Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Fog cutter steel fork?

Old 09-20-21, 06:03 PM
  #1  
Advanced Slacker
Thread Starter
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,215

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,434 Posts
Fog cutter steel fork?

Curious if anyone has tried the Soma Fog Cutter with the steel fork option. If you have also tried the CF fork Iíd love to hear your comparison.

Iíve been riding a FC for a few years now with the CF fork and its OK, but I donít love it. The steel fork on my old Salsa Casseroll felt more lively and smooth. This fork feels a tad stiff and dead in comparison.

I see the color-matched steel one for a decent price and am tempted to give it a shot.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 09-21-21, 12:46 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
katsup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,771

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I have the v1 fog cutter, but with the cromo fork. I haven't ridden the carbon fork to compare, but never thought of the steel fork as dead and stiff. It does feel a bit heavy when lifting, but I don't feel it when riding. I do wish the fog cutter's fork was a higher grade than Tange infinity, but at least they offer one.


I don't have any bikes with a carbon fork as I like and stick with steel

Last edited by katsup; 09-21-21 at 12:50 AM.
katsup is offline  
Likes For katsup:
Old 09-21-21, 07:43 AM
  #3  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,687

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11038 Post(s)
Liked 7,589 Times in 4,231 Posts
I would be surprised if Prestige blades would be meaningfully lighter than the Infinity blades on a prodcution fork like this. Since its a production fork, and disc, it will almost for sure be spec'd with a tubing profile that is for sure able to pass testing and that means not going too thin on the butting.
Columbus Cromor and SL tubing both use .9mm blades, for example.
Since this is a production disc fork, it probably has something like 1.2/.9 tubing to resist flex and thats regardless of what tube set it comes from.

Prestige would get you heat treated tubing, for what thats worth.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 09-21-21, 10:18 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
katsup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,771

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I would be surprised if Prestige blades would be meaningfully lighter than the Infinity blades on a prodcution fork like this. Since its a production fork, and disc, it will almost for sure be spec'd with a tubing profile that is for sure able to pass testing and that means not going too thin on the butting.
Columbus Cromor and SL tubing both use .9mm blades, for example.
Since this is a production disc fork, it probably has something like 1.2/.9 tubing to resist flex and thats regardless of what tube set it comes from.

Prestige would get you heat treated tubing, for what thats worth.
But it shows an Infinity sticker vs Prestige I know the weight savings won't be much.

Some of Soma's first disc bikes had Prestige forks so I'm sure it was a cost cutting decision.
katsup is offline  
Old 09-21-21, 11:35 AM
  #5  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,687

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11038 Post(s)
Liked 7,589 Times in 4,231 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
But it shows an Infinity sticker vs Prestige
No argument from me on this. My gravel frame is has 853 tubes for the main triangle, it isnt really any lighter than some 631 options, but it has that 853 tag!
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 09-22-21, 10:48 AM
  #6  
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 13,463

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3131 Post(s)
Liked 2,113 Times in 1,376 Posts
"feels dead" = damping accomplished by the CFRP. But it's really stiff.

"feels lively" = flex, when you have thinner stronger steel there's less of it, the extra strength lets it flex further before it bends. So it's springy but the damper is you.

Pick your poison, right?
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 09-22-21, 12:08 PM
  #7  
Advanced Slacker
Thread Starter
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,215

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
"feels dead" = damping accomplished by the CFRP. But it's really stiff.

"feels lively" = flex, when you have thinner stronger steel there's less of it, the extra strength lets it flex further before it bends. So it's springy but the damper is you.

Pick your poison, right?
No, not necessarily. Damped vs springy CAN be a choice between two decent options.

Well executed CF is damped but also smooth. They can be damped without feeling dead (it is a matter of degree).

Steel can be too noodley, too stiff, or just right.

Unfortunately, when looking at a cheap CF or steel steel forks, you don't really know what you are going to get. In the case of my Casseroll, I got a good steel fork. In the case of something like my old Karate Monkey, I got a steel fork stiff as hell. On my FC, I got a somewhat stiff, dead CF fork. On my wifes old Windsor Road bike, the CF fork felt pretty nice. All (relatively) cheap forks.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 09-22-21, 12:17 PM
  #8  
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 13,463

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3131 Post(s)
Liked 2,113 Times in 1,376 Posts
I can certainly agree there's more to it. One of the things I learned from various cut-up-the-chinarello articles is that a cheap CF frame or fork is basically the CF equivalent of hi-ten... put constant thickness of good enough fiber everywhere and call it a day. A really nice carbon frame or fork has a complicated layup schedule to flex just-so and no material where it's not needed
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 09-22-21 at 12:33 PM.
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 09-23-21, 03:35 AM
  #9  
Blamester
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,046

