Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbround Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Pedals and shoes

Old 10-21-19, 02:01 PM
  #1  
thehammerdog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
thehammerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NWNJ
Posts: 3,392

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 143 Posts
Pedals and shoes

I am assuming most ride spd style I do as well but may try going with egg beaters anyone use and what's opinion?
I am also looking at road shoes with ability to go with spd cleats vs mtb shoes
Thoughts
thehammerdog is offline  
Old 10-21-19, 02:32 PM
  #2  
HTupolev
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,747
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1713 Post(s)
Liked 790 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog View Post
I am assuming most ride spd style I do as well but may try going with egg beaters anyone use and what's opinion?
Tons of people use egg beaters on gravel bikes. It works.

I am also looking at road shoes with ability to go with spd cleats vs mtb shoes
If by "road shoe" you mean a shoe that can fit a 2-bolt cleat but which is not recessed, I would strongly avoid. Walking on MTB cleats on shoes that lack a recession is far worse than even walking on road cleats.

If by "road shoe" you mean a shoe that looks and feels kind of like a road shoe, but which does feature a cleat recession, then go for it.
HTupolev is online now  
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 10-21-19, 02:56 PM
  #3  
thehammerdog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
thehammerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NWNJ
Posts: 3,392

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
Tons of people use egg beaters on gravel bikes. It works.


If by "road shoe" you mean a shoe that can fit a 2-bolt cleat but which is not recessed, I would strongly avoid. Walking on MTB cleats on shoes that lack a recession is far worse than even walking on road cleats.

If by "road shoe" you mean a shoe that looks and feels kind of like a road shoe, but which does feature a cleat recession, then go for it.
I did mean road shoe not mtb shoes
Walking is at times important
The egg beaters look light and cheap
Thanks
thehammerdog is offline  
Old 10-21-19, 05:07 PM
  #4  
Elvo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,590
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 245 Times in 136 Posts
If your gravel includes hike a bike you would definitely want shoes with tread and recessed cleats
Elvo is offline  
Likes For Elvo:
Old 10-21-19, 05:26 PM
  #5  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 12,349

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5073 Post(s)
Liked 2,385 Times in 1,397 Posts
I walk in my shoes before and after rides, so there is 0 interest in road shoes.

My mtb shoes dont hold me back in any way. Until I cut weight and put out a ton more watts, road shoes needn't be considered for me. What I have are light enough, comfortable, and stiff enough.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 04:37 AM
  #6  
thehammerdog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
thehammerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NWNJ
Posts: 3,392

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I walk in my shoes before and after rides, so there is 0 interest in road shoes.

My mtb shoes dont hold me back in any way. Until I cut weight and put out a ton more watts, road shoes needn't be considered for me. What I have are light enough, comfortable, and stiff enough.
I was looking for a smoother faster looking shoe than a standard std mtb type. I ride mostly raid trail stuff 50% and road 50% so the idea of a road shoe appeals to me. But the point of not being able to walk about is valid. I want to good looking sleek shoe to do it all. Egg beaters seem cool and maybe some laced up giro types.
thehammerdog is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 04:54 AM
  #7  
David Scott
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: North York, Ontario
Posts: 29

Bikes: Devinci Hatchet Carbon Rival 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got eggbeaters. Love them. Getting in and out of them are a breeze. Super light. Yeah, they need to be serviced once a year but it takes about an hour and you don't need to take them off the bike to do it. Another bonus is that if someone tries to nick your bike they'll have a difficult time trying to get away as it's difficult to ride eggbeaters without cleats.
David Scott is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 08:26 AM
  #8  
chas58
Senior Member
 
chas58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,516

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog View Post
I am also looking at road shoes with ability to go with spd cleats vs mtb shoes
I have some. Technically they are a road shoe in a Cross configuration - i.e. 2 bolt hole that you can walk in (just have to be careful not to order the 3 bolt version).

Shimano XC-7 or XC-9
I got the 9 on clearance. Very light, very efficient, fairly stiff.

Fizik makes some nice shoes with a single boa.

My wife has a shoe that takes 2 or 3 bolt cleats. But with no lugs, you can't really walk in them - so no real benefit to use the 2-bolt cleats. I don't think they have ever been worn. ;-)
chas58 is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 08:37 AM
  #9  
Hmmm
Senior Member
 
Hmmm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 358

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58 View Post
I have some. Technically they are a road shoe in a Cross configuration - i.e. 2 bolt hole that you can walk in (just have to be careful not to order the 3 bolt version).

Shimano XC-7 or XC-9
I got the 9 on clearance. Very light, very efficient, fairly stiff.

Fizik makes some nice shoes with a single boa.

