Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

All or Nothing

Old 05-24-23, 12:33 PM
  #1  
bOsscO
bOsscO
Thread Starter
 
bOsscO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 716

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 196 Posts
All or Nothing

Looking to get a new bike this year and have narrowed it down to two options;
1. All (the bells and whistles) Landyachtz aluminum adventure bike with carbon fork. Custom built with 1X12 speed (10-50) SRAM Rival e-Tap AXS, hydro discs, Easton EC90 carbon cockpit, 650b Easton wheels, all the mounts. Link here https://landyachtzbikes.com/bike/ab1...bike-frameset/
2. Nothing; bare bones Specialized Crux Comp carbon frame/fork with only water bottle mounts. Comes with SRAM Rival 1 drivetrain, hydro discs, Specialized cockpit, DT Swiss wheels. Link here https://www.specialized.com/us/en/cr...=336163-205813

Roughly the same price for both. The Landyachtz will be heavier but weights unknown. Plan is to use it for both group road rides and gravel rides. Not sure which one to choose.
bOsscO is offline  
Old 05-24-23, 01:27 PM
  #2  
Elvo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,767
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 367 Times in 205 Posts
This one:
https://us.vitusbikes.com/blogs/stor...ke-of-the-year
Elvo is offline  
Old 05-24-23, 03:07 PM
  #3  
bOsscO
bOsscO
Thread Starter
 
bOsscO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 716

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
If I could only get on board with dropped seat stays & pressfit BB.
bOsscO is offline  
Old 05-24-23, 03:35 PM
  #4  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,949

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 777 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
If I could only get on board with dropped seat stays & pressfit BB.
Why are you against dropped seat stays?

Also, there are plenty of gravel bike frames with threaded bottom brackets. I looked at an Ibis Hakka MX before getting a Santa Cruz Stigmata.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 05-24-23, 03:43 PM
  #5  
bOsscO
bOsscO
Thread Starter
 
bOsscO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 716

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Why are you against dropped seat stays?

Also, there are plenty of gravel bike frames with threaded bottom brackets. I looked at an Ibis Hakka MX before getting a Santa Cruz Stigmata.
Im just not a fan of the look of dropped seat stays; personal preference.
Yes both the Landyachtz and Spec have threaded BBs. I do like the Ibis Haka MX but they're in short supply here and cost 10-20% more.
bOsscO is offline  
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 05-24-23, 04:09 PM
  #6  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,949

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 777 Posts
bOsscO Is LandYachtz a small independent frame builder? Or is the frame premade, as implied by: "We only made 100 of these beauties for 2022 ..."

Instead of dropped seat stays, I would be more concerned about the dropped chain stays on the alloy frame you are looking at. That is quite a big bend immediately aft of the bottom bracket, especially for a 6061 aluminum tube.

Tubular Hydroforming Aluminum: 5 Things To Keep In Mind | (millsproducts.com)
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 05-24-23, 05:25 PM
  #7  
bOsscO
bOsscO
Thread Starter
 
bOsscO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 716

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
bOsscO Is LandYachtz a small independent frame builder? Or is the frame premade, as implied by: "We only made 100 of these beauties for 2022 ..."

Instead of dropped seat stays, I would be more concerned about the dropped chain stays on the alloy frame you are looking at. That is quite a big bend immediately aft of the bottom bracket, especially for a 6061 aluminum tube.

Tubular Hydroforming Aluminum: 5 Things To Keep In Mind | (millsproducts.com)
Thanks Smelly. They do both custom frames and premade frames. The bike I'm looking at is one of the 100 premade frames with a custom build kit
bOsscO is offline  
Old 05-24-23, 08:48 PM
  #8  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 15,869

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10272 Post(s)
Liked 6,713 Times in 3,803 Posts
Is there a 3?

That landyacht bike is interesting. Haven't heard of the brand, no idea abiur service and quality. The steel version of the frame you are considering has goofy geometry- like a crazy reach for the XL. Since that's the size I ride, I would probably dismiss the brand based just on that- goofy geometry shows they don't have a grasp on things. It's not like that geometey would fit others.

As for Specialized...the bike is probably really nice, but with like 50 legit brands to consider at this point, choosing that brand is like choosing an overpriced Accord in a lot full of EVs, sports cars, and 4x4s.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 05-24-23, 09:05 PM
  #9  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,949

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 777 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
Thanks Smelly. They do both custom frames and premade frames. The bike I'm looking at is one of the 100 premade frames with a custom build kit
I would not buy a premade frame of which only a total of 100 were made.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 05-25-23, 12:25 AM
  #10  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 15,869

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10272 Post(s)
Liked 6,713 Times in 3,803 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I would not buy a premade frame of which only a total of 100 were made.
Why not? Black Mountain has existed for years by selling a small number of frames in each size and then taking delivery of a new batch as the current inventory sells.

If this small brand buys 400 frames at a time, what's the concern?
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 05-25-23, 01:10 AM
  #11  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,949

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 777 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Why not? Black Mountain has existed for years by selling a small number of frames in each size and then taking delivery of a new batch as the current inventory sells.

