Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Tamland 1 vs Jamis Renegade Expat

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Raleigh Tamland 1 vs Jamis Renegade Expat

Old 01-27-17, 12:55 PM
  #1  
I donít live in Tampa
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 447

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Raleigh Tamland 1 vs Jamis Renegade Expat

Looking for opinions on comparison of these two bikes.

Main differences seem to be the groupset. 105 for raleigh vs tiagra for renegade. I've used tiagra so that's not a big deal to me. steel frame. reynolds 631 for raleigh vs reynolds 520 for renegade. I'm doubtful there's a big noticeable difference there but maybe somebody else can say otherwise.

on corporate raleigh site tamland is $1139. renegade expat is $1199

one benefit with the renegade is I can purchase it from LBS which includes a bike fit. and when possible, I definitely like to purchase from LBS.

I'm leaning towards the jamis since I can buy it from LBS and the differences are marginal from my perspective.

any thoughts on why raleigh would be significantly better than the james?
biketampa is offline  
Old 01-27-17, 01:33 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,608

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
The Tamland is just a slightly nicer bike. 631 will likely be a bit lighter than 520. 5800 is an absolutely terrific groupset and a bit better than 4700. The brakes, tires and wheels are all comparable between the two bikes. Tough call. I'd probably go for the Raleigh but I don't personally care about LBS support.

Also, the Tamland at full retail of $1,999 is overpriced but at the corporate price actually is a good deal.
Hiro11 is offline  
Old 01-27-17, 01:41 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: MA
Posts: 512

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the Raleigh is a better bike, but the cost savings come from knowing how to assemble, service and fit yourself.
athrowawaynic is offline  
Old 01-28-17, 01:31 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 147

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the color and overall aesthetic of the Tamland 1 more. I think its gearing makes more sense for recreational use as well. At MSRP I'd take the Renegade Exploit over the Tamland 1 to get the full 105 hydro groupset and nicer cockpit. But with the corp discount the Tamland 1 is a sweet deal over the Renegade Expat, even if you decide to pay the LBS to build it up.
birru is offline  
Old 01-28-17, 04:12 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,608

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Building up a mailed bike is very easy. Usually:
- bolt on the the stem and bar
- mount the front caliper
- mount the front rotor on the wheel
- put on the front wheel
- adjust the saddle
- pump up the tires

... and that's it. Usually, the drive train and brakes come adjusted. Super easy.
Hiro11 is offline  
Old 01-28-17, 06:16 PM
  #6  
I donít live in Tampa
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 447

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Building up a mailed bike is very easy. Usually:
- bolt on the the stem and bar
- mount the front caliper
- mount the front rotor on the wheel
- put on the front wheel
- adjust the saddle
- pump up the tires

... and that's it. Usually, the drive train and brakes come adjusted. Super easy.
I'm not too concerned with building up the bike. I have friend who used to be a full time bike mechanic and still does some out of his house so he'll help if need be.
biketampa is offline  
Old 01-28-17, 06:48 PM
  #7  
I donít live in Tampa
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 447

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by birru
I like the color and overall aesthetic of the Tamland 1 more. I think its gearing makes more sense for recreational use as well. At MSRP I'd take the Renegade Exploit over the Tamland 1 to get the full 105 hydro groupset and nicer cockpit. But with the corp discount the Tamland 1 is a sweet deal over the Renegade Expat, even if you decide to pay the LBS to build it up.
I agree the aesthetics of the Tamland are better. I like Jamis bikes since I think they usually give pretty good bang for your buck but they're usually pretty bland. Functional? Yep. But nothing exciting.
biketampa is offline  
Old 01-28-17, 07:46 PM
  #8  
Full Member
 
Joeyseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Northwest
Posts: 416

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
2016 Tamland 2 Ultegra $1100 but only size 56 left.

