Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Panaracer Pasela Protite PT vs GravelKing TLC Plus Slick tires for 2nd wheelset?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Panaracer Pasela Protite PT vs GravelKing TLC Plus Slick tires for 2nd wheelset?

Old 04-25-21, 07:18 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 455 Posts
Panaracer Pasela Protite PT vs GravelKing TLC Plus slick tires for 2nd wheelset?

For a 2nd wheel set that will see more road and light off-road riding, I'm debating between the Panaracer Pasela Protite PT versus GravelKing TLC + slicks with the slightly thicker rubber. Anybody with experiences using both tires? I was a bit surprised, because Bicycle Rolling Resistance recently reviewed the Paselas which showed to have slightly less rolling resistance than the (non plus) GravelKing TLC slicks.

Any opinion on which to choose? I found both in 700x38c close to same price and I'm trying to decide which to buy. Thanks!

Last edited by jonathanf2; 04-25-21 at 08:23 PM.
jonathanf2 is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 11:03 PM
  #2  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,718

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11058 Post(s)
Liked 7,612 Times in 4,247 Posts
I have GK tires in a few sizes. 28mm slick, 32mm slick, and 43mm semi-slick. None are the plus + version.
I've had 3 sets of Pasela tires in 28-35mm sizes. None were the PT version.


The Pasela sidewalls were extremely thin/weak. I am a little surprised the rolling resistance is equal to the GK slick, but that's just a drum test and I bet in use a Pasela would frustrate me sooner than a GK.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-26-21, 10:10 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have GK tires in a few sizes. 28mm slick, 32mm slick, and 43mm semi-slick. None are the plus + version.
I've had 3 sets of Pasela tires in 28-35mm sizes. None were the PT version.


The Pasela sidewalls were extremely thin/weak. I am a little surprised the rolling resistance is equal to the GK slick, but that's just a drum test and I bet in use a Pasela would frustrate me sooner than a GK.
Got it. So the GK's are just more durable over the Paselas? I was reading the GK semi-slicks being somewhat the successor to the Pasela line. Since you have the semi-slicks, would you suggest that tire being a good compromise between the full slicks and a touring tread tire? Thanks!
jonathanf2 is offline  
Old 04-26-21, 10:24 AM
  #4  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,718

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11058 Post(s)
Liked 7,612 Times in 4,247 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Got it. So the GK's are just more durable over the Paselas? I was reading the GK semi-slicks being somewhat the successor to the Pasela line. Since you have the semi-slicks, would you suggest that tire being a good compromise between the full slicks and a touring tread tire? Thanks!
There are so many tires with so many tread patterns and features that I definitely cant speak with authority on all of them. I can gladly make some sweeping generalizations though!

When I toured, I used slick tires because it was touring on pavement so there is no need for tread. If I were to tour on backroads/gravel/crushed stone paths, I might get a tire with some tread since it might help, but really all thats needed is a wider profile tire with proper pressure to make that style of riding comfortable and safe.
A treadless(slick) tire can perform just as well as a tire with tread when used on paved and hardpack surfaces. Depending on the setup specifics, it can actually perform better(roll faster).

In my admittedly limited experience of a few GK slick and a few Pasela tires, yeah the GK feels more durable and the sidewalls are in better condition. The two tires have very different materials for the sidewalls.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-27-21, 07:47 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
There are so many tires with so many tread patterns and features that I definitely cant speak with authority on all of them. I can gladly make some sweeping generalizations though!

When I toured, I used slick tires because it was touring on pavement so there is no need for tread. If I were to tour on backroads/gravel/crushed stone paths, I might get a tire with some tread since it might help, but really all thats needed is a wider profile tire with proper pressure to make that style of riding comfortable and safe.
A treadless(slick) tire can perform just as well as a tire with tread when used on paved and hardpack surfaces. Depending on the setup specifics, it can actually perform better(roll faster).

In my admittedly limited experience of a few GK slick and a few Pasela tires, yeah the GK feels more durable and the sidewalls are in better condition. The two tires have very different materials for the sidewalls.
Thanks for the helpful feedback! I ended up going with GK + TLC slicks. I tried a pair and they roll fast compared to my WTB Nano tires I'm currently riding on. I wanted the + tires since I read the regular slicks are easy to puncture.
jonathanf2 is offline  
Likes For jonathanf2:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.