Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sawtooth 42mm - reviews?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Specialized Sawtooth 42mm - reviews?

Old 07-01-17, 12:40 AM
  #1  
tyrion
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,834

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 812 Posts
Specialized Sawtooth 42mm - reviews?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...s-ready/117719

Anyone tried this? I'm interesting in it's puncture protection, "Endurant Casing and BlackBelt" - whatever does that mean?

I would be using it 73% on paved roads and 27% on dirt and gravel.
tyrion is offline  
Old 07-01-17, 09:58 AM
  #2  
NormanF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,737
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
It has a kevlar/polyurethane type puncture protection casing. Would be good for running it off trail.

Should be sufficient but if its not enough, a high quality tire liner would give you a second layer of protection.
NormanF is offline  
Old 07-02-17, 01:06 PM
  #3  
tyrion
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,834

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 812 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
It has a kevlar/polyurethane type puncture protection casing. Would be good for running it off trail.

Should be sufficient but if its not enough, a high quality tire liner would give you a second layer of protection.
Thanks. I think I'll give them a try.
tyrion is offline  
Old 07-02-17, 05:26 PM
  #4  
BluesDawg
just keep riding
 
BluesDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milledgeville, Georgia
Posts: 13,560

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
The sidewall casing is very tough and helps prevent pinch flats. You can run them pretty low and you'll need to for a soft ride. Better yet, run them tubeless. I run about 25F/35R on mine for mixed surfaces.
BluesDawg is offline  
Old 07-17-17, 09:49 PM
  #5  
jbandt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have about 1000 miles on my sawtooth's. Great tire! Mostly asphalt with a little dirt here and there. No flats yet and I still run tubes. They do feel better at lower pressures. 25f/35r feels good. I bumped them up a bit from that since I'm a heavy guy. 120 tpi is comfy and they feel fast-ish to me. Best all-around tire I've found so far.
jbandt is offline  
Old 07-21-17, 09:21 PM
  #6  
sgtrobo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: PNW
Posts: 197

Bikes: Cutthroat, Scalpel, Roubaix, Sequoia, SuperX, Diverge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
pretty impressive tire. For as big as they are, they are remarkably fast-rolling and puncture resistant. They go tubeless easy. Not ideal for gravel, but decent. Just don't try to rail any turns, as they semi-slick tread isn't really made for that
sgtrobo is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 01:30 PM
  #7  
cellery
Senior Member
 
cellery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think they are ideal for riding fast on gravel. Mainly I like that they are incredibly puncture resistant, setup tubeless easily, accept low 20s or high 50s pressure range and zigzags are cool anyway.

Cons - they are heavy. I do wish specialized would make maybe a lite version of the Sawtooth with say a hundred grams taken off the puncture belt and/or sidewall. I think then it would be maybe the best multi-surface tire around in that size range.
cellery is offline  
Likes For cellery:
Old 07-25-17, 01:50 PM
  #8  
winston63 
Senior Member
 
winston63's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 699

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...s-ready/117719

Anyone tried this? I'm interesting in it's puncture protection, "Endurant Casing and BlackBelt" - whatever does that mean?

I would be using it 73% on paved roads and 27% on dirt and gravel.
I've been running them on my AWOL for the past 4 months. In my opinion they are surprisingly fast on pavement and great on gravel.

My only issue is that I've had bad luck with flats while riding on pavement. Maybe it's just coincidence, but they seem to be glass magnets and I've found small shards of glass are drawn in between the tread & which result in a puncture.

It could just be a run of bad luck, but it's got me paranoid enough that I'm taking them off for my upcoming tour & saving them for some gravel riding.
winston63 is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 02:25 PM
  #9  
tyrion
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,834

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 812 Posts
Originally Posted by winston63 View Post
My only issue is that I've had bad luck with flats while riding on pavement. Maybe it's just coincidence, but they seem to be glass magnets and I've found small shards of glass are drawn in between the tread & which result in a puncture.
Yeah I got some a couple weeks ago. I really like them. No flats yet but that kind of tread worries me. It sure looks like a glass magnet.
tyrion is offline  
Old 07-25-17, 06:29 PM
  #10  
winston63 
Senior Member
 
winston63's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 699

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
Yeah I got some a couple weeks ago. I really like them. No flats yet but that kind of tread worries me. It sure looks like a glass magnet.
You will probably be OK - it's not like there's widespread reports of issues with them, and it could just have been bad luck for me. But as I said upthread I'm taking them off for my next all pavement tour (in fact, I just took them off) because I'm now paranoid enough that I don't want to chance any more issues, particularly on tour.

