Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Buffalo 105 gravel race, central Iowa

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Buffalo 105 gravel race, central Iowa

Old 10-15-17, 07:26 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Buffalo 105 gravel race, central Iowa

I just got registered for the 105 miler. Anyone of you locals wanna join me in some suffering?

Buffalo 105 - Newton, Iowa - Gravel Cyclist: The Gravel Cycling Experience
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is online now  
Old 10-15-17, 08:50 AM
  #2  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,708

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11052 Post(s)
Liked 7,600 Times in 4,239 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I just got registered for the 105 miler. Anyone of you locals wanna join me in some suffering?

Buffalo 105 - Newton, Iowa - Gravel Cyclist: The Gravel Cycling Experience
Bikemig and i will be there, but doing the 55mi route.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 10-15-17, 09:00 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Bikemig and i will be there, but doing the 55mi route.
Awesome! I知 pretty sure the first 55mi loop is the same for both. How will I find you guys?
shoota is online now  
Old 10-15-17, 09:03 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 20,475

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5902 Post(s)
Liked 3,521 Times in 2,102 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Awesome! I’m pretty sure the first 55mi loop is the same for both. How will I find you guys?
I'll be the only guy riding an old bike, a 1991 specialized team stumpjumper,

It's been modded since this picture but this is will give you an idea of what it looks like

bikemig is offline  
Old 10-15-17, 09:07 AM
  #5  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,708

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11052 Post(s)
Liked 7,600 Times in 4,239 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Awesome! I知 pretty sure the first 55mi loop is the same for both. How will I find you guys?
Ha, i was gonna say that the easiest way will be to look for probably the only other 2 steel bikes.

Hopefully the excellent forecasted weather brings a large group of riders!
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 10-15-17, 09:10 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Ha! Well I値l be on my light green steel Tamland! As of right now there are 19 signed up for the 105, so I知 guessing there are probably more for the 55.
shoota is online now  
Old 10-15-17, 09:19 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 20,475

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5902 Post(s)
Liked 3,521 Times in 2,102 Posts
If I have the time, I'll get my 1993 Bridgestone XO 2 up and running. I really need to build a rear wheel but I have a cheesy looking set of cheap wheels I picked up from Nashbar that I could use . . . .

It was one of the early "gravel" bikes since it is a road bike design built around 26 inch wheels (which in '93 was your best choice for fat tires). Drop bars would be good for this ride,

bikemig is offline  
Old 10-15-17, 09:22 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
If I have the time, I'll get my 1993 Bridgestone XO 2 up and running. I really need to build a rear wheel but I have a cheesy looking set of cheap wheels I picked up from Nashbar that I could use . . . .

It was one of the early "gravel" bikes since it is a road bike design built around 26 inch wheels (which in '93 was your best choice for fat tires). Drop bars would be good for this ride,

Nice! I like it.
shoota is online now  
Old 10-15-17, 05:29 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
I'm trying to get switched over to the 55 miler. I don't know what I was thinking with the 105er..
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is online now  
Old 10-16-17, 12:40 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 20,475

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5902 Post(s)
Liked 3,521 Times in 2,102 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm trying to get switched over to the 55 miler. I don't know what I was thinking with the 105er..
It's pretty informal. No one will care if you do the 55 rather than the 105; you just sign in for the right distance so no one is worried about you. Besides @mstateglfr and I more or less brought up the rear of the ride last year. We weren't quite the lanterne rouge of the 55 mile ride but we were pretty damn close!
bikemig is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 12:46 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 20,475

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5902 Post(s)
Liked 3,521 Times in 2,102 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ha, i was gonna say that the easiest way will be to look for probably the only other 2 steel bikes.

Hopefully the excellent forecasted weather brings a large group of riders!
Originally Posted by shoota
Ha! Well I値l be on my light green steel Tamland! As of right now there are 19 signed up for the 105, so I知 guessing there are probably more for the 55.
I'm having serious commitment issues when it comes to which steel bike to bring.

I'm starting to lean towards bringing my '93 B'stone MB 1. I picked it up earlier this summer. The bike is so pristine that it needs a dusty ride just to break it in. The bike will need an overhaul before the ride but hey that's why they invented beer, right?

bikemig is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 01:07 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
It's pretty informal. No one will care if you do the 55 rather than the 105; you just sign in for the right distance so no one is worried about you. Besides @mstateglfr and I more or less brought up the rear of the ride last year. We weren't quite the lanterne rouge of the 55 mile ride but we were pretty damn close!
Originally Posted by bikemig
I'm having serious commitment issues when it comes to which steel bike to bring.

I'm starting to lean towards bringing my '93 B'stone MB 1. I picked it up earlier this summer. The bike is so pristine that it needs a dusty ride just to break it in. The bike will need an overhaul before the ride but hey that's why they invented beer, right?

Nice. Well I think I'm going to put my best effort in. That's the big reason I decided to do the 55 instead of the 105, it suits my style better. And by style I mean that it seems impossible for me to pace myself lol.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is online now  
Old 10-16-17, 09:20 PM
  #13  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 14

Bikes: Cannondale Tandem, Framed Course, Salsa Warbird, SE Fatie, Framed Gravier, Reid Transit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’m signed up for the 55 as well! But I don’t ride steel, aluminum is my go to.
See you Saturday!
Gravelmark is offline  
Old 10-17-17, 10:00 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravelmark
I知 signed up for the 55 as well! But I don稚 ride steel, aluminum is my go to.
See you Saturday!
See you there!
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is online now  
Old 10-20-17, 01:50 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Bikemig and i will be there, but doing the 55mi route.
Dang guys, I gotta bail on the ride I hope the weather holds out for you!
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is online now  
Old 10-20-17, 01:54 PM
  #16  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,708

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11052 Post(s)
Liked 7,600 Times in 4,239 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Dang guys, I gotta bail on the ride I hope the weather holds out for you!
No worry- Miguel strained a muscle and cant get thru the route either.

