Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gunnar Hyper XF - new bike day!

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gunnar Hyper XF - new bike day!

Old 04-22-19, 08:55 AM
  #1  
KeatonR
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 502

Bikes: '05 Lemond Poprad, '13 Jamis Dragon Race 29er, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Gunnar Hyper XF - new bike day!

Turning 50, and so for the occasion went all in on this (or I should say, my wife did ó I am lucky).

Ultegra drivetrain, Mavic Allroad Pro wheels.


KeatonR is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 09:22 AM
  #2  
Secret Squirrel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Southern Calif
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts
Nice bike. I just got my 50 bike in August. Same wheels and tires
Secret Squirrel is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 09:43 AM
  #3  
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life
 
Hondo Gravel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 2,117

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 3,315 Times in 2,154 Posts
Awesome bike! Tell us about some of first rides.
Hondo Gravel is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 09:50 AM
  #4  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,816
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1719 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 357 Posts
Sick color dude. Turn the front tire around.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 09:51 AM
  #5  
KeatonR
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 502

Bikes: '05 Lemond Poprad, '13 Jamis Dragon Race 29er, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Awesome bike! Tell us about some of first rides.
Will report back this weekend. Canít wait to log some miles on this thing.
KeatonR is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 09:54 AM
  #6  
KeatonR
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 502

Bikes: '05 Lemond Poprad, '13 Jamis Dragon Race 29er, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Sick color dude. Turn the front tire around.
It looks wrong, I agree, but thatís how Mavic says to run the front one.
KeatonR is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 09:55 AM
  #7  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,816
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1719 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by KeatonR View Post
It looks wrong, I agree, but thatís how Mavic says to run the front one.
Ok well that's bizarre. I'd love to hear why.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 10:04 AM
  #8  
KeatonR
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 502

Bikes: '05 Lemond Poprad, '13 Jamis Dragon Race 29er, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Ok well that's bizarre. I'd love to hear why.
this thread sheds some light on the matter:

Gravel Cycling Forum | Riding Gravel

one commenter there said he was going to reverse it to avoid further comments about it being backwards, ha. In the end it probably doesnít matter too much, since itís a not very aggressive tread pattern anyway.
KeatonR is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 10:07 AM
  #9  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,816
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1719 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by KeatonR View Post
this thread sheds some light on the matter:

Gravel Cycling Forum | Riding Gravel

one commenter there said he was going to reverse it to avoid further comments about it being backwards, ha. In the end it probably doesnít matter too much, since itís a not very aggressive tread pattern anyway.
HA! Now that is funny. I'd probably install them the same way too, my OCD wouldn't allow two different directions.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 10:23 AM
  #10  
riverdrifter
Senior Member
 
riverdrifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 465

Bikes: Trek 620, Jamis Satellite Sport, Raleigh Sport

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 66 Posts
Beautiful bike! Congratulations!
riverdrifter is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 10:27 AM
  #11  
Secret Squirrel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Southern Calif
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts
I ran this tire with the Mavic recommended direction for about 100 miles and then turned it around for another hundred (mixed road conditions). I did not notice any difference. The tread pattern is really tight. Running Gravel King slicks for a change.
Secret Squirrel is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 10:38 AM
  #12  
LeFreakyBone
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 41

Bikes: BMX – FBM Gypsy; Gravel/Adventure – Rodeo Labs Flaanimal 4.1; Mountain – Santa Cruz Bronson CC X01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KeatonR View Post
It looks wrong, I agree, but thatís how Mavic says to run the front one.
I have pretty aggressive dual sport tires on my motorcycle and the front is installed in the "reverse" direction like this. I hear it has to do with better braking performance. Besides the obviously different amount of force required for braking, I am wondering if it is the same concept here.
LeFreakyBone is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 11:20 AM
  #13  
gus6464
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,235
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
That is common in motocross. Same tire front and rear mounted in different direction.
gus6464 is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 11:58 AM
  #14  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 14,510

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8232 Post(s)
Liked 5,064 Times in 2,944 Posts
Originally Posted by KeatonR View Post
Really nice looking bike. Its a rare day that I see NBD threads and immediately click into them, but this is one time where I did because of the title. Funny to see the tread like that, as others mentioned- that was one of the first things I saw since the opening pic has the tread in the foreground. Wild.

What is the 303 sticker?...is that what they call their own mix of tubing?
Also- those are 40mm tires, right? how much clearance on the rear?
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 12:49 PM
  #15  
Chi_Z
Senior Member
 
Chi_Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 507

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 50 Posts
should have spend the extra $300 for made to measure, the frame stack is clearly too low for you
Chi_Z is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 02:11 PM
  #16  
KeatonR
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 502

Bikes: '05 Lemond Poprad, '13 Jamis Dragon Race 29er, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Really nice looking bike. Its a rare day that I see NBD threads and immediately click into them, but this is one time where I did because of the title. Funny to see the tread like that, as others mentioned- that was one of the first things I saw since the opening pic has the tread in the foreground. Wild.