If this small brand buys 400 frames at a time, what's the concern?
My concern is that the AB-al frame has an uncommon design featuring dropped 6061 aluminum chain stays having a relatively tight bend immediately aft of the bottom bracket, and 100 samples (of which a number is still unsold) is not sufficient to vet this design.

AB-al Frameset Landyachtz Bikes

If it turns out that this is a tried and true alloy frame characteristic, then I apologize that I had raised this concern in my ignorance.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 05-25-23, 01:57 AM
  #12  
tFUnK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,537

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 267 Posts
Feel like the Crux will be better during roadie duty. But you should get the one you think you'll enjoy more. For me and the type of riding I do, the boring and less unique Specialized seems to work better. My buddy likes to talk smack to me about my mass production bikes, but I don't really hear him because he's always getting dropped on his small-label bikes.
tFUnK is offline  
Old 05-25-23, 09:11 AM
  #13  
bOsscO
bOsscO
Thread Starter
 
bOsscO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 716

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Is there a 3?

That landyacht bike is interesting. Haven't heard of the brand, no idea abiur service and quality. The steel version of the frame you are considering has goofy geometry- like a crazy reach for the XL. Since that's the size I ride, I would probably dismiss the brand based just on that- goofy geometry shows they don't have a grasp on things. It's not like that geometey would fit others.
As for Specialized...the bike is probably really nice, but with like 50 legit brands to consider at this point, choosing that brand is like choosing an overpriced Accord in a lot full of EVs, sports cars, and 4x4s.
Thanks for your input mstateglfr
Is there a 3 (rd option) yes I suppose there's all sorts of options within the 50 legit brands you noted (Salsa Warbird, Norco Search, etc) I'd just narrowed it down to the two to help me not go insane with too many choices.
I'm a 49y/o dude at 6'-3" and +/-200lbs. My 'new bike' musts are threaded bottom bracket, fitting 45c tires, and I would really like a 1X drivetrain and hydraulic disc brakes.
bOsscO is offline  
Old 05-25-23, 09:18 AM
  #14  
bOsscO
bOsscO
Thread Starter
 
bOsscO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 716

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Feel like the Crux will be better during roadie duty. But you should get the one you think you'll enjoy more. For me and the type of riding I do, the boring and less unique Specialized seems to work better. My buddy likes to talk smack to me about my mass production bikes, but I don't really hear him because he's always getting dropped on his small-label bikes.
Haha tFUnK and a solid 'YES' to riding bikes you enjoy. One of the things I like specifically about the Crux is that it looks like a bike; round tubes, standard lines, no flashy labels.
bOsscO is offline  
Old 05-25-23, 09:19 AM
  #15  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 13,716

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,335 Posts
The longer I've been on bike forums the more I've found it strange that people come to post about their two choice bikes out of like hundreds of functionally identical bikes they could have chosen
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-25-23, 10:17 AM
  #16  
bOsscO
bOsscO
Thread Starter
 
bOsscO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 716

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The longer I've been on bike forums the more I've found it strange that people come to post about their two choice bikes out of like hundreds of functionally identical bikes they could have chosen
Like I said I had to narrow it down as there are too many choices these days. I suppose I'm looking for advice (or emotional support) from the BF hive mind to pick the 'right' bike.
bOsscO is offline  
Old 05-25-23, 10:48 AM
  #17  
sarhog
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Greer, SC
Posts: 344

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I am entering the “titanium bike” phase of my life, so I am currently enamored with the Lynskey GR300 I’ve just assembled (for the same price range as the Crux Comp I might add, but with a bluetooth drivetrain and carbon wheels), however I think the new Crux may be one of the best “one bike to do it all” examples in recent memory.
Also, not to add a third choice, but take a look at what Canyon offers for the money…

Good luck.
sarhog is offline  
Old 05-25-23, 12:00 PM
  #18  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,949

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 777 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
My 'new bike' musts are threaded bottom bracket, fitting 45c tires, and I would really like a 1X drivetrain and hydraulic disc brakes.
These requirements do not narrow down the choices by much. However, if you add the prohibition against dropped seat stays, then: Hakka MX - Ibis Cycles Inc.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-31-23, 02:55 PM
  #19  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
 
sean.hwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 972

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 189 Posts
I have been trying to get a used topstone in my size with no luck. Just fixed one up drop bar for the gf. The topstone alloy bike comes with threaded BB.