Next up for you to look into- CIRRUM
CIRREM

Nothing like a late February metric century thru Iowa!
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 10-20-17, 01:56 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 20,475

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5902 Post(s)
Liked 3,521 Times in 2,102 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
No worry- Miguel strained a muscle and cant get thru the route either.

Next up for you to look into- CIRRUM
CIRREM

Nothing like a late February metric century thru Iowa!
This would be a fun route to do in the fall as well.

Have fun tomorrow!
bikemig is offline  
Old 10-20-17, 01:58 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
No worry- Miguel strained a muscle and cant get thru the route either.

Next up for you to look into- CIRRUM
CIRREM

Nothing like a late February metric century thru Iowa!
Back to back 60F days in February ?!?!?
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is online now  
Old 10-20-17, 02:02 PM
  #19  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,708

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11052 Post(s)
Liked 7,600 Times in 4,239 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Back to back 60F days in February ?!?!?
They were on the first Saturday of March, but yeah, the last 2 years have been REALLY mild winters. My oldest daughter told me last year that she is losing out on the greatest years of her life because of no snow. A touch dramatic, but when a 10yo only gets to sled a couple times in a year and its not even good snow, I see her point.
Maybe this upcoming year will make a 3peat.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 10-20-17, 02:05 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
They were on the first Saturday of March, but yeah, the last 2 years have been REALLY mild winters. My oldest daughter told me last year that she is losing out on the greatest years of her life because of no snow. A touch dramatic, but when a 10yo only gets to sled a couple times in a year and its not even good snow, I see her point.
Maybe this upcoming year will make a 3peat.
Don't tell your daughter but I'm very, VERY ok with another mild winter.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is online now  
Old 10-22-17, 08:20 PM
  #21  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,708

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11052 Post(s)
Liked 7,600 Times in 4,239 Posts
Well 23 did the 55mi and 7 finished the 105mi race.
16.4mph won the 55mi race and 16.8mph won the 105mi race. Impressive, given the wind and climbing.
I managed to hit the goal i set once i knew of the wind and averaged 12.5mph which got me 11th.

The rain held off until the evening, which was awesome, but the constant 20-30mph winds were brutal!
The 2800' of climb had almost no rollers, so it was just climb after climb, with most of it wither into the wind or a side wind.

One guy was blown over on a downhill with a crosswind. He sucked it up and did the 105, bloodied arm be damned. Impressive.

The last 10mi were finally with the wind, which was a relief for sure.

Cant wait for next year!
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 09:04 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Well 23 did the 55mi and 7 finished the 105mi race.
16.4mph won the 55mi race and 16.8mph won the 105mi race. Impressive, given the wind and climbing.
I managed to hit the goal i set once i knew of the wind and averaged 12.5mph which got me 11th.

The rain held off until the evening, which was awesome, but the constant 20-30mph winds were brutal!
The 2800' of climb had almost no rollers, so it was just climb after climb, with most of it wither into the wind or a side wind.

One guy was blown over on a downhill with a crosswind. He sucked it up and did the 105, bloodied arm be damned. Impressive.

The last 10mi were finally with the wind, which was a relief for sure.

Cant wait for next year!
That痴 pretty much exactly how I pictured it would go. I知 a little baffled on the elevation though. 2800 ft over 55 miles doesn稚 seem like too much to me. Around here is what I think of as constant rollers. The last 55 miler I did was over 4000ft, and I took the flat route back home...
shoota is online now  
Old 10-22-17, 09:22 PM
  #23  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,708

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11052 Post(s)
Liked 7,600 Times in 4,239 Posts
The hills were climb then descent and flat road. Repeat.

Rollers are great since downhill speed helps you up the next hill over and again. Easier to get the climb to add up, at least for me.
But with yesterday's wind, i woulda found rollers tough too.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 10-22-17, 09:29 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 20,475

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5902 Post(s)
Liked 3,521 Times in 2,102 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Well 23 did the 55mi and 7 finished the 105mi race.
16.4mph won the 55mi race and 16.8mph won the 105mi race. Impressive, given the wind and climbing.
I managed to hit the goal i set once i knew of the wind and averaged 12.5mph which got me 11th.

The rain held off until the evening, which was awesome, but the constant 20-30mph winds were brutal!
The 2800' of climb had almost no rollers, so it was just climb after climb, with most of it wither into the wind or a side wind.

One guy was blown over on a downhill with a crosswind. He sucked it up and did the 105, bloodied arm be damned. Impressive.

The last 10mi were finally with the wind, which was a relief for sure.

Cant wait for next year!
Cool beans; congratulations on doing the ride. Its a great ride.
bikemig is offline  
Old 10-23-17, 08:44 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,829
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The hills were climb then descent and flat road. Repeat.

Rollers are great since downhill speed helps you up the next hill over and again. Easier to get the climb to add up, at least for me.
But with yesterday's wind, i woulda found rollers tough too.
Yeah man I woke up Saturday and saw that wind and thought "that's gonna suck". You did awesome, congrats! Wish I coulda been there. 16mph for the winner in that wind is flying..
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is online now  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Helderberg
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
6
10-04-19 02:39 PM
FlashBazbo
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
1
04-24-19 08:40 AM
thehammerdog
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
22
10-01-18 05:33 PM
Primitive Don
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
5
02-20-17 08:38 AM
bennybenny
Great Lakes Rides and Events
3
10-24-16 12:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.