Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Screw road bikes, way too scary/dangerous..for me

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Screw road bikes, way too scary/dangerous..for me

Old 04-13-21, 03:56 PM
  #26  
Kat12
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling View Post
I did a solid ass ride yesterday (with my gravel bike) and almost got hit by a motorcyclist who passed me probably going over 125mph, on a normal road. Insanity. This is exactly why I DO NOT own a road bike! I do love the road bike speed and the look of those bikes but screw riding on roads 100% of the time out on my rides. Itís simply WAY too dangerous and scary for me. This is why i decided on a gravel bike instead. That way i can ride in the woods, forests, trails, small dirt/gravel roads, quieter ****tier paved roads, etc. Of course i have to ride on normal roads here and there but i avoid it as much as possible. man, i just donít get how road bike dudes/women risk it, hours at a time out on only roads. just my random rant...
Not everyone lives anywhere near "woods, forests, trails, small dirt/gravel roads, quieter ****tier paved roads, etc." And, some people ride their bikes in order to commute-- whether it's to work or to the grocery store-- and that commute might include city riding.
Kat12 is offline  
Old 04-13-21, 10:42 PM
  #27  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 15,117

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9434 Post(s)
Liked 5,809 Times in 3,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
Not everyone lives anywhere near "woods, forests, trails, small dirt/gravel roads, quieter ****tier paved roads, etc." And, some people ride their bikes in order to commute-- whether it's to work or to the grocery store-- and that commute might include city riding.
The OP was simply voicing their experience and concerns.
You seem to have taken the words as an attack on riding on roads and in traffic, but it isnt that.

I am confident everyone here is aware people in cities use their bike to commute to stores and/or work.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-14-21, 11:39 AM
  #28  
jonathanf2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 267 Posts
The reason I bought a gravel bike is so that I could easily hop a curb, cut across a grassy field, or ride on a rough surface when the roads aren't safe or practical. I live in an urban setting and always see painted white bike memorials strewn across the city for cyclists killed on the streets. I now see the roads merely as a way to ride to my off-road trail destinations where I can then worry about being attacked by a mountain lion or brown bear on a secluded trail!
jonathanf2 is offline  
Old 04-14-21, 11:44 AM
  #29  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 32,853

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked 1,029 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171 View Post
In my area that is a concern too. Invariably there are more loose dogs running around, which increases the possibility of being bit. The area is somewhat rural, and the police is run by the county which services multiple towns, so it may take a while for the sheriff and animal control to show up if there is an issue.

Dave
Use a Marine Air Horn to stop the dog when

it get Close
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 04-14-21, 04:44 PM
  #30  
Kat12
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
The OP was simply voicing their experience and concerns.
You seem to have taken the words as an attack on riding on roads and in traffic, but it isnt that.

I am confident everyone here is aware people in cities use their bike to commute to stores and/or work.
Starting an entire thread about "i just don’t get how road bike dudes/women risk it, hours at a time out on only roads" isn't a judgment?

And, I'm pointing out that not everyone has a choice like OP is lucky to have.
Kat12 is offline  
Old 04-14-21, 08:58 PM
  #31  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 15,117

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9434 Post(s)
Liked 5,809 Times in 3,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
Starting an entire thread about "i just don’t get how road bike dudes/women risk it, hours at a time out on only roads" isn't a judgment?

And, I'm pointing out that not everyone has a choice like OP is lucky to have.
It could certainly be a judgement, yet not be an attack.

If I say - 'I just don't get how free climbers risk it, hours at a time dangling off cliffs by their fingers', is that me attacking climbers? Of course it isnt.

As for the discussion of choice, people in a city also have a choice whether to ride a bike or not.
If they choose to ride, then yeah it most likely means riding in traffic due to realities of location. That's no different than anywhere else- you have to ride based on your location.
Heads up- this is the gravel forum. It's pretty common for more rural riding to be discussed and one such part of that is...fewer cars.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-15-21, 04:21 PM
  #32  
Kat12
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
It could certainly be a judgement, yet not be an attack.

If I say - 'I just don't get how free climbers risk it, hours at a time dangling off cliffs by their fingers', is that me attacking climbers? Of course it isnt.

As for the discussion of choice, people in a city also have a choice whether to ride a bike or not.
If they choose to ride, then yeah it most likely means riding in traffic due to realities of location. That's no different than anywhere else- you have to ride based on your location.
Heads up- this is the gravel forum. It's pretty common for more rural riding to be discussed and one such part of that is...fewer cars.
The word "attack" literally appeared nowhere in my post, nor was implied in anything I said. That was your word.
Kat12 is offline  
Old 04-15-21, 04:50 PM
  #33  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 15,117

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9434 Post(s)
Liked 5,809 Times in 3,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
The word "attack" literally appeared nowhere in my post, nor was implied in anything I said. That was your word.
I'm aware I initially used the word 'attack'.