My wife has a shoe that takes 2 or 3 bolt cleats. But with no lugs, you can't really walk in them - so no real benefit to use the 2-bolt cleats. I don't think they have ever been worn. ;-)
Are you using a conversion kit to make your road shoes into two bolt? If so which model? I had no idea people could use these to convert road to cross shoes. My road shoes have been collecting dust and it's a shame as I really like them but never want to change pedals.
Hmmm is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 10:55 AM
  #10  
chas58
Senior Member
 
chas58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,516

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmmm View Post
Are you using a conversion kit to make your road shoes into two bolt? If so which model? I had no idea people could use these to convert road to cross shoes. My road shoes have been collecting dust and it's a shame as I really like them but never want to change pedals.
Nope, you just have a choice of buying the 2 hole (spd) or 3 hole (road) version of the shoe. The are cross country race shoes (or CX shoes - you can screw in cleats for running up hills) - so basically stiff aero road shoes with 2bolts and a little bit of tread for walking.
Here is a review:
https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...-boa-closures/
https://singletrackworld.com/2018/05...in-bike-shoes/

2 hole version https://www.backcountry.com/shimano-...ycle-shoe-mens
3 hole version https://www.backcountry.com/shimano-...ling-shoe-mens

Converting a road shoe to 2 bolt is an interesting idea. Theoretically you just need to drill 2 holes and then use that screw backing plate that all 2-hole SPD shoes have. No idea how durable that would be.

Last edited by chas58; 10-22-19 at 11:02 AM.
chas58 is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 02:26 PM
  #11  
csrpenfab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 55 Posts
I loved my old Sidi Genius road shoes and finally got around to buying a similar pair for the gravel bike last week. Sidi Dominator 7 in Mega for my wide feet. 2 bolt cleat for my SPD's. Why did I wait so long! They fit great and are so much stiffer than the Pearl Izumi Mtn. Bike shoes I'd been wearing for a couple years. Just riding my normal 25 mile gravel route I immediately noticed a difference on the climbs. I was climbing the rises in one gear higher thanks to the stiff soles.

csrpenfab is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 02:37 PM
  #12  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,253

Bikes: N+1; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog View Post
I was looking for a smoother faster looking shoe than a standard std mtb type. I ride mostly raid trail stuff 50% and road 50% so the idea of a road shoe appeals to me. But the point of not being able to walk about is valid. I want to good looking sleek shoe to do it all. Egg beaters seem cool and maybe some laced up giro types.
I ride Eggbeaters with Giro Republic shoes. I use this same set up on my road bikes and gravel bikes. My idea of gravel includes the worst conditions (snow and 28F); and (but not the same ride) 240-mile day of gravel.

I'd say that the Giro is heavier than some options, but durable and comfortable. The Eggbeaters are great to engage when things get muddy. Avoid Eggbeater 1, they don't last long in harsh conditions. I've been happy with the Eggbeater 3.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 10-22-19, 02:39 PM
  #13  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,253

Bikes: N+1; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 270 Posts
Forgot to post a picture of my shoes and cleats .... see they're clean in messy conditions.


Ride - 2018 Filthy 50
Photo credit - Devin Tolleson

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 10-22-19 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo
Hypno Toad is offline  
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-23-19, 03:32 AM
  #14  
Hmmm
Senior Member
 
Hmmm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 358

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58 View Post
Nope, you just have a choice of buying the 2 hole (spd) or 3 hole (road) version of the shoe. The are cross country race shoes (or CX shoes - you can screw in cleats for running up hills) - so basically stiff aero road shoes with 2bolts and a little bit of tread for walking.
Here is a review:
https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...-boa-closures/
https://singletrackworld.com/2018/05...in-bike-shoes/

2 hole version https://www.backcountry.com/shimano-...ycle-shoe-mens
3 hole version https://www.backcountry.com/shimano-...ling-shoe-mens

Converting a road shoe to 2 bolt is an interesting idea. Theoretically you just need to drill 2 holes and then use that screw backing plate that all 2-hole SPD shoes have. No idea how durable that would be.
Ah ok. I've seen conversion kits. I have a pair of Giro road shoes with stiff E70 soles, and a pair of Fizik Terra X5's. It would be nice to not have to change pedals if I want to run the other shoes.

Carry on! Sorry for side tracking thread!
Hmmm is offline  
Old 10-23-19, 03:26 PM
  #15  
thehammerdog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
thehammerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NWNJ
Posts: 3,392

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
I ride Eggbeaters with Giro Republic shoes. I use this same set up on my road bikes and gravel bikes. My idea of gravel includes the worst conditions (snow and 28F); and (but not the same ride) 240-mile day of gravel.

