Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Road tires for Gravel bike

Old 05-30-20, 06:04 AM
  #1  
Roadgraveller
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Road tires for Gravel bike

Hi,

I'm after a little advice

I have Cannondale Carbon HollowGram HG22 (622 25c) wheels which have an inner rim width of 25mm.
Currently I have 37c WTB Riddlers (tubeless).

I'm looking at a bit more road riding and wonder if I could fit Continental GP5000 Tubeless 28c tires or it that a little too narrow? Should I size up to 32c? I don't want them coming off.

It's mega hilly where I live so want to give myself the best chance of getting up'em.

Cheers
​​​​​​

Last edited by Roadgraveller; 05-30-20 at 10:42 AM.
Roadgraveller is offline  
Old 05-30-20, 07:04 AM
  #2  
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel
 
Barrettscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lake Geneva, WI
Posts: 12,153

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
A 28mm tire will fit the rim correctly. I would recommend the 32mm size to maintain some on-gravel versatility, and only considered using them on gravel that is hard packed. I have the prior generation GP 4000 in the 700x28 size these measure about 31mm. If the gravel is firm and well pcked, the tires are sufficient. Once the gravel becomes loose, progress becomes slow and hazardous.
__________________
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Barrettscv is offline  
Old 05-30-20, 08:01 AM
  #3  
Roadgraveller
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
A 28mm tire will fit the rim correctly. I would recommend the 32mm size to maintain some on-gravel versatility, and only considered using them on gravel that is hard packed. I have the prior generation GP 4000 in the 700x28 size these measure about 31mm. If the gravel is firm and well pcked, the tires are sufficient. Once the gravel becomes loose, progress becomes slow and hazardous.
That's great thank you, I was worried the profile of a 28 might be a little squashed on a 25mm inner width rim, or worse still come off. But if you've run them and they were fine that gives me the reassurance I was looking for.
Roadgraveller is offline  
Old 05-30-20, 10:41 AM
  #4  
aggiegrads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
A narrower tire on a wider rim is at greater risk for pinch flats than if were on a narrower rim.

I don’t notice any difference in speed between 28s and 32s, but I do notice more comfort and grip on 32s.
aggiegrads is offline  
Old 05-30-20, 10:45 AM
  #5  
Roadgraveller
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aggiegrads View Post
A narrower tire on a wider rim is at greater risk for pinch flats than if were on a narrower rim.

I don’t notice any difference in speed between 28s and 32s, but I do notice more comfort and grip on 32s.
Thanks, I think maybe 32s might be a better choice. Roads where I am can be a little bumpy.
Roadgraveller is offline  
Old 05-30-20, 11:01 AM
  #6  
Gconan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 629

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Tire & Rim Fit compatibility Chart
Gconan is offline  
Old 05-30-20, 01:46 PM
  #7  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,488

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 260 Posts
I run Conti Grand Prix 4 Season 28’s on WTB ST i23 TCS, 28h rims, whose width is 24mm. On these rims these 28 tires actually end up at 31mm.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 05-30-20, 02:41 PM
  #8  
Roadgraveller
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
I run Conti Grand Prix 4 Season 28’s on WTB ST i23 TCS, 28h rims, whose width is 24mm. On these rims these 28 tires actually end up at 31mm.
Great thanks for sharing, it's all good background info. I'm pretty new into cycling so still loads to learn.

Last edited by Roadgraveller; 05-31-20 at 06:47 AM.
Roadgraveller is offline  
Old 05-31-20, 09:06 AM
  #9  
westrid_dad
Senior Member
 
westrid_dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 141

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadgraveller View Post
Hi,

I'm after a little advice

I have Cannondale Carbon HollowGram HG22 (622 25c) wheels which have an inner rim width of 25mm.
Currently I have 37c WTB Riddlers (tubeless).

I'm looking at a bit more road riding and wonder if I could fit Continental GP5000 Tubeless 28c tires or it that a little too narrow? Should I size up to 32c? I don't want them coming off.

It's mega hilly where I live so want to give myself the best chance of getting up'em.

Cheers
​​​​​​
I'm running Continental GP5000's 700 x 28 tubeless on my road wheelset (622 x 22). I run them between 60-70 psi, and they are very comfortable and fast enough for me. When it is time to replace them, I may go for the 700 x 32 size for some additional plushiness.
westrid_dad is offline  
Old 05-31-20, 10:04 AM
  #10  
katsup
Senior Member
 
katsup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,278

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter & Vintage Mountain Bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 150 Posts
I'd be cautious running 28-32mm tires on a 25 internal width rim. You'll probably be fine, and I have personally never seen any issues, but it is not suggested by manufactures.
katsup is offline  
Old 05-31-20, 11:11 AM
  #11  
Longfellow02
Senior Member
 
Longfellow02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 57

Bikes: Diamondback Cross Campus (1993), Trek Domane 2.3 (2016), Cannondale Topstone 105 AL (2020)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by katsup View Post
I'd be cautious running 28-32mm tires on a 25 internal width rim. You'll probably be fine, and I have personally never seen any issues, but it is not suggested by manufactures.
Newbie to all this...can you please explain why manufacturers would not suggest a 28-32 mm tire on a 25 internal width rim ? thanks !!​​​​​​
Longfellow02 is offline  
Old 05-31-20, 11:24 AM
  #12  
katsup
Senior Member
 
katsup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,278

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter & Vintage Mountain Bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Longfellow02 View Post
Newbie to all this...can you please explain why manufacturers would not suggest a 28-32 mm tire on a 25 internal width rim ? thanks !!​​​​​​
I'd imagine for the same reason the OP mentioned, higher risk of the tire becoming unseated.
katsup is offline  
Old 05-31-20, 06:26 PM
  #13  
aggiegrads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Longfellow02 View Post
Newbie to all this...can you please explain why manufacturers would not suggest a 28-32 mm tire on a 25 internal width rim ? thanks !!​​​​​​
When I think about the profile of a tire mounted on a too-wide rim, I envision a “flattened” vs round profile. This would result in higher forces applied axially (pressure times larger area) and a proportional loss of lateral force which keeps the tire seated on the bead.
aggiegrads is offline  
Old 05-31-20, 07:54 PM
  #14  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,488

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads View Post
When I think about the profile of a tire mounted on a too-wide rim, I envision a “flattened” vs round profile. This would result in higher forces applied axially (pressure times larger area) and a proportional loss of lateral force which keeps the tire seated on the bead.
And yet I’ve read that you get a better aerodynamic profile with a wide rim and tire near the rims width. So somehow that works.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 05-31-20, 08:30 PM
  #15  
aggiegrads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
And yet I’ve read that you get a better aerodynamic profile with a wide rim and tire near the rims width. So somehow that works.
Most 25mm rims have an overall width greater than 30mm.

Recalling a conversation with a very experienced wheel builder, the advantage is a properly matched rim/tire vs a tire with a too-small rim. That would cause a “lightbulb” profile, which has a poor aero shape.

Even if there is no aero advantage, you are still at higher risk for pinch flats.
aggiegrads is offline  
Old 06-04-20, 09:28 AM
  #16  
Oso Polar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 272

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
And yet I’ve read that you get a better aerodynamic profile with a wide rim and tire near the rims width. So somehow that works.
These wide aerodynamic rims are usually much wider outside than inside. For example, the just announced Roval Rapide CLX (https://rovalcomponents.com/products/rapide-clx): 35 mm outside width, only 21 mm inside. I've used 32 mm GP 5000 on 23 mm internal width rims without any problems (manufacturer recommends minimum 35 mm). They were true to size (unlike GP 4000 that usually run larger).
Oso Polar is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.