Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

11-50t cassette from my 1x11 Jamis Renegade help

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

11-50t cassette from my 1x11 Jamis Renegade help

Old 02-21-20, 10:12 PM
  #26  
tyrion
Senior Member
 
tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,786

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked 1,584 Times in 772 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister View Post
I'll consider the Rival, thanks.

EDIT, I canít find a 1x11 SRAM Rival with a 34t chainring....
I think you need to get a mountain crankset. If you're into ebay hunting you can probably find a good one (a take-off or barely used) for $70.
tyrion is offline  
Old 02-22-20, 05:57 AM
  #27  
dsaul
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 2,132
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister View Post
I'll consider the Rival, thanks.

EDIT, I canít find a 1x11 SRAM Rival with a 34t chainring....
You won't find it with that ring. It comes with a direct mount spider and probably a 40t ring. The benefit of the Rival having the direct mount spider is being able to purchase any size GXP direct mount ring that you want to use. You would remove the spider and replace it with your choice of chainring size in the GXP direct mount.
dsaul is offline  
Likes For dsaul:
Old 02-22-20, 06:55 AM
  #28  
Toadmeister
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Iowa
Posts: 653

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
I think you need to get a mountain crankset. If you're into ebay hunting you can probably find a good one (a take-off or barely used) for $70.
yes, have been looking there too. Want to make sure I got the specs right as Iíve never swapped outa crankset before. I have watched some YouTube vids. I have a SRAM GXP bottom bracket and I want 175mm crank arms. Are there any other specs I need to look out for?
Toadmeister is offline  
Old 02-22-20, 07:03 AM
  #29  
ckindt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: near Omaha, NE
Posts: 259

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister View Post
I'll consider the Rival, thanks.

EDIT, I canít find a 1x11 SRAM Rival with a 34t chainring....
Originally Posted by dsaul View Post
You won't find it with that ring. It comes with a direct mount spider and probably a 40t ring. The benefit of the Rival having the direct mount spider is being able to purchase any size GXP direct mount ring that you want to use. You would remove the spider and replace it with your choice of chainring size in the GXP direct mount.

Yes, you need to buy a rival1 crank, remove the spider, then buy a 32-tooth direct mount chain ring (or whichever size you want) and install it on the crank.
I went through this exact problem a few years ago. My bike came with a 110BCD crank with a 40-tooth ring with a 10-42 cassette. The lowest gear ratio was too high for all of the short, but steep and loose climbs around here. A 32-tooth ring lets me spin and conserve my energy over many climbs on long rides. I don't care about being short on the high-gear ratio.


ckindt is offline  
Likes For ckindt:
Old 02-22-20, 07:28 AM
  #30  
Toadmeister
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Iowa
Posts: 653

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 163 Posts
Really appreciate all the help here gang! I’m going to post my Bottom Bracket/crankset question in the mechanics forum and will contact Jamis also.
Toadmeister is offline  
Old 02-22-20, 11:21 AM
  #31  
melikebikey35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 258

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister View Post
yes, have been looking there too. Want to make sure I got the specs right as Iíve never swapped outa crankset before. I have watched some YouTube vids. I have a SRAM GXP bottom bracket and I want 175mm crank arms. Are there any other specs I need to look out for?
You're swapping out a SRAM for a SRAM, so all you need to do is buy the GXP version (not the BB30) crankset and it will be a straight up swap. You don't need to mess with the BB.

This is what you need CRANKSET
Then you'll need to purchase a direct mount chainring from Wolftooth https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...nt=26132214341
melikebikey35 is offline  
Likes For melikebikey35:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.