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 102 Posts
Maybe the fork isn't the huge factor everyone thinks. Assuming geometry and wheel stay the same. I swapped a steel fork for a carbon fork on a roadbike and i really didn't notice a difference.
But i later swapped the alu bars for a carbon bar and that really was noticeable.
The carbon bar has a controlled springiness that really transformed the ride quality.
​​​​​​A different bike and parts than yours but still worth thinking about.
Having tried both i would choose a carbon bar over carbon fork any day.
That's my two cents.
blamester is offline  
Old 09-23-21, 05:15 AM
  #10  
Advanced Slacker
Thread Starter
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,215

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
Maybe the fork isn't the huge factor everyone thinks. Assuming geometry and wheel stay the same. I swapped a steel fork for a carbon fork on a roadbike and i really didn't notice a difference.
But i later swapped the alu bars for a carbon bar and that really was noticeable.
The carbon bar has a controlled springiness that really transformed the ride quality.
​​​​​​A different bike and parts than yours but still worth thinking about.
Having tried both i would choose a carbon bar over carbon fork any day.
That's my two cents.
In my experience (from doing frame-set swaps with the same components), the fork can make a big difference. And while steel and CF have different ride characteristics, it is the specific execution of each that really determines whether it is a good ride. I think it is possible that if both a steel fork and CF are overly stiff, there is going to be less difference between them.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 09-28-21, 06:51 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,873

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,094 Posts
Funny, I'm rocking the steel FC fork and am curious if the CF fork would give a smoother ride.

The FC is my randonneuring bike, and I'm always in pursuit of increased comfort for all-day rides. I don't know how a lively fork vs dead fork feels. My cross bike has a carbon fork; compared to the FC it feels smoother on dirt trails. Maybe more controllable, but it's hard to say what's fork and what's bike.

I hope you buy the steel fork and report.
downtube42 is offline  
Old 10-26-21, 09:23 AM
  #12  
Advanced Slacker
Thread Starter
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,215

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,434 Posts
Well I saw a good deal on the steel fork and decided to give it a shot. Can't ride it yet due to a broken shifter, but here are my first 2 observations:

The color match is just a tad off. The fork is a bit more fire engine red as compared to the blood red of the frame and CF fork. Par for the course with what I have come to expect from Soma's lax QC in the past.

Weights (both with steerers cut to the identical length):
  • CF:760g
  • Steel:1,038g
So, a 278g difference. Not as big a difference as I thought it would be.
Kapusta is offline  
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-26-21, 06:03 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
katsup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,771

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Well I saw a good deal on the steel fork and decided to give it a shot. Can't ride it yet due to a broken shifter, but here are my first 2 observations:

The color match is just a tad off. The fork is a bit more fire engine red as compared to the blood red of the frame and CF fork. Par for the course with what I have come to expect from Soma's lax QC in the past.

Weights (both with steerers cut to the identical length):
  • CF:760g
  • Steel:1,038g
So, a 278g difference. Not as big a difference as I thought it would be.
Thanks for the weights, I was always curious the weight savings if I had bought the CF fork.

I don't notice any difference with the red on my frame and fork, but I had bought mine together at the same time. I wonder if at some point the red slightly changed.
katsup is offline  
Old 10-26-21, 06:30 PM
  #14  
Advanced Slacker
Thread Starter
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,215

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
Thanks for the weights, I was always curious the weight savings if I had bought the CF fork.

I don't notice any difference with the red on my frame and fork, but I had bought mine together at the same time. I wonder if at some point the red slightly changed.
Yeah, i bought the frame and CF fork something like 4 years ago. They didnít even offer a steel fork then. Surely a different run and may have used a different painter.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 10-26-21, 07:01 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,873

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,094 Posts
Speaking of Soma and paint.

The Fog Cutter Russo Red touch-up paint is nowhere close to matching the frame/fork. Given the FC paint chips off if you look at it sideways, my new bike is becoming quite mottled.

I keep meaning to take it to a automotive paint place to get some matching paint mixed, but can never get around to it. I imagine one day I'll end up getting the frame - which I love - repainted.
downtube42 is offline  
Old 11-20-21, 05:31 PM
  #16  
Advanced Slacker
Thread Starter
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,215

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,434 Posts
I got the shifter fixed, and have about 4 rides on the steel fork.

The difference is noticeable. Not sure I can say which I think is “better”

It seems like the CF fork is a little more smooth in terms of vibration and the small stuff, but the steel fork has more give on the rough stuff. The steel just feels a little…. springier.

The steel fork definitely looks better.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-22-21 at 11:34 AM.
Kapusta is offline  
Likes For Kapusta:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.