Here is a recap.
- OP says they don't want to ride near cars since they don't have to.
- you feel judged for some reason and decide you must point out that not everyone has the choice to ride without traffic.
- I used 'attack' to describe how I interpret your crying about how some don't have a choice but to ride in traffic.
- you then get all bent out of shape about the word 'attack' being used..

Seriously, it's all a distinction without a difference.
Im sure everyone recognizes some people must ride in traffic if they choose to ride a bike. Yup, that's a reality. Your observation has been noted.



Eta- I'm out on this one unless substantive discussion starts back up.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 04-15-21, 06:45 PM
  #34  
Bald Paul
Senior Member
 
Bald Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 1,143
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Yeah man US rednecks are a real special inbreed.
Corrected your spelling for you.
Bald Paul is offline  
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-15-21, 08:00 PM
  #35  
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bike
 
Chuck M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,391

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 640 Posts
Some time back, I had reason to drive a back road I and apparently many other riders use according to Strava. I saw the lack of shoulder, the number of rednecks barreling down the road pulling trailers and other things in a different light. But I didn't change my opinion of riding that road. I'm looking forward to half marathon season being over so I can put a new chain and tires on my Saturday roadie and start riding that route again.

I'm not saying it makes sense. But like the smokers that say "something has to kill you", maybe I don't care if this is what kills me.
__________________
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels." -- Heinz StŁcke

Chuck M is offline  
Old 04-15-21, 08:05 PM
  #36  
bonsai171
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,409
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
Use a Marine Air Horn to stop the dog when

it get Close
Thanks for the tip. I carry pepper spray, and luckily have only had to spray a few, been able to outrun most dogs, though I had a scary encounter on gravel at night once where a dog snuck up on me, couldn't even see it coming with tons of lights (it came from the side). Pretty much yelled at the top of my lungs and scared him off. Couldn't react fast enough since he was so close.

Dave
bonsai171 is offline  
Old 04-17-21, 03:03 PM
  #37  
Kat12
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I'm aware I initially used the word 'attack'.

Here is a recap.
- OP says they don't want to ride near cars since they don't have to.
- you feel judged for some reason and decide you must point out that not everyone has the choice to ride without traffic.
- I used 'attack' to describe how I interpret your crying about how some don't have a choice but to ride in traffic.
- you then get all bent out of shape about the word 'attack' being used..

Seriously, it's all a distinction without a difference.
Im sure everyone recognizes some people must ride in traffic if they choose to ride a bike. Yup, that's a reality. Your observation has been noted.



Eta- I'm out on this one unless substantive discussion starts back up.
LOL. If that's your idea of "crying" and "bent out of shape," you don't get out much (nor do you look in a mirror much; you're the one who started an argument because I made an observation and then started going on about "attacks" and "feeling judged" and other drama).

(How much does it end your world if anyone ever actually gets angry at you? Do you make a habit of projecting emotions onto others? Is it common for you to have this kind of overblown vitriolic reaction when people don't agree with you?) Have a nice day; apparently you need it.
Kat12 is offline  
Old 04-23-21, 12:04 PM
  #38  
Bomb Komodo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can't get rid of my road bike

It's too fun and I'm finally able to climb mountains, so once I get my legs strong enough for that I will be on the road bike at times.

That said, I absolutely love not having to deal with cars much anymore. I find that I am riding a lot more often without needing a group road ride.

Had some folks get killed on the same exact route I used to ride in FL, and that really started me rethinking things a little. I also wanted to enjoy all the gravel and trails right near my area as well. So for me, this has been a no brainer. I am really enjoying my riding time again, and I can zen out a little and relax for once when I ride.
Bomb Komodo is offline  
Old 04-23-21, 05:18 PM
  #39  
biketampa
I donít live in Tampa
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 447

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
I definitely prefer gravel and have a nice 20 mile gravel loop that is 95% gravel and itís a common route for cyclists and there are still houses and farms so I never feel too isolated.

