Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Buying a new bike - which direction to go?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Buying a new bike - which direction to go?

Old 11-09-19, 11:37 AM
  #1  
xbartx
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying a new bike - which direction to go?

I have been road biking for 5 years now and I知 looking at buying my first gravel bike.
I知 debating between a budget minded bike, the Cannondale Topstone 105 that I can buy new locally for $1400 or spending a lot more on a Giant Revolt Advanced 0 for $3,600 that I would have to buy without my LBS having one at their store. I would much rather not spent the extra money, but I could afford it. Buying the Topstone would allow me to upgrade down the road, but I haven稚 updated anything on my road bike since I bought it 5 years ago, so there is a chance I will not feel the need to upgrade on a gravel bike either. The Giant on there other hand looks to be a step up in every way and It would be nice to get a top of the line bike. I plan on going over to ride the Cannondale this weekend, that might help me decide. No matter what I get, I値l need new pedals, shoes, etc.
Anyone have anything to add that might help me decide?
xbartx is offline  
Old 11-09-19, 11:43 AM
  #2  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 9,211

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 307 Posts
I'll just add that there are dozens of quality bikes between $1400 and $3600.
If the topstone isnt what you want, that doesnt mean you need to go to a $3600 bike. Maybe something that costs $2k or $2500 will be great. Even $3000 for example will get you an incredible bike and still save significantly over the Giant.

Also, if the topstone feels heavy, for less than $500 you can get a wheelset that weighs 400-600 grams less(depending on which wheelset you choose). That will shave off a pound +/- and you will feel it when accelerating from a stop.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 11-09-19, 12:43 PM
  #3  
xbartx
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I'll just add that there are dozens of quality bikes between $1400 and $3600.
If the topstone isnt what you want, that doesnt mean you need to go to a $3600 bike. Maybe something that costs $2k or $2500 will be great. Even $3000 for example will get you an incredible bike and still save significantly over the Giant.

Also, if the topstone feels heavy, for less than $500 you can get a wheelset that weighs 400-600 grams less(depending on which wheelset you choose). That will shave off a pound +/- and you will feel it when accelerating from a stop.
Thanks for your reply. I feel my biggest problem is the lack of bikes available in my area to try. There a several small shops around, they just have very limited stock and I have only been able to find one bike, the Cannondale that looks like it might fit me. I have called 3 or 4 shops without much luck, I might just wait till I can travel to an area with bike shops that are stocked better.
xbartx is offline  
Old 11-09-19, 01:04 PM
  #4  
'02 nrs
royaloaker
 
'02 nrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: se MIch.
Posts: 99

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell,4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
check the closeouts also.

tried here? https://www.racycles.com/bikes/cross-gravel
'02 nrs is offline  
Old 11-09-19, 01:44 PM
  #5  
katsup
Senior Member
 
katsup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 839

Bikes: 1991 Fuji Sundance , 2017 Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by xbartx View Post
Thanks for your reply. I feel my biggest problem is the lack of bikes available in my area to try. There a several small shops around, they just have very limited stock and I have only been able to find one bike, the Cannondale that looks like it might fit me. I have called 3 or 4 shops without much luck, I might just wait till I can travel to an area with bike shops that are stocked better.
I am in a big market, yet couldn't find many bikes in my size (58-60cm) when I was looking. I was lucky though and found a 1 size smaller 1.5hrs a way. I test road that one and ended up ordering the size I needed.

I think more shops are stocking gravel bikes now so you may have better luck, especially if you ride a more common size.
katsup is offline  
Old 11-09-19, 02:57 PM
  #6  
Metieval
Senior Member
 
Metieval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,344

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by xbartx View Post
Anyone have anything to add that might help me decide?
the giant revolt advanced will be the best bang for the money spent.

the difference between the aluminum Topstone and the Revolt advanced would be like the difference between the alloy Topstone and the Carbon Topstone.

If you are looking for comfort, then the Carbon Topstone is > than the Revolt Advanced. If you are looking for utility then the Revolt advanced is >

retail the 105 Topstone carbon is $2,750 and the 105 Revolt advanced is $2,450 just for apples to apples comparison on the $ spent.



I think it really comes down to how nice of a road bike you currently have. If you have a really nice road bike then down grading on a gravel bike is going to be a Mehhh. Depending on how you want to ride the gravel. At least that is what I found out. however the Alloy topstone 105 is still way better than what I cheaped out on for gravel.


I am am curious to what your road bike is.

other than that there is some decent deals to be had.

Excel sports has the last gen Niner RLT RDO on sale for an awesome price. Better than the Revolt at 3600? hmmm all depends on what you want. Niner gives you 2 lugs on front fork. and will give you the gravel capability with a road bike like ride. oh and toe over lap.
https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...jor=8&minor=16

As for Niner bikes go. Size is hit n miss but JensonUSA also has old stock Niners at good prices.

