any mechanical drop-bar brake lever with that system.

HOWEVER, your bike also uses Tiagra 4700 derailleurs, which are only compatible with Tiagra 4700 shifters and no other Shimano shifters.

So, I think you're stuck with the system you have, unless you want to replace the shifters AND derailleurs. Ergo, you should contact your local dealer and see if they have the shims for Tiagra 4700, like @ct-vt-trekker mentioned.
Tim_Iowa is offline  
Old 01-03-17, 02:20 PM
  #6  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 381

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa
The specific bike you're asking about (Giant Revolt 1) uses a special mechanical-to-hydraulic converter (the Giant "Conduct" System).

Contact your local Giant dealer to be sure, but I think that you can use any mechanical drop-bar brake lever with that system.

HOWEVER, your bike also uses Tiagra 4700 derailleurs, which are only compatible with Tiagra 4700 shifters and no other Shimano shifters.

So, I think you're stuck with the system you have, unless you want to replace the shifters AND derailleurs. Ergo, you should contact your local dealer and see if they have the shims for Tiagra 4700, like @ct-vt-trekker mentioned.


The reach on ST-4700 shifters are adjustable, shims are no longer needed on these new style shifters. See page 14 of document DM-ST0002-04 on this page. SHIMANO Dealer's Manual / User's Manual
ct-vt-trekker is offline  
Old 01-03-17, 03:14 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Tim_Iowa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 1,643

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ct-vt-trekker
The reach on ST-4700 shifters are adjustable, shims are no longer needed on these new style shifters. See page 14 of document DM-ST0002-04 on this page. SHIMANO Dealer's Manual / User's Manual
Very nice! Good find.
Tim_Iowa is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
teket911
Road Cycling
3
12-29-16 09:44 PM
Barrettscv
Bicycle Mechanics
11
02-05-16 02:41 PM
casjr2171
Road Cycling
5
11-27-13 07:46 PM
smallet
Road Cycling
1
04-14-12 04:42 AM
|3iker
Bicycle Mechanics
57
11-04-10 05:25 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.