But I really love how the tires ride, and I think they're terrific in gravel. I'll put 'em back on when I'm not riding so much pavement.
winston63 is offline  
Old 07-26-17, 11:08 AM
  #11  
winston63 
Senior Member
 
winston63's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 699

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by winston63 View Post
You will probably be OK - it's not like there's widespread reports of issues with them, and it could just have been bad luck for me. But as I said upthread I'm taking them off for my next all pavement tour (in fact, I just took them off) because I'm now paranoid enough that I don't want to chance any more issues, particularly on tour.

But I really love how the tires ride, and I think they're terrific in gravel. I'll put 'em back on when I'm not riding so much pavement.
Well, I'll just note that the Sawtooths sure run faster and simply feel better than the Schwalbe Marathons I put on! I'll stick with the Marathons for my tour, but man the Sawtooths really are a nice tire.
winston63 is offline  
Old 07-26-17, 12:58 PM
  #12  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,975
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
I would be using it 73% on paved roads and 27% on dirt and gravel.
Whew! If you had said 75% road and 25% gravel I would have had to recommend a different tire.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 07-26-17, 02:48 PM
  #13  
tyrion
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,834

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 812 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Whew! If you had said 75% road and 25% gravel I would have had to recommend a different tire.
Yep. 2% more road and I'd need a completely different tire.

tyrion is offline  
Old 07-28-17, 10:31 AM
  #14  
theVelvetLie
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 31

Bikes: 2009 Spooky Skeletor, 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 2013 Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These came on my Sequoia. I had a rash of flats after about 1,000 miles of commuting riding. I didn't spend much time, if any, on gravel, but I got a decent cut in the rear from a shard of glass that forced me to get new tires and set up tubeless. They're on the heavy side, but they are comfy.
theVelvetLie is offline  
Old 09-28-19, 01:04 AM
  #15  
coolflippers
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Made an account just for this

I have ridden ~440.4 miles up ~20,050' and down ~19,986' since September 7th on a new Sequoia Elite, stock insofar as this thread is concerned, all in Sonoma county. I have had three flats in the front and one in the rear. I took the tires and tubes off my wheels today. The rear tire was holding air after an inner tube patch this week, and the inner wall of the tire had no indications by sight or touch of penetration. However, the front tire had not been holding air all week, and I had patched the front inner tube twice the week prior. The front tire had a small sharp object penetrating the inner wall, could hardly see it, though it was obvious to the touch. Then I determined that the loss of air over this week was due to another hole in the front inner tube, but I really had to blow up the tube to find it. The first two flats on the front inner tube were near the valve, one after the next, which leads me to believe that the third flat in the front inner tube (my fourth in under three weeks) was due to the object while the first two were mere pinch flats.

I got a good deal on the bike, but it's fair to point out that Specialized seems to make nearly every bicycle component, save for drivetrain. I think they're putting too much on their plate.
coolflippers is offline  
Old 09-28-19, 11:21 AM
  #16  
wsteve464
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by coolflippers View Post
I have ridden ~440.4 miles up ~20,050' and down ~19,986' since September 7th on a new Sequoia Elite, stock insofar as this thread is concerned, all in Sonoma county. I have had three flats in the front and one in the rear. I took the tires and tubes off my wheels today. The rear tire was holding air after an inner tube patch this week, and the inner wall of the tire had no indications by sight or touch of penetration. However, the front tire had not been holding air all week, and I had patched the front inner tube twice the week prior. The front tire had a small sharp object penetrating the inner wall, could hardly see it, though it was obvious to the touch. Then I determined that the loss of air over this week was due to another hole in the front inner tube, but I really had to blow up the tube to find it. The first two flats on the front inner tube were near the valve, one after the next, which leads me to believe that the third flat in the front inner tube (my fourth in under three weeks) was due to the object while the first two were mere pinch flats.

I got a good deal on the bike, but it's fair to point out that Specialized seems to make nearly every bicycle component, save for drivetrain. I think they're putting too much on their plate.
Set up the tires tubeless and forget about flats. I had the same problem when I started riding again, a flat every other ride, either road debris or goatheads (Southern Calif area) went tubeless flats are a thing of the past unless it is something major like a sidewall cut.
wsteve464 is offline  
Likes For wsteve464:
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Hondo Gravel
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
17
01-07-19 07:48 AM
vinuneuro
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
4
03-23-18 01:53 PM
vinuneuro
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
35
05-11-17 09:07 AM
Barrettscv
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
27
02-13-17 03:29 PM
Glynn Sluder
Mountain Biking
2
04-01-11 02:52 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.