I would probably dumb down from 105 to Tiagra and buy the Niner RLT 853 steel version before buying a Topstone. (and I like cannondale AL. on the pavement anyways)
https://www.jensonusa.com/Niner-RLT-...STAR-Bike-2019
Metieval is offline  
Old 11-09-19, 04:31 PM
  #7  
Spoonrobot 
Senior Member
 
Spoonrobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,419
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 71 Posts
Where do you live? If you're going to drop that much coin on a bike in this re-sale market it may be worthwhile to take a nice daytrip or weekend trip to the nearest major metro and do some serious test rides.

Don't buy a bike without test riding, the differences between various models and types of gravel bikes are more significant and with a wider spread than road bikes.
Spoonrobot is offline  
Old 11-10-19, 12:07 PM
  #8  
xbartx
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just spent the yesterday at four different bike shops looking at different bikes. The Cannondale was a nice bike but didn't fit, they didn't have any other models in my size and it was the only one at that price (turns out it was a 2019 closeout). Anyway the last bike shop was the furthest away but the most helpful and had a bike that fit me nicely. The salesman asked a lot of questions that were helpful but kind of thew in more options. He was the first salesman that asked about my road bike ( I happened to have it in the back of my car) He suggested trying larger tires first before getting a new bike, he thought I could get 28mm to fit.
I plan on going that route for now and see how it goes.
xbartx is offline  
Old 11-10-19, 01:06 PM
  #9  
thehammerdog
Senior Member
 
thehammerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NWNJ
Posts: 2,774

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by xbartx View Post
I have been road biking for 5 years now and I知 looking at buying my first gravel bike.
I知 debating between a budget minded bike, the Cannondale Topstone 105 that I can buy new locally for $1400 or spending a lot more on a Giant Revolt Advanced 0 for $3,600 that I would have to buy without my LBS having one at their store. I would much rather not spent the extra money, but I could afford it. Buying the Topstone would allow me to upgrade down the road, but I haven稚 updated anything on my road bike since I bought it 5 years ago, so there is a chance I will not feel the need to upgrade on a gravel bike either. The Giant on there other hand looks to be a step up in every way and It would be nice to get a top of the line bike. I plan on going over to ride the Cannondale this weekend, that might help me decide. No matter what I get, I値l need new pedals, shoes, etc.
Anyone have anything to add that might help me decide?
Just buy what u can afford.afford.
NOT ROCKET SCIENCE
thehammerdog is offline  
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 11-10-19, 07:09 PM
  #10  
gravelslider
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xbartx View Post
Thanks for your reply. I feel my biggest problem is the lack of bikes available in my area to try. There a several small shops around, they just have very limited stock and I have only been able to find one bike, the Cannondale that looks like it might fit me. I have called 3 or 4 shops without much luck, I might just wait till I can travel to an area with bike shops that are stocked better.
What state are you in. Around her we have a great shop that specializes in gravel...
gravelslider is offline  
Old 11-10-19, 07:10 PM
  #11  
gravelslider
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Janis renegade has a fantastic bike in that price range.. Salsa Warbird is also another great choice... In that price range you should probably be looking for steel or carbon frame.
gravelslider is offline  
Old 11-10-19, 07:14 PM
  #12  
loheiman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Figure out first if you want a 1x or 2x drivetrain, I think that will be one of the most noticable differences between bikes and not so cheap to change later. If you're good with 2x, $1400 for a Topstone 105 is a great deal on a solid bike.
loheiman is offline  
Old 11-11-19, 10:50 AM
  #13  
drewtk
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by xbartx View Post
Just spent the yesterday at four different bike shops looking at different bikes. The Cannondale was a nice bike but didn't fit, they didn't have any other models in my size and it was the only one at that price (turns out it was a 2019 closeout). Anyway the last bike shop was the furthest away but the most helpful and had a bike that fit me nicely. The salesman asked a lot of questions that were helpful but kind of thew in more options. He was the first salesman that asked about my road bike ( I happened to have it in the back of my car) He suggested trying larger tires first before getting a new bike, he thought I could get 28mm to fit.
I plan on going that route for now and see how it goes.
28 mm is not enough for a riding real gravel, IMO. I'd want at least a 40, and I currently run a 45mm.

I have the aluminum Topstone 105. I wasn't going to get a gravel bike, but I found this one used for sale locally for pretty cheap. If I was doing to buy new, I'd get the Revolt Advanced 2. Carbon frame and well equipped for a good price.

I recently weighed my medium Topstone, and it came out to 22.5 pounds with pedals. About what I expected.
drewtk is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright ゥ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.