What is the 303 sticker?...is that what they call their own mix of tubing?
Also- those are 40mm tires, right? how much clearance on the rear?
The 303 sticker is from the local shop that built it up for me, Vecchio's in Boulder.

Those are 40mm tires, yes. And there's still plenty of room left in the back. I'll take a pic.
KeatonR is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 02:13 PM
  #17  
KeatonR
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 502

Bikes: '05 Lemond Poprad, '13 Jamis Dragon Race 29er, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z View Post
should have spend the extra $300 for made to measure, the frame stack is clearly too low for you
No, that's just a starting point for me. The shop set it up based on the dimensions of my previous bike, but I'm aiming to flip the stem over at the very least. I just want to get some miles in on it first.

On the other hand, I am turning 50, so ultimately I'll go with comfort over aesthetics.
KeatonR is offline  
Likes For KeatonR:
Old 04-22-19, 02:20 PM
  #18  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 14,510

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8232 Post(s)
Liked 5,064 Times in 2,944 Posts
Originally Posted by KeatonR View Post
The 303 sticker is from the local shop that built it up for me, Vecchio's in Boulder.

Those are 40mm tires, yes. And there's still plenty of room left in the back. I'll take a pic.
makes sense- 303 area code. i thought that for a second before remembering the area code for Waterford WI. Then figured it might be what Gunnar calls the tubing since from afar it looks similar to a Reynolds tubing # sticker.

thanks for the pic in back- i think Richard Schwinn said a 42mm tire is the max, but wasnt sure if thats really conservative or what.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 02:23 PM
  #19  
Chi_Z
Senior Member
 
Chi_Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 507

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by KeatonR View Post
No, that's just a starting point for me. The shop set it up based on the dimensions of my previous bike, but I'm aiming to flip the stem over at the very least. I just want to get some miles in on it first.

On the other hand, I am turning 50, so ultimately I'll go with comfort over aesthetics.
that was my point, with higher stack frame you can move the bar even higher, currently you are already at the 40mm spacer limit for Enve fork, going higher you risk snapping the carbon steer
Chi_Z is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 02:30 PM
  #20  
KeatonR
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 502

Bikes: '05 Lemond Poprad, '13 Jamis Dragon Race 29er, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z View Post
that was my point, with higher stack frame you can move the bar even higher, currently you are already at the 40mm spacer limit for Enve fork, going higher you risk snapping the carbon steer
My point is that if anything I'll go lower.

I looked around at a lot of steel frames, and this one already has one of the tallest head tubes, so I didn't really think I needed to go any taller there. But you're right, at the moment I'm at the limit.
KeatonR is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 03:20 PM
  #21  
KeatonR
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 502

Bikes: '05 Lemond Poprad, '13 Jamis Dragon Race 29er, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
makes sense- 303 area code. i thought that for a second before remembering the area code for Waterford WI. Then figured it might be what Gunnar calls the tubing since from afar it looks similar to a Reynolds tubing # sticker.

thanks for the pic in back- i think Richard Schwinn said a 42mm tire is the max, but wasnt sure if thats really conservative or what.
Hereís how the fit looks. The tires are 40s, as I said, but theyíre on rims with a 22mm internal width (pretty wide), so inflated width might be wider than 40. Either way, thereís room.

KeatonR is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 05:18 PM
  #22  
gus6464
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,235
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
I'd say you can comfortably fit a 45 Riddler in there.
gus6464 is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 10:06 PM
  #23  
GailT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Beautiful bike, love that colour. I bought a Waterford at Vecchio's a year ago - it was a custom frame, but it still has about same number of spacers as your bike. They built it with the handlebars near the top of the spacers, and I've gradually moved it almost to the bottom of the stack. It is nice to have the ability to move higher in the future, in case I have less flexibility when I'm older. So I think you did the right thing with the number of spacers.

Originally Posted by KeatonR View Post
My point is that if anything I'll go lower. I looked around at a lot of steel frames, and this one already has one of the tallest head tubes, so I didn't really think I needed to go any taller there. But you're right, at the moment I'm at the limit.
GailT is offline  
Old 04-23-19, 05:31 AM
  #24  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5088 Post(s)
Liked 7,444 Times in 3,231 Posts
Nice bike -- I've got the same model (complete with the same Enve fork) on order right now. How long did yours take to arrive?

Also, you bought it from a great shop - Vecchio's is great.

Enjoy your birthday gift!
Koyote is offline  
Old 04-23-19, 09:40 AM
  #25  
gravelED
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Beautiful bike. How do you like the Mavic wheels? I was looking at getting a set
gravelED is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.