Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cx advice

Old 09-06-17, 02:03 AM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cx advice

Hi everyone!
I'm hoping for some advice. I'm currently on a road bike and I love it. Since winter is soon here I would like to buy a winter-training bike. And I thought a cyclocross would be a lot of fun. Main goal is to broaden my horizons (i.e. Gravel roads) But I also would like to participate in some cyclocross races/training sessions. Might buy another wheel set and use for road runs wintertime.
I have been looking at cannondale CAADX. Went to LBS the other day and came home with CAADX 105 SE. After coming home realizing it's the "gravel" version of CAADX.
Differences being
CAADX 105 SE geared 48/32 instead of 36/46. Wtb st rims instead of "cx2.0" rims. And wider tyres 37mm instead of 33mm.
The question now is which one suits better? havent been doing any cx at all. Will the gearing suit cx at all?
Are the wtb wheels purely for MTB?

Hope to get some help
Gusen is offline  
Old 09-06-17, 09:17 AM
  #2  
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,762 Times in 2,560 Posts
I think you'll do fine with that bike. Maybe if you find out you are a world-class cx racer, you'll have to upgrade. I have heard of cx officials enforcing the pro tire width in amateur races, so if you run into one of those idiots you may have problems. Why do so many people with authority complexes end up as officials? Don't answer that.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 09-06-17, 10:44 AM
  #3  
Full Member
 
justin1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 469

Bikes: yes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Gusen
Hi everyone!
I'm hoping for some advice. I'm currently on a road bike and I love it. Since winter is soon here I would like to buy a winter-training bike. And I thought a cyclocross would be a lot of fun. Main goal is to broaden my horizons (i.e. Gravel roads) But I also would like to participate in some cyclocross races/training sessions. Might buy another wheel set and use for road runs wintertime.
I have been looking at cannondale CAADX. Went to LBS the other day and came home with CAADX 105 SE. After coming home realizing it's the "gravel" version of CAADX.
Differences being
CAADX 105 SE geared 48/32 instead of 36/46. Wtb st rims instead of "cx2.0" rims. And wider tyres 37mm instead of 33mm.
The question now is which one suits better? havent been doing any cx at all. Will the gearing suit cx at all?
Are the wtb wheels purely for MTB?

Hope to get some help
The 32 chainring is probably a little small for cross specific purposes. If you're a strong enough rider you could just never shift out of the 48... For general purpose off roading the gearing looks pretty good to me.

I wouldn't worry about the tire size or the wheels. For CX, it becomes more about tread than width. And you'll end up with different tires for different conditions if you stick with it
justin1138 is offline  
Old 09-06-17, 12:28 PM
  #4  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks! Think I'll stick with what I got then.
It's possible to change later anyways.
Thanks again
Gusen is offline  
Old 09-06-17, 02:04 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
chas58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,863

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I think you are fine. For most bike riding, I think the range of 48/32 is going to be more useful. If it really bugs you, you can always swap out the 32 for a 36 chain ring...
chas58 is offline  
Old 09-07-17, 03:31 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 2,896
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,491 Times in 874 Posts
Originally Posted by justin1138
If you're a strong enough rider you could just never shift out of the 48...
48t is pretty big for CX racing. 32t is pretty small. Most 1x setups for CX racing are somewhere around a 40t chainring. I run a 36/46 and am entirely in the small ring for most races.

This bike with 32/48 would work, of course, but there will be a lot of shifting between big/small rings during a CX lap. Still, not a reason to not buy the bike. The OP could always swap out to a more traditional setup down the road if CX racing becomes more of a priority.

CAADX is a nice bike. Congrats on the purchase.
msu2001la is offline  
Old 09-07-17, 03:34 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 2,896
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,491 Times in 874 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think you'll do fine with that bike. Maybe if you find out you are a world-class cx racer, you'll have to upgrade. I have heard of cx officials enforcing the pro tire width in amateur races, so if you run into one of those idiots you may have problems. Why do so many people with authority complexes end up as officials? Don't answer that.
Seriously? Outside of something like nationals, this makes no sense.
I get if you're on the front row/winning CX races on a MTB at a regional or national level, but for the most part people on mountain bikes at local races are newbies just having fun and trying something new.
msu2001la is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
cmh
Cyclocross Racing
10
11-19-18 01:24 PM
hhk25
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
25
02-23-18 02:23 PM
guchhugger
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
31
11-12-17 08:26 PM
brianbeech
Road Cycling
43
10-31-10 06:54 AM
ShogunMSB
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
0
09-23-10 01:16 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.