Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Salsa Journeyman - Aluminum or Carbon Fork?

Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Salsa Journeyman - Aluminum or Carbon Fork?

Reply

Old 04-15-18, 04:39 PM
  #1  
DarKris
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DarKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 309

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 1 (2018), Custom Built Nashbar Cyclocross Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Salsa Journeyman - Aluminum or Carbon Fork?

I was by my LBS and I was able to look at the Salsa Journeyman. I'm really interested in this bike in the Claris model, but besides the components the aluminum fork is a notable difference between the two models. I have a Raleigh Redux with an Aluminum fork and a Nashbar CX Bike with a carbon fork and since they have different geometries I can't tell much of a difference related to the fork material.

I test road the 650b Journeyman with Carbon fork and most of the comfort I felt came from the tires. I don't intend to race *currently* (might in the future when I am more fit) so I am really not sure if I should want to upgrade to the carbon fork or if the aluminum fork will be enough.
DarKris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 06:51 PM
  #2  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,225

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
buy the color, that you like the best.

if its a 700 and you want 650... invest in wheels. or vice versa

If the fork material is a priority to you, you don't want that frame anyways.
__________________
Dawes SST AL, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, Giant Talon 29er, Trek Crossrip Elite,
Metieval is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 08:49 PM
  #3  
Spoonrobot 
Senior Member
 
Spoonrobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,604
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Tires are a bigger part of the equation than the fork but the fork is still a huge portion of what makes a bike comfortable. They're much better than they were even just a few years ago but aluminum forks are still not that good IMO. Even a low end carbon fork is much better than the best aluminum fork.

With all the "features" packed into the journeymen forks all versions are going to be super stiff but the carbon one is probably going to be the best riding just by virtue of the material being able to be strong enough without increasing stiffness to the point a aluminum fork needs.
Spoonrobot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 09:49 PM
  #4  
DarKris
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DarKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 309

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 1 (2018), Custom Built Nashbar Cyclocross Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
buy the color, that you like the best.

if its a 700 and you want 650... invest in wheels. or vice versa

If the fork material is a priority to you, you don't want that frame anyways.
Well I want the red version and I have 2 650b and 1 700c wheelset already so that works out pretty well Iíd say.

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot View Post
Tires are a bigger part of the equation than the fork but the fork is still a huge portion of what makes a bike comfortable. They're much better than they were even just a few years ago but aluminum forks are still not that good IMO. Even a low end carbon fork is much better than the best aluminum fork.

With all the "features" packed into the journeymen forks all versions are going to be super stiff but the carbon one is probably going to be the best riding just by virtue of the material being able to be strong enough without increasing stiffness to the point a aluminum fork needs.
It sucks that they didnít have the Claris model in stock for me to try out because it is definitely tough to discern the ride quality of something you havenít yet ridden. I think Iíll try and put more miles on my Redux to really try and see if I can feel the stiff/harshness more.
DarKris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-18, 04:46 AM
  #5  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,225

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DarKris View Post
Well I want the red version and I have 2 650b and 1 700c wheelset already so that works out pretty well Iíd say.
the Red is super nice looking in person. But that greenish claris/650 looks really nice with the WTB Horizon/byways.

yeash... I'd totally pick a bike color on tire choice.

I was thinking I had ridden both.. but I didn't. I rode the red claris 700, and the green claris 650.

steering felt weird on the 2.1 Nano but they were rock hard, I let some air out in parking lot and it then rode normal.

However, if you are going with 650, I still vote that having an AL fork won't matter/make that big of a difference.
__________________
Dawes SST AL, Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, Giant Talon 29er, Trek Crossrip Elite,
Metieval is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-18, 08:27 AM
  #6  
DarKris
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DarKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 309

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 1 (2018), Custom Built Nashbar Cyclocross Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
the Red is super nice looking in person. But that greenish claris/650 looks really nice with the WTB Horizon/byways.

yeash... I'd totally pick a bike color on tire choice.

I was thinking I had ridden both.. but I didn't. I rode the red claris 700, and the green claris 650.

steering felt weird on the 2.1 Nano but they were rock hard, I let some air out in parking lot and it then rode normal.

However, if you are going with 650, I still vote that having an AL fork won't matter/make that big of a difference.
Yeah I would buy the 700c model just for the extra wheelset. I'd throw on my 650b wheels and ride that. I'd only switch to the 700c wheels if I was trying to do a gravel race.
DarKris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-18, 09:07 PM
  #7  
DarKris
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DarKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 309

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 1 (2018), Custom Built Nashbar Cyclocross Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Update: All the 700c Claris models are out of stock so I put a pre-order down for that model with the aluminum fork in size 57cm. Got a few months before it comes in so I'll be sure to update when it gets here.
DarKris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 11:33 AM
  #8  
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Lazyass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 7,467

Bikes: '17 Diamondback Podium E'tape Disc, '11 Focus Culebro, lots of vintage steel

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
I have the same question as well. I'm looking at the Raleigh Amelia 2. Sora group and costs $750 with the corporate discount. Yes it's officially a female bike but the geometry is fine (I was looking at a Diamondback female endurance bike as well). The fork is "Alloy SPF Formed". Does anyone know what SPF is?

https://www.raleighusa.com/amelia-33539

Lazyass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-18, 08:35 PM
  #9  
mstateglfr 
Senior Member
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 6,299

Bikes: '87 Miyata 912, '87 Schwinn Prelude, '90 Fuji Saratoga, '93 Mongoose IBOC SX, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Lazyass View Post
The fork is "Alloy SPF Formed". Does anyone know what SPF is?

https://www.raleighusa.com/amelia-33539
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superplastic_forming
mstateglfr is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service