Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocross-gravelbiking-recreational/)
-   -   Need seatpost advice. (https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocross-gravelbiking-recreational/1224911-need-seatpost-advice.html)

MrWasabi 03-02-21 04:34 PM

Need seatpost advice.
 
I have an older RockShox suspension seatpost on my Fuji Traverse and want to go to a non suspension seatpost. I can't find the original stock Oval seatpost and am looking for a new option. Diameter is 31.6. What are some good options to target? I'm only looking to spend $50 tops.

Thanks for any input.

pbass 03-02-21 07:13 PM

Big fan of the Thomson Elite--the weight(much lighter than any stock posts that came on my bikes), the look, how well the clamp works. I now have 3 bikes all with these on 'em. New they're out of your price range but I got the last one used on Pinkbike for around $50 or so.

MrWasabi 03-02-21 07:27 PM


Originally Posted by pbass (Post 21949415)
Big fan of the Thomson Elite--the weight(much lighter than any stock posts that came on my bikes), the look, how well the clamp works. I now have 3 bikes all with these on 'em. New they're out of your price range but I got the last one used on Pinkbike for around $50 or so.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for one. I just picked up a Brooks C17 Carved and need to get a good seatpost to go with it. Honestly I'd spend some more if it warrants it. I figure if I need one anyway, why not do an incremental upgrade while I'm at it if it's not overkill for my needs?

Edit: Would I be good with either a 410mm or 367? I'm 5'9", 30" inseam, bike is 53cm.

scubaman 03-02-21 08:19 PM


Originally Posted by MrWasabi;[url=tel:21949440
21949440[/url]]Edit: Would I be good with either a 410mm or 367? I'm 5'9", 30" inseam, bike is 53cm.

410mm is very long for a seatpost! If you need that for your Fuji Traverse to fit, I think you might want to consider a bigger frame. But I doubt you need it. 367mm should be fine, or the common length of 350mm.

But also, there are lots of decent rigid seatposts. You don't mention if you want setback or not; it'd be convenient to figure that out before you choose a seatpost, unless you just want to get two, with and without, and experiment.

If you are fussy about whether your seat is exactly level, I suggest looking at seatposts that use two bolts to hold the seat, because the ones that use one bolt typically use little ridges in the clamp mechanism, and then the seat angle isn't continuously adjustable.

zen_ 03-02-21 08:36 PM

These Satori seat post are really nice for $50. They make a lot of OE parts (one of mine is off a high end Felt), so you don't need to worry about potentially dodgy carbon.

Russ Roth 03-02-21 09:56 PM

Randombikeparts has I think oval brand carbon posts in your range with shipping included.

MrWasabi 03-03-21 06:11 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone,

There are some good deals on that Randombikeparts site. How are FSA seatposts? I have FSA Afterburner bars. Basically flip a coin between FSA and Oval in that price range?

MrWasabi 03-03-21 08:58 AM

Just scored a new Thomson Elite seatpost for a little over my budget. It's 410mm and no setback like I want. On the length, how much can I trim off? I don't want to take it to the absolute safe limit but am looking for a conservative amount if I don't need it. I think my stock Oval 300 seatpost was 300mm?

https://archive.fujibikes.com/2014/Fuji/traverse-132

Thanks again for the replies and advice.

msu2001la 03-03-21 10:38 AM

Just throwing it out there that the FSA SL-K carbon seat post is roughly the same price as that Thompson Elite, if you wanted to consider a carbon option.

MrWasabi 03-03-21 10:41 AM


Originally Posted by msu2001la (Post 21950200)
Just throwing it out there that the FSA SL-K carbon seat post is roughly the same price as that Thompson Elite, if you wanted to consider a carbon option.

Thanks for the input.

Outside of weight savings (not much here), what will the carbon offer me? Also, can a carbon seatpost be cut shorter if needed?

msu2001la 03-03-21 10:46 AM


Originally Posted by MrWasabi (Post 21950207)
Thanks for the input.

Outside of weight savings (not much here), what will the carbon offer me?

Carbon seat posts (generally speaking) have more compliance and mute vibrations better than aluminum, making for a smoother ride. In most cases they're lighter, though that Thompson post is already pretty lightweight.

pbass 03-03-21 05:16 PM


Originally Posted by MrWasabi (Post 21950020)
Just scored a new Thomson Elite seatpost for a little over my budget. It's 410mm and no setback like I want. On the length, how much can I trim off? I don't want to take it to the absolute safe limit but am looking for a conservative amount if I don't need it. I think my stock Oval 300 seatpost was 300mm?

https://archive.fujibikes.com/2014/Fuji/traverse-132

Thanks again for the replies and advice.

Nice. Like I say, I love mine (all 3!). I think you'll find the clamp mech to be very easy to dial in just right. Nice and light, worth the $$ IMHO.

Russ Roth 03-03-21 09:51 PM

Cutting the thompson isn't an issue, from cutting a number of them over the years for other people they seem to be the same design as far as I can see, biggest thing is marking the same length they recommend should you transfer it elsewhere. Cutting carbon is a slightly different game, you want to tape where you'll cut to prevent fraying and use a new, fine tooth hacksaw blade, I use my bandsaw and it cuts very nicely without a hint of fraying. Like the Thomson I suspect the carbon will be the same profile till you get close to the seat clamp.
As others mentioned, the main benefit is vibration dampening. I knew of the Oval as I have 2 on the way for my wife and my bikes. Although they'll be fairly comfy with the 2.1 tires the carbon can take out just enough of the road buzz to make a difference over 5-6 hours and 80mph. I bought them for the ride comfort but the weight savings is a bonus as even an 1/8 lb matters when fording a stream.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.