I still occasionally ride on the road with my rod bike but I pick and choose when and wear. With that bike I tend to ride on a nice wide multiuse path so no cars there.
biketampa is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 05:09 PM
  #40  
Siu Blue Wind
Homey
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,449
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Liked 1,191 Times in 764 Posts
@mstateglfr and @Kat12 please stop replying to each other on the thread. If you need to, take your argument to PMs please. Thank you
__________________
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 05:33 PM
  #41  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 15,117

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9434 Post(s)
Liked 5,809 Times in 3,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
@mstateglfr and @Kat12 please stop replying to each other on the thread. If you need to, take your argument to PMs please. Thank you
It's been 10 days since I said I was out on responding to the other poster, and I have followed thru.
...but your direction has been noted.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 07:29 PM
  #42  
Siu Blue Wind
Homey
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,449
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Liked 1,191 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
It's been 10 days since I said I was out on responding to the other poster, and I have followed thru.
...but your direction has been noted.
Thanks.
__________________
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 10:48 PM
  #43  
Wattsup
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
I think gravel riding can be about as dangerous as you want to make it. I cracked a couple of ribs last year, almost fell off a 100 ft embankment and into a creek. Deer are a constant threat, especially when riding through the woods at dusk. And there's the dogs. Dogs salivating for a calf. Other cyclists pose a danger on gravel, especially kids. Kids just mosey on along, head down. I've had to yell "Heads up!" many times at opposing bike traffic. The faster you ride, the more danger involved. That said, I'd rather die riding gravel than being mowed over by an old one-eyed lady driving a Buick.

Last edited by Wattsup; 04-25-21 at 10:58 PM.
Wattsup is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 10:53 PM
  #44  
Wattsup
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
What are those mirrors for on the helmets, to give you a few seconds to say a short prayer?

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
You need some growing up.
Try riding with Trucks.

OR
Wattsup is offline  
Likes For Wattsup:
Old 04-25-21, 11:03 PM
  #45  
Wattsup
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
I keep a few Milkbones in my pocket.

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
Use a Marine Air Horn to stop the dog when

it get Close
Wattsup is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 11:08 PM
  #46  
Wattsup
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
Riding on secluded gravel roads and trails where no-gooders can prey on others with little fear of being seen or caught carries risks too. Some of us feel safer on semi busy / busy roads.
I've felt a little vulnerable at times riding deserted gravel paths. Every time I get a little creeped out, I say I'm going to order some pepper spray as soon as I get home. I never do though. I think I will now. I figire I need two small canisters, one on the bike, and one on my person in case I get knocked off the bike. Maybe a small knife too.
Wattsup is offline  
Old 04-26-21, 10:45 AM
  #47  
pipeliner
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
Riding on secluded gravel roads and trails where no-gooders can prey on others with little fear of being seen or caught carries risks too. Some of us feel safer on semi busy / busy roads.
Luckily that is not a problem for me where I live... BUT In her younger days my wife carried a small revolver with her when riding on the highway early in the morning because a couple creeps stopped and tried to “talk” to her. Scared the heck out of her so I bought her a Fanny pack concealment holster just to ease her (and my) concern and she could continue her morning rides that she loved doing. She never had to reach for it but the peace of mind is worth a whole lot IMO. She could protect her person if need be. I think a lady riding by themselves on a road day in and day out is susceptible to things that don’t occur to most of us until it happens. Some sort of self defense is a very good idea no matter where you live or ride. Firearm or mace or whatever.
I’ve read that bike-jacking is a thing in some areas now too. People actually get robbed of their bike and left standing on the side of the road. Not that I would get into an armed altercation over a bike but the level of brazen criminality is definitely on the rise.
pipeliner is offline  
Old 05-10-21, 01:18 PM
  #48  
xseal
Junior Member
 
xseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup View Post
I've felt a little vulnerable at times riding deserted gravel paths. Every time I get a little creeped out, I say I'm going to order some pepper spray as soon as I get home. I never do though. I think I will now. I figire I need two small canisters, one on the bike, and one on my person in case I get knocked off the bike. Maybe a small knife too.
I carry this in my top tube bag.

https://www.benchmade.com/3300.html
xseal is offline  
Old 05-10-21, 02:52 PM
  #49  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 15,117

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9434 Post(s)
Liked 5,809 Times in 3,357 Posts
Originally Posted by xseal View Post
I carry this in my top tube bag.

https://www.benchmade.com/3300.html
You have a $500 knife in your bag?
That seems about $475 more than necessary, but to each their own.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 05-14-21, 02:37 PM
  #50  
xseal
Junior Member
 
xseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
You have a $500 knife in your bag?
That seems about $475 more than necessary, but to each their own.
You haven't seen/tried one. Somethings are expensive because they are worth it. Then again, I a lot of time getting trained by tax dollars and know the difference b/t a good weapon and one that isn't.
xseal is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.