Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Frame bags and cross frames

Old 04-17-20, 09:33 AM
  #1  
SamSpade1941 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SamSpade1941's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 50 Posts
Frame bags and cross frames

So I have been considering a frame bag for my Ridley but with the traditional top tube cable routing I am slightly concerned the bag would interfere with braking and shifting. Has anyone used a frame bag with the more traditional or older style cable routing and what were your experiences?
SamSpade1941 is offline  
Old 04-17-20, 09:53 AM
  #2  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,852
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 533 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941 View Post
So I have been considering a frame bag for my Ridley but with the traditional top tube cable routing I am slightly concerned the bag would interfere with braking and shifting. Has anyone used a frame bag with the more traditional or older style cable routing and what were your experiences?
Are the cables exposed or does your bike use full length housing? I'm guessing they are exposed. If that's the case you can find bags with straps that will run underneath the cables. Generally speaking that won't have much affect on braking/shifting as long as the straps aren't creating too much friction. Obviously you can't install the straps over the cables, but I think that goes without saying.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 04-17-20, 09:54 AM
  #3  
SamSpade1941 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SamSpade1941's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 50 Posts
They're exposed cable , and I appreciate the input. I just was concerned they may cause issue running the straps over the cables . Ill buy a frame bag and give it a try .
SamSpade1941 is offline  
Old 04-17-20, 10:08 AM
  #4  
chas58
Senior Member
 
chas58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,853

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 329 Posts
Yeah, my old MTB and CX bikes are like that. Nope, never had a problem. Generally a single strip of velcro can go under the cables without an issue. That nylon doesn't cause much (if any) drag on the cable anyway...
chas58 is offline  
Old 04-17-20, 12:58 PM
  #5  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,852
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 533 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941 View Post
They're exposed cable , and I appreciate the input. I just was concerned they may cause issue running the straps over the cables . Ill buy a frame bag and give it a try .
Yeah go under the cables, not over them.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 04-17-20, 01:01 PM
  #6  
SamSpade1941 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SamSpade1941's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Yeah go under the cables, not over them.
Got it

Thanks
SamSpade1941 is offline  
Old 04-17-20, 07:15 PM
  #7  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 14,635

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8631 Post(s)
Liked 5,257 Times in 3,032 Posts
My old gravel frame, that's now a commuting bike, has 3 exposed cables on the top of the top tube.
I used a smaller frame bag(not one that takes up the whole triangle for sure) on it and there was never an issue.
I tried the straps under cables, but ended up moving the straps over the cables. There seemed to be more cable displacement when the straps were under the cables.

just place some donuts(drop of superglue for each) on the cables under the bag and the cables will stay off the frame which will keep paint from scratching.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 04-17-20, 08:11 PM
  #8  
SamSpade1941 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
SamSpade1941's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
My old gravel frame, that's now a commuting bike, has 3 exposed cables on the top of the top tube.
I used a smaller frame bag(not one that takes up the whole triangle for sure) on it and there was never an issue.
I tried the straps under cables, but ended up moving the straps over the cables. There seemed to be more cable displacement when the straps were under the cables.

just place some donuts(drop of superglue for each) on the cables under the bag and the cables will stay off the frame which will keep paint from scratching.
Thanks for the tip it definitely looks easier than going under the cables for certain
SamSpade1941 is offline  
Old 04-24-20, 07:37 AM
  #9  
aggiegrads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 1,253
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 164 Posts
Another option is to put liner on the exposed cable sections the next time you change cables. Then you can run the straps over or under the cables without worrying about damaging the frame or the straps.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=3979
aggiegrads is offline  
Old 04-24-20, 11:30 AM
  #10  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,852
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 533 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads View Post
Another option is to put liner on the exposed cable sections the next time you change cables. Then you can run the straps over or under the cables without worrying about damaging the frame or the straps.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=3979
Have you tried this? I have liner installed on my cross bike and I still don't think I'd run a bag strap over the top of it. Even if it worked I'd imagine it would wear out the liner at some point.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 04-24-20, 01:42 PM
  #11  
wheelsmcgee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
My old gravel frame, that's now a commuting bike, has 3 exposed cables on the top of the top tube.
I used a smaller frame bag(not one that takes up the whole triangle for sure) on it and there was never an issue.
I tried the straps under cables, but ended up moving the straps over the cables. There seemed to be more cable displacement when the straps were under the cables.
This was my experience too. I had a cheapo Nashbar triangle frame bag that would mount to the rear of the main triangle, adjacent to the seat tube...I think it had two Velcro straps over the top tube, I know at least front strap regularly was snugged up against exposed cables (top-of-top-tube, cross style) to no ill-effect...both derailer cables and rear brake.

Essentially, one is not going to be able to strap down the Velcro tight enough to noticeably affect the pull required to actuate brakes/derailers, and the small amount of displacement of the cable by being “smushed” translates to a truly minuscule difference in cable tension.
wheelsmcgee is offline  
Old 04-24-20, 08:25 PM
  #12  
aggiegrads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 1,253
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Have you tried this? I have liner installed on my cross bike and I still don't think I'd run a bag strap over the top of it. Even if it worked I'd imagine it would wear out the liner at some point.
I have not used the liner that I posted a link to, but I did use very small diameter and thin-walled teflon tubing; I don’t remember where I got it. Yes, it would probably wear out the. Liner at some point, but I would rather sacrifice the liner than a frame bag strap or my paint job. You could also just go all-in and use a length of housing.
aggiegrads is offline  
Old 04-25-20, 11:03 AM
  #13  
jfranci3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Move the bag to the seattube side? otherwise, just run a bit of housing where you want the straps to cross the cables. Maybe use thin plastic package strapping for the rear? For a bento box or another strap idea, you can put feet on the box/strap - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Prime-Line-...r-Door/3824567
jfranci3 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.