Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Kona Jake the Snake

Old 09-19-17, 06:22 PM
  #1  
shoota 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,979
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 417 Posts
Kona Jake the Snake

Does anyone have any ride reports on this frame? I'm looking at a 2016 to build up but I'm curious how it rides on gravel. I like the geo, I hear 38-40mm tires will fit and the price is right but I don't want to ride a harsh frame either.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 09-21-17, 02:48 PM
  #2  
chris406
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Does anyone have any ride reports on this frame? I'm looking at a 2016 to build up but I'm curious how it rides on gravel. I like the geo, I hear 38-40mm tires will fit and the price is right but I don't want to ride a harsh frame either.
No personal experience however my local Gravel/MTB only bike shop sells several of those a week. By far their most popular and recommended bike.
chris406 is offline  
Old 09-22-17, 09:49 AM
  #3  
shoota 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,979
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by chris406 View Post
No personal experience however my local Gravel/MTB only bike shop sells several of those a week. By far their most popular and recommended bike.
Yeah I found an acquaintance with a Private Jake (essentially the same frame) and he had good things to say about it. Thanks.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 09-28-17, 08:28 PM
  #4  
ricohman
Senior Member
 
ricohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I use my 2016 JTS for gravel. And some long distance gravel events. I use 41mm 120tpi Knards and it rides great.
The 41's at 35/40psi make the ride smooth.
I also run a Wolf tooth drop link and a SRAM 11-36 cassette for the super steep hills.
Very happy with it. I could tour on this bike no problem.
ricohman is offline  
Old 09-29-17, 09:59 AM
  #5  
shoota 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,979
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by ricohman View Post
I use my 2016 JTS for gravel. And some long distance gravel events. I use 41mm 120tpi Knards and it rides great.
The 41's at 35/40psi make the ride smooth.
I also run a Wolf tooth drop link and a SRAM 11-36 cassette for the super steep hills.
Very happy with it. I could tour on this bike no problem.
Gah now you're making me wish I had bought it.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
D-Fuzz
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
56
06-17-19 07:46 AM
rosefarts
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
12
04-03-19 07:05 AM
kidadam
Touring
35
03-23-19 06:27 PM
Noctilux.95
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
20
07-17-18 09:41 AM
greentrees
Hybrid Bicycles
3
10-28-15 10:30 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.