Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What did you just buy for your gravel bike?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What did you just buy for your gravel bike?

Old 08-11-17, 10:28 AM
  #76  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
AX150D - Cyclocross Clincher Disc Brake Wheels - PSIMET Custom Wheels

Just ordered these. Will see what they are like when I get them. Sounds pretty much bombproof for what I need them for...
RockiesDad is offline  
Old 08-13-17, 07:38 PM
  #77  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 172

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll, Salsa Pistola, Surly 1x1, All-City Nature Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New set of WTB Wheels

WTB frequency team wheels on Deore XT hubs. Walked out 3 miles the other day after the freehub on my reynolds blew up. Actually i lowered the saddle and adult balance biked it for awhile.
egear is offline  
Old 08-15-17, 08:24 AM
  #78  
- Soli Deo Gloria -
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,782

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 468 Posts







Sportcrafters High Inertia Drum for my existing rollers
TimothyH is offline  
Old 08-15-17, 08:42 AM
  #79  
just keep riding
 
BluesDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milledgeville, Georgia
Posts: 13,560

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Building up some road plus wheels

wheelbuild by Benny Watson, on Flickr
BluesDawg is offline  
Old 08-20-17, 09:09 PM
  #80  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Just bought a set of Kenda Flintridge Pro tubeless for my Raleigh Tamland 1.


Zman
Zurichman2 is offline  
Old 08-28-17, 02:42 PM
  #81  
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,331

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Wooohooooo. Finally found someone with stock of the new Vittoria 700x40 Tirreno Dry tires.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


Luckily...even though they aren't listed as Prime they're coming in 2 days....catch being my front Panaracer GK has a ton of life left in it
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 08-28-17, 02:59 PM
  #82  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Wooohooooo. Finally found someone with stock of the new Vittoria 700x40 Tirreno Dry tires.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


Luckily...even though they aren't listed as Prime they're coming in 2 days....catch being my front Panaracer GK has a ton of life left in it
have you used them? I'm skeptical about the tread pattern compared to a file tread like the GK
redlude97 is offline  
Old 08-28-17, 03:15 PM
  #83  
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,331

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
have you used them? I'm skeptical about the tread pattern compared to a file tread like the GK
Hehe, they don't get here until Wednesday. Not sure when I'll put them on, probably have another couple weeks on my rear GK and another few months on my front.

Things I don't like about the GKs:

-The files clog with mud when it is wet...at which point you're on a slick anyway in effect.
-If you spend much of your time on pavement the file tread feels slow.
-In pea gravel, the file tread doesn't do much good anyway, you're limited by the size of the tire.
-GKs tick off people trying to paceline ...they kick up a ton of gravel in your wake.


Wanting to try something a bit more slick-ish for a bit. The GKs are nice tires (and I can get them cheap from my LBS), but they tend to either be overkill (hardpack limestone-chip rails/trails) or underkill (pea gravel roads) here for me much of the time.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 08-28-17, 03:20 PM
  #84  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Hehe, they don't get here until Wednesday. Not sure when I'll put them on, probably have another couple weeks on my rear GK and another few months on my front.

Things I don't like about the GKs:

-The files clog with mud when it is wet...at which point you're on a slick anyway in effect.
-If you spend much of your time on pavement the file tread feels slow.
-In pea gravel, the file tread doesn't do much good anyway, you're limited by the size of the tire.
-GKs tick off people trying to paceline ...they kick up a ton of gravel in your wake.


Wanting to try something a bit more slick-ish for a bit. The GKs are nice tires (and I can get them cheap from my LBS), but they tend to either be overkill (hardpack limestone-chip rails/trails) or underkill (pea gravel roads) here for me much of the time.
I guess the idea is similar to the conti speed king, just seems like the hex pattern won't do anything and they should have just made it smooth
redlude97 is offline  
Old 08-29-17, 01:12 PM
  #85  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central PA
Posts: 4,843

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
After struggling for the last year, I decided that as most of the gravel around here are fireroads up hills, I needed to lower my gearing, so I just ordered a Shimano Deore M615 38/24 crankset to replace the Shimano FC-CX50 46/36 that's on there right now. Should make my life easier, and perhaps, slower, but going fast is what I own a road bike for!

Also I'm throwing out my cheapo Tektro mini-V brakes, and replacing them with Paul Minimotos.
dr_lha is offline  
Old 08-30-17, 03:59 PM
  #86  
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,331

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I guess the idea is similar to the conti speed king, just seems like the hex pattern won't do anything and they should have just made it smooth
They're here! Album located here:

Tirrene tires - Album on Imgur

So Depending on which label you read these tires are either "700x38C" or "ETRTO 40-622". WTF. Maybe they were just covering their buts.When mounted they're 40.5mm on my SL25 rims. For reference, the "40mm" Panaracer GKs measured 44.5mm IRL on these rims. They snapped right into place with my compressor (and the tubeless valve core removed), and stayed snapped while putting the valve in and pumping up better than the GKs. The tread pattern is a bit more raised than it looks online....also for whatever reason Vittoria says the tread is directional. Got me as to why.