Nothing wrong with tiagra.But I prefer 105 or Ultegra for my road bikes.
Joeyseven is offline  
Old 01-28-17, 10:18 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
GeneO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,528

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Tamland 2 was always at the top of my short list. Got a Specialized instead though.
GeneO is offline  
Old 01-29-17, 08:30 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven
2016 Tamland 2 Ultegra $1100 but only size 56 left.

Nothing wrong with tiagra.But I prefer 105 or Ultegra for my road bikes.
Wow if that had a carbon fork I'd be all in. My size and my color.
shoota is offline  
Old 01-29-17, 09:48 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
I agree the aesthetics of the Tamland are better. I like Jamis bikes since I think they usually give pretty good bang for your buck but they're usually pretty bland. Functional? Yep. But nothing exciting.
You think the current Expat is boring looking? I actually think it looks pretty sharp.
shoota is offline  
Old 01-29-17, 06:47 PM
  #12  
I donít live in Tampa
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 447

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
You think the current Expat is boring looking? I actually think it looks pretty sharp.
I haven't seen it in person. I have a jamis road bike and a jamis mountain bike. I like their bikes but in find them very utilitarian. Obviously I've purchased their bikes so it doesn't bother me that much
biketampa is offline  
Old 01-30-17, 04:03 AM
  #13  
Full Member
 
Joeyseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Northwest
Posts: 416

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Wow if that had a carbon fork I'd be all in. My size and my color.
The 2017 Tamland 2 has carbon fork and Thru Axles.
But changed to SRAM Rival 1X drivetrain and about $200 more.
Would like to test ride A 1x,but I'm sure my old legs would not like.
Joeyseven is offline  
Old 01-30-17, 07:58 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
I haven't seen it in person. I have a jamis road bike and a jamis mountain bike. I like their bikes but in find them very utilitarian. Obviously I've purchased their bikes so it doesn't bother me that much
Yeah same here but my wife's Xenith road bike is very sharp and not what I would consider boring. It's not flashy but it's classy.

Originally Posted by Joeyseven
The 2017 Tamland 2 has carbon fork and Thru Axles.
But changed to SRAM Rival 1X drivetrain and about $200 more.
Would like to test ride A 1x,but I'm sure my old legs would not like.
Yeah I'm not a fan of 1X yet. I like to have the big range and the ability to drop down to the small ring if I get unexpectedly bogged down for some reason.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 01-30-17, 10:19 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Looking at the geo numbers I can't decide if 56 or 58 would be right. I'm on a 56cm every thing else but the Tamland's head tube isn't that tall for a gravel bike..
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 01-30-17, 12:32 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven
2016 Tamland 2 Ultegra $1100 but only size 56 left.

Nothing wrong with tiagra.But I prefer 105 or Ultegra for my road bikes.
Man this just keeps getting more tempting. Is there anything to not like about it? I guess it could have bottle and/or rack mounts on the fork legs like a lot gravel bikes have now. I wonder how good the wheels are, I"m not familiar with them and can't find much info on them.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 01-30-17, 09:51 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 147

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the 2016 Tamland 2 uses QR and I'd prefer thru axles on a gravel bike with discs. On the other hand the fork is steel so you could easily add low rider racks that clamp to the fork blades and attach to the fender eyelets or dropout. I don't know anything about the wheels, but they're 32h and I expect they'd be durable and probably on the heavy side. I presume TL means tubeless compatible.
birru is offline  
Old 01-31-17, 09:32 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by birru
Well the 2016 Tamland 2 uses QR and I'd prefer thru axles on a gravel bike with discs. On the other hand the fork is steel so you could easily add low rider racks that clamp to the fork blades and attach to the fender eyelets or dropout. I don't know anything about the wheels, but they're 32h and I expect they'd be durable and probably on the heavy side. I presume TL means tubeless compatible.
I think you're right about all that.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Donsell
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
85
06-19-19 01:03 PM
dymsza
Hybrid Bicycles
0
08-14-16 04:56 AM
palu
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
1
10-20-11 05:29 PM
Brimstone_
Road Cycling
29
04-02-11 02:16 PM
ChrisM
Folding Bikes
27
08-04-10 06:53 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.