I'd say that the Giro is heavier than some options, but durable and comfortable. The Eggbeaters are great to engage when things get muddy. Avoid Eggbeater 1, they don't last long in harsh conditions. I've been happy with the Eggbeater 3.
Thanks
I was initially attracted to the egg beaters because of low price before knowing they came in several levels 1. 2. 3 not sure difference but 1 seem to cheap
2 or 3 I need to compare
thehammerdog is offline  
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 10-23-19, 03:31 PM
  #16  
thehammerdog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
thehammerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NWNJ
Posts: 3,392

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmmm View Post
Ah ok. I've seen conversion kits. I have a pair of Giro road shoes with stiff E70 soles, and a pair of Fizik Terra X5's. It would be nice to not have to change pedals if I want to run the other shoes.

Carry on! Sorry for side tracking thread!
$400
Out of my look league

$100 range more my speed
thehammerdog is offline  
Old 10-24-19, 09:05 AM
  #17  
chas58
Senior Member
 
chas58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,516

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog View Post
$400
Out of my look league

$100 range more my speed
I know right? This time of year there are often closeouts (that's how I got mine).
For the shimano's there is a $100, $200, $400 version (XC5, 7, 9) Those BOA closures are very nice, but must be expensive...
chas58 is offline  
Old 10-29-19, 07:00 AM
  #18  
Zaskar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
Depends on the ride.
If the route is a mix of reasonably groomed gravel/dirt roads and pavement - I use road pedals and shoes.
If the route is sloppy or technical and/or has any single track - I use mtn bike shoes and EggBeaters.

Biggest risk to ^that^ method is showing up to a ride with mtn bike shoes and road pedals ;-)
Zaskar is offline  
Old 10-29-19, 07:12 AM
  #19  
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,322

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog View Post
I was looking for a smoother faster looking shoe than a standard std mtb type. I ride mostly raid trail stuff 50% and road 50% so the idea of a road shoe appeals to me. But the point of not being able to walk about is valid. I want to good looking sleek shoe to do it all. Egg beaters seem cool and maybe some laced up giro types.
It is all about fit. Giros fit a bit narrower than Shimanos. I replaced my XC7 Shimanos with Giro Empire VR90; road-shoe-racinhg-level-stiff and you don't have to worry about BOAs getting clogged with mud. ...or BOAs braking and having to order BOAs for $10USD a pop and paying $10 shipping to get them next week. Giros pop up on sale from time to time if you snipe them--I got my VR90 NIB for 50% off retail.

Only downside, is I have to put on my cycling shoes away from the ctats.


Eggbeaters....are great for mudshedding like in a CX race. The caveats being:
  • You need to buy the "optional" sole protector plates. They are not optional at all--as the pedals will chew up your shoes
  • They have problems with lifespan, especially given that you can get higher-tier Shimano SPD for the same $$$. Bearings tend to need overhauled often as such things go, X-wings crack, etc.
  • They're sloppy, they don't feel floaty like other pedals just sloppy. Lots of lateral/angular play and no adjustment at all. Feels a bit like walking in a mud puddle compared to an SPD where it is direct power more or less.
Two years ago you could get Shimano's XTR pedals for only $90USD on clearance. I got PD-M9000 XTRs to replace Crank Candy3 and am happier. D/A quality MTB gear for $90USD. Nowadays XTRs are back to reg pricing with the model refresh to $180 I think.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 10-29-19, 08:17 AM
  #20  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,253

Bikes: N+1; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
It is all about fit. Giros fit a bit narrower than Shimanos. I replaced my XC7 Shimanos with Giro Empire VR90; road-shoe-racinhg-level-stiff and you don't have to worry about BOAs getting clogged with mud. ...or BOAs braking and having to order BOAs for $10USD a pop and paying $10 shipping to get them next week. Giros pop up on sale from time to time if you snipe them--I got my VR90 NIB for 50% off retail.

Only downside, is I have to put on my cycling shoes away from the ctats.


Eggbeaters....are great for mudshedding like in a CX race. The caveats being:
  • You need to buy the "optional" sole protector plates. They are not optional at all--as the pedals will chew up your shoes
  • They have problems with lifespan, especially given that you can get higher-tier Shimano SPD for the same $$$. Bearings tend to need overhauled often as such things go, X-wings crack, etc.
  • They're sloppy, they don't feel floaty like other pedals just sloppy. Lots of lateral/angular play and no adjustment at all. Feels a bit like walking in a mud puddle compared to an SPD where it is direct power more or less.
Two years ago you could get Shimano's XTR pedals for only $90USD on clearance. I got PD-M9000 XTRs to replace Crank Candy3 and am happier. D/A quality MTB gear for $90USD. Nowadays XTRs are back to reg pricing with the model refresh to $180 I think.
I'm gonna counter-point with my experience.