Will see how they ride tonight after dinner.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 08-30-17, 04:26 PM
  #87  
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 8,123
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 465 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
AX150D - Cyclocross Clincher Disc Brake Wheels - PSIMET Custom Wheels

Just ordered these. Will see what they are like when I get them. Sounds pretty much bombproof for what I need them for...
That seems like a really good deal.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 08-30-17, 04:29 PM
  #88  
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,331

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by chemtrailsnifer
Look at the side knobs.
From the side they don't look they'd be that directional, be squarish trapezoids but oh well.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 08-30-17, 04:30 PM
  #89  
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 8,123
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 465 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Hehe, they don't get here until Wednesday. Not sure when I'll put them on, probably have another couple weeks on my rear GK and another few months on my front.

Things I don't like about the GKs:

-The files clog with mud when it is wet...at which point you're on a slick anyway in effect.
-If you spend much of your time on pavement the file tread feels slow.
-In pea gravel, the file tread doesn't do much good anyway, you're limited by the size of the tire.
-GKs tick off people trying to paceline ...they kick up a ton of gravel in your wake.


Wanting to try something a bit more slick-ish for a bit. The GKs are nice tires (and I can get them cheap from my LBS), but they tend to either be overkill (hardpack limestone-chip rails/trails) or underkill (pea gravel roads) here for me much of the time.
Couldn't agree more. Heck, they annoy me with how much gravel they kick up. I'm not kidding when I say I've been hit in the face a couple times and my jersey pockets collect little bits of gravel. It's an annoying tire.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 08-30-17, 04:33 PM
  #90  
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 8,123
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 465 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
They're here! Album located here:

Tirrene tires - Album on Imgur

So Depending on which label you read these tires are either "700x38C" or "ETRTO 40-622". WTF. Maybe they were just covering their buts.When mounted they're 40.5mm on my SL25 rims. For reference, the "40mm" Panaracer GKs measured 44.5mm IRL on these rims. They snapped right into place with my compressor (and the tubeless valve core removed), and stayed snapped while putting the valve in and pumping up better than the GKs. The tread pattern is a bit more raised than it looks online....also for whatever reason Vittoria says the tread is directional. Got me as to why.

Will see how they ride tonight after dinner.
The sizing label is normal. The new GKs are that way, the Maxxis Ramblers are too I think. I forget why they do that, it has some to do with the cross section or something. Anyway, it's a 38mm tire that looks to ballon out to 40 on wide rims. I'm anxious to hear how they do on loose climbs with that tread.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 09-01-17, 08:47 AM
  #91  
purity of essence
 
scotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 2,260

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
I just bought a Brooks B17 off eBay for a good price. I figured what the hell. Been hearing about them for years, I figured I might as well try one and give it a fair shake.
scotch is offline  
Likes For scotch:
Old 09-01-17, 02:47 PM
  #92  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Eastern CT
Posts: 24

Bikes: Trek Domane SL Di2, Giant TCR 2004, Salsa Beargrease 2015, Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Industry 9 AR25 alloy wheelset. Lighter, wider and better CLD implementation (uses small lock rings) than my Boyd/White Altamont Lites. My 30mm G-1 tires expand to 33.5mm on the 21.5mm id of the AR 25's. Easiest tubeless setup I've ever had & a fantastic ride.
bikesailor is offline  
Old 09-01-17, 05:56 PM
  #93  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
The sizing label is normal. The new GKs are that way, the Maxxis Ramblers are too I think. I forget why they do that, it has some to do with the cross section or something. Anyway, it's a 38mm tire that looks to ballon out to 40 on wide rims. I'm anxious to hear how they do on loose climbs with that tread.
same. Need a good fast rolling cross tire for dry races, but I'm skeptical about the tread.
redlude97 is offline  
Old 09-01-17, 09:03 PM
  #94  
Senior Member
 
GeneO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,528

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
New frame (after accident), Diverge 2016 frameset, new saddle - phenom expert and new helmet Specialized airnet.
GeneO is offline  
Old 09-02-17, 12:43 PM
  #95  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 77

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Cross // 2014 Scott Addict 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just snagged my first pair of MTN bike shoes for my 2-week old Cross bike, as well as the Crank Bros Double Shot pedals. Excited to use these for gravel rides & commuting!
MattyMurdah is offline  
Old 09-02-17, 05:50 PM
  #96  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: PNW
Posts: 197

Bikes: Cutthroat, Scalpel, Roubaix, Sequoia, SuperX, Diverge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
getting a power meter for my new Diverge, along with some 42c tires to replace the 38c trigger pros that come with the bike
sgtrobo is offline  
Old 09-05-17, 09:26 AM
  #97  
Senior Member
 
DarKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 619

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Bought a pair of WTB Byway tires. Was going to get the Panaracer Gravelking SK 27.5x1.9 but I think the slick center tread will last longer for me since I primarily ride road with some off road.
DarKris is offline  
Old 09-05-17, 10:23 AM
  #98  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Elwood Indiana
Posts: 7,529

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked 1,083 Times in 410 Posts
I just bought a whole gravel bike..
sloar is offline  
Old 09-05-17, 10:34 AM
  #99  
Behold my avatar:
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 1,045

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 440 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
I just bought a whole gravel bike..
For your gravel bike?
Like, so it could have a friend?
Thats sweet of you!
dgodave is offline  
Old 09-05-17, 10:39 AM
  #100  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Elwood Indiana
Posts: 7,529

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked 1,083 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave
For your gravel bike?
Like, so it could have a friend?
Thats sweet of you!
I bought a Niner RLT 9 for my Jamis Renegade. I don't think the Jamis is going to be happy.
sloar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.