Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocross-gravelbiking-recreational/)
-   -   Slate vs Caadx (https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocross-gravelbiking-recreational/1207526-slate-vs-caadx.html)

sloar 07-15-20 05:29 AM

Slate vs Caadx
 
I'm trying to decide between a 2018 Slate 105 rigid fork and the 2017 CAADX 105. I'm looking for a fast all weather do everything bike. 90% chip seal roads 10% gravel roads. I don't intend on racing, I just want a solid road bike for all types of weather. If you had to choose between only these two bikes which would you pick? These are both on ebay so no test riding. Thanks

dunc0 07-15-20 08:36 AM

I ride a 2019 Caadx SE 105, fantastic all-rounder. From cross races to 200 mile rides, its been great. I ride roughly a 90/10 pavement/gravel mix too. Haven't ridden the Slate though.

gus6464 07-15-20 08:47 AM

You should make sure the slate fits before you do decide because it has very weird sizing.

sloar 07-15-20 08:51 AM

Looking at the size chart I think the medium will be a good fit. I’m pulling the trigger on one of them today.

jcg878 07-15-20 09:35 AM

Personally, I wouldn't buy these without a test ride. They are as different as two road bikes can be and I think if you choose the wrong one, you'll be very disappointed.

mstateglfr 07-15-20 10:39 AM


Originally Posted by jcg878 (Post 21588514)
Personally, I wouldn't buy these without a test ride. They are as different as two road bikes can be and I think if you choose the wrong one, you'll be very disappointed.

At the rate he goes thru bikes, even a good fit wont last long.

jcg878 07-15-20 10:47 AM


Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21588641)
At the rate he goes thru bikes, even a good fit wont last long.

Got it. Didn't know who i was replying to.

In that case, get the damn Slate. It's weird. :D

chas58 07-15-20 12:50 PM

Some of those CX bikes can be very, very stiff. And I'm not sure the CAADX (2017) can take anything bigger than 35mm tires. Those two seem to have different personalities...

gus6464 07-15-20 11:42 PM


Originally Posted by chas58 (Post 21588884)
Some of those CX bikes can be very, very stiff. And I'm not sure the CAADX (2017) can take anything bigger than 35mm tires. Those two seem to have different personalities...

I forget when they went Ai offset but if that one is then it can take up to 40mm because of it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:28 AM.


Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.