My gravel bike has used Eggbeaters 3 pedals (bought at swap), I've put over 3,000 harsh miles on these pedals without a rebuild. I have Mallet E pedals I've ridden through 4 Minneapolis winters (road salt, snow, slush, sub-zero temps), I typically ride 1,500 to 2,000 miles a winter, no rebuild. My road bike has 8,000 miles on Eggbeater 3 pedals without a rebuild (this is a mostly dry bike).

The plate for the cleat is good, but not needed. The Shimano shoe on the right is over 10 years old and always riding Crank Bros with out plate, the shoe on the left is a newer Giro Republic. Both sets of shoes are breaking down from age long before they are from the pedal wear. I do have the metal cleat plate on my 45NRTH Wölvhammer, those are very expensive winter boots and I'll spend the extra nickel to make sure the cleat doesn't cause an issue.



The float/feel is highly subjective. For my aging knees, the float is needed. Fresh/new cleats have less float, in the pic above the cleat on the right is sloppy, and clearly needs to be replaced ... but these are my shoes for running errands with my commuter bike, so I'm not looking for 'power' and will replace when my foot starts pulling out of the pedal.

If I had one complaint about Crank Bros, it's that the brass cleats don't have a long life. But at $20-$25 per set, it's not a major issue.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 10-29-19, 08:25 AM
  #21  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 8,553

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4898 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 943 Posts
The line between road and MTB shoes grows ever thinner. First are the 2-bolt Diadora X-Vortex Pro MTB shoes (I have a pair, which have ~15k miles on them):


And Diadora Vortex Pro 3-bolt road shoes:

__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Old 10-29-19, 05:04 PM
  #22  
thehammerdog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
thehammerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NWNJ
Posts: 3,392

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by csrpenfab View Post
I loved my old Sidi Genius road shoes and finally got around to buying a similar pair for the gravel bike last week. Sidi Dominator 7 in Mega for my wide feet. 2 bolt cleat for my SPD's. Why did I wait so long! They fit great and are so much stiffer than the Pearl Izumi Mtn. Bike shoes I'd been wearing for a couple years. Just riding my normal 25 mile gravel route I immediately noticed a difference on the climbs. I was climbing the rises in one gear higher thanks to the stiff soles.

Soooo pretty

Love sidi's
thehammerdog is offline  
Old 11-05-19, 08:10 AM
  #23  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,253

Bikes: N+1; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
......

The plate for the cleat is good, but not needed. The Shimano shoe on the right is over 10 years old and always riding Crank Bros with out plate, the shoe on the left is a newer Giro Republic. Both sets of shoes are breaking down from age long before they are from the pedal wear. I do have the metal cleat plate on my 45NRTH Wölvhammer, those are very expensive winter boots and I'll spend the extra nickel to make sure the cleat doesn't cause an issue.

The float/feel is highly subjective. For my aging knees, the float is needed. Fresh/new cleats have less float, in the pic above the cleat on the right is sloppy, and clearly needs to be replaced ... but these are my shoes for running errands with my commuter bike, so I'm not looking for 'power' and will replace when my foot starts pulling out of the pedal.
UPDATE: I rode with a rare combo yesterday - Wölvhammer and Eggbeaters (I typically use Mallet E pedals for winter riding). I found that sloppy pedal-shoe connection referenced above. It felt like a ball bearing under the shoe - lots of motion in all directions, but the shoe is locked to the pedal (not pulling out of the pedal). The Mallet E pedals have adjustable pins, and don't have this sloppy feeling with my winter boots. I'm not sure if the metal plate is causing this sloppy feeling or if it's simply that some shoes are not a good match for the Eggbeaters. Tread contact sleeves could help with this issue too, but I've never tried this.

Edit - Lots of good info in this video -
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 11-05-19, 08:00 PM
  #24  
Chi_Z
Senior Member
 
Chi_Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 505

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 48 Posts
if the route does not require you hiking the bike, road shoe/cleat is fine, I find SPD-SL much easier to clip in compared to SPD due to the size of the cleat. with SPD the cleat is so small I have to attempt multiple times even though the pedal is duel sided
Chi_Z is offline  
Old 11-07-19, 10:17 AM
  #25  
thehammerdog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
thehammerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NWNJ
Posts: 3,392

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 143 Posts


I got me these. On sale comfy i have not yet put cleats on. Staying with spd's. I will buy new lighter spd pedals more road/gravel focused.
thehammerdog is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.