Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

SuperX coming

Old 10-10-17, 11:33 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
SuperX coming

I've got a 2015 SuperX frameset coming and I'm not super up to speed on disc rotor compatibility. The bike came specced with a 140mm rotor in the rear but the wheels I'm going to use on it have a 160mm rotor installed. Do I need a 140mm rotor or will the 160mm work? Or is this just a matter of testing it out to see if will work or not?
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 10-10-17, 05:14 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
160mm clearance will be tight. I use 140mm on mine
redlude97 is offline  
Old 10-10-17, 06:26 PM
  #3  
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,779

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Depending on the frame and calipers, it may be possible to use an adapter. It may not be possible but it might be.

As an example, my Niner comes with 140 mm rotors from the factory but the adapter which came with the front caliper was able to be used with both 140 mm and 160 mm rotors by flipping it. I had to purchase an adapter to be added to the rear which moved the caliper away from the axle by 10 mm. Longer caliper mounting bolts were required. Modern Bike has an excellent selection of small parts such as caliper mounting bolts.

The adapters are visible bolted to the bottom of the calipers in the photo below. Note that this is flat mount but the idea is the same for different mounting systems - the adapters move the caliper further away from the axle. The front caliper is on the right. The marking "Up for 140" has a corresponding "Up for 160" on the other side. The adapter on the caliper to the left was added to the rear.



Figuring out which adapters you need is the difficult part. There are 9,853,621 different adapters and which one to use is as clear as mud.


-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 10-10-17 at 06:33 PM.
TimothyH is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 07:07 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
160mm clearance will be tight. I use 140mm on mine
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Depending on the frame and calipers, it may be possible to use an adapter. It may not be possible but it might be.

As an example, my Niner comes with 140 mm rotors from the factory but the adapter which came with the front caliper was able to be used with both 140 mm and 160 mm rotors by flipping it. I had to purchase an adapter to be added to the rear which moved the caliper away from the axle by 10 mm. Longer caliper mounting bolts were required. Modern Bike has an excellent selection of small parts such as caliper mounting bolts.

The adapters are visible bolted to the bottom of the calipers in the photo below. Note that this is flat mount but the idea is the same for different mounting systems - the adapters move the caliper further away from the axle. The front caliper is on the right. The marking "Up for 140" has a corresponding "Up for 160" on the other side. The adapter on the caliper to the left was added to the rear.



Figuring out which adapters you need is the difficult part. There are 9,853,621 different adapters and which one to use is as clear as mud.


-Tim-
Thanks guys, the fork arrived damaged (disc mount is loose) so I'm not sure what's going to happen.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 08:07 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Depending on the frame and calipers, it may be possible to use an adapter. It may not be possible but it might be.

As an example, my Niner comes with 140 mm rotors from the factory but the adapter which came with the front caliper was able to be used with both 140 mm and 160 mm rotors by flipping it. I had to purchase an adapter to be added to the rear which moved the caliper away from the axle by 10 mm. Longer caliper mounting bolts were required. Modern Bike has an excellent selection of small parts such as caliper mounting bolts.

The adapters are visible bolted to the bottom of the calipers in the photo below. Note that this is flat mount but the idea is the same for different mounting systems - the adapters move the caliper further away from the axle. The front caliper is on the right. The marking "Up for 140" has a corresponding "Up for 160" on the other side. The adapter on the caliper to the left was added to the rear.



Figuring out which adapters you need is the difficult part. There are 9,853,621 different adapters and which one to use is as clear as mud.


-Tim-
The issue would be rotor clearance on the chainstay, not the caliper itself in this case
redlude97 is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 11:29 AM
  #6  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Might want to just get a 140mm rotor. They are not that expensive unless you want the best...
RockiesDad is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 11:51 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Thanks guys, the fork arrived damaged (disc mount is loose) so I'm not sure what's going to happen.
A tapered thru axle fork might be a good upgrade at this point if you can convince the seller for a decent refund, or a repair should be pretty straight forward
redlude97 is offline  
Old 10-11-17, 03:05 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
Might want to just get a 140mm rotor. They are not that expensive unless you want the best...
I'm not opposed to 140mm, I'll try 160mm since that's what I have and go from there.

Originally Posted by redlude97
A tapered thru axle fork might be a good upgrade at this point if you can convince the seller for a decent refund, or a repair should be pretty straight forward
I'm kinda torn about which way to go. The seller is looking into what his contacts at Cannondale can do for us. Ideally they would just send a new fork. But I'm not holding my breath on that one. Second choice (and most expensive) is to get the Ritchey CX TA fork. That would be awesome. It wouldn't match like the original but it would be awesome.

https://ritcheylogic.com/wcs-carbon-disc-tapered-fork
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 10-12-17, 04:24 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
FWIW here the clearance with a 140mm rotor. 160 looks like it would fit but I'd worry about mud clearance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20171012_074853.jpg (604.3 KB, 54 views)
redlude97 is offline  
Old 10-13-17, 07:22 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
FWIW here the clearance with a 140mm rotor. 160 looks like it would fit but I'd worry about mud clearance
Yeah I borrowed a wheel yesterday and built it up with a 140mm rotor, I'll just run that. That way I don't have to use an adapter for the brake caliper either. Thanks for the pic!
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Brocephus
Bicycle Mechanics
7
06-22-19 06:59 PM
johngwheeler
Bicycle Mechanics
7
06-01-17 11:37 AM
AdvXtrm
Touring
27
10-08-16 07:54 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Bicycle Mechanics
21
06-12-13 03:44 AM
Ritterview
Tandem Cycling
32
03-11-11 11:06 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.