This bike also comes with a thread BB and seems good value for the money but I don't see people talking about it much on the forums/redit etc..
only $1600
https://www.bikesonline.com/2023-pol...x5-gravel-bike
DRIVETRAIN


Rear derailleur

Shimano 105 RD-R7000 SS, 11-Speed

Cassette
Shimano 105 CS-R7000, 11-Speed, 11-30T

Shifter
Shimano 105 ST-R7020, 2x11-Speed Shifter

Chain
KMC X11, 11-Speed

Bottom Bracket
Praxis BSA, 68mm

Crankset
Praxis ALBA, 48-32T

CONTACT POINTS


Handlebar
Entity Sport, 121mm drop x 74mm reach x 16 flare

Stem
Entity Sport, 31.8mm

Saddle
Entity, Steel, 7mm
WHEELSET


Rim
Alloy Double Wall, FV, 24H , 622x19, H;30mm, Tubeless Tape Instaled *

Front hub
Novatec D791SB, 12x100mm, 24H, CL

Rear Hub
Novatec D792SB, 12x142, 24H, CL

Tyres
VeeTireCo G-Sport, 700x35C, DCC Compound, Tubeless ready
BRAKESET


Brake lever
Shimano 105 ST-R7020

Brake Caliper
Shimano 105 BRK-R7020

Rotors
Shimano SM-RT30, 160mm
WEIGHT
10.3kg Size Medium (Without Pedals)
sean.hwy is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 11:45 AM
  #20  
zen_
Full Member
 
zen_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I have been trying to get a used topstone in my size with no luck. Just fixed one up drop bar for the gf. The topstone alloy bike comes with threaded BB.

This bike also comes with a thread BB and seems good value for the money but I don't see people talking about it much on the forums/redit etc..
only $1600
https://www.bikesonline.com/2023-pol...x5-gravel-bike
DRIVETRAIN


Rear derailleur

Shimano 105 RD-R7000 SS, 11-Speed

Cassette
Shimano 105 CS-R7000, 11-Speed, 11-30T

Shifter
Shimano 105 ST-R7020, 2x11-Speed Shifter

Chain
KMC X11, 11-Speed

Bottom Bracket
Praxis BSA, 68mm

Crankset
Praxis ALBA, 48-32T

CONTACT POINTS


Handlebar
Entity Sport, 121mm drop x 74mm reach x 16 flare

Stem
Entity Sport, 31.8mm

Saddle
Entity, Steel, 7mm
WHEELSET


Rim
Alloy Double Wall, FV, 24H , 622x19, H;30mm, Tubeless Tape Instaled *

Front hub
Novatec D791SB, 12x100mm, 24H, CL

Rear Hub
Novatec D792SB, 12x142, 24H, CL

Tyres
VeeTireCo G-Sport, 700x35C, DCC Compound, Tubeless ready
BRAKESET


Brake lever
Shimano 105 ST-R7020

Brake Caliper
Shimano 105 BRK-R7020

Rotors
Shimano SM-RT30, 160mm
WEIGHT
10.3kg Size Medium (Without Pedals)
Polygon makes really nice bikes for the money, but their gravel bikes are a bit lackluster in my opinion. The Path has an absolutely massive stack height, and they used an 11-30 cassette with 105 short cage RD for some reason. I don't think anything can touch the Canyon Grizl 6 in the budget category.
zen_ is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 11:56 AM
  #21  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,949

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 777 Posts
Originally Posted by zen_
Polygon makes really nice bikes for the money, but their gravel bikes are a bit lackluster in my opinion. The Path has an absolutely massive stack height, and they used an 11-30 cassette with 105 short cage RD for some reason. I don't think anything can touch the Canyon Grizl 6 in the budget category.
An RD-R7000-SS with an CS-R7000 11-30 is the cheapest 105 drivetrain which might still work adequately on gravel when paired with the Praxis 48/32 crankset. Swap that for a GRX 46/30 crank and one has a full Shimano drivetrain. Yes, either aluminum Grizl would be preferable, but Canyon does not sell everywhere yet.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 02:22 PM
  #22  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
 
sean.hwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 972

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by zen_
Polygon makes really nice bikes for the money, but their gravel bikes are a bit lackluster in my opinion. The Path has an absolutely massive stack height, and they used an 11-30 cassette with 105 short cage RD for some reason. I don't think anything can touch the Canyon Grizl 6 in the budget category.
I would just sway out for grx rear derailleur and 11-40T cassette. The Canyon is press fit BB though.

I am still on the look out for used topstone 2x grx or 2x 105 in size small. I see tons of XS, MED, large for sale in nor cal. I was kind of thinking of rolling the dice with cfr696. Some people love them and other people got a bad frame and no warranty :/
sean.hwy is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 03:36 PM
  #23  
Clipped_in
Rubber side down
 
Clipped_in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Teh Quickie Mart
Posts: 1,759

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
If I could only get on board with dropped seat stays & pressfit BB.
Clipped_in is offline  
Old 06-01-23, 07:14 PM
  #24  
zen_
Full Member
 
zen_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
The Canyon is press fit BB though.
It would definitely be a little better if they switched back to BSA, or moved to T47 like many manufacturers are. However, the press fit BB is less problematic in alloy frames (harder for the shell to become deformed), and Canyon does use a Token thread together BB, which improves service life.

Again, I really like Polygon and recommend their road and mountain bikes often, but for some reason they just missed the mark with their gravel offering.
zen_ is offline  
Old 06-02-23, 01:53 AM
  #25  
sean.hwy
Senior Member
 
sean.hwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 972

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
These requirements do not narrow down the choices by much. However, if you add the prohibition against dropped seat stays, then: Hakka MX - Ibis Cycles Inc.
I have a 2022 hakka. It's nice light frame with T47 threaded BB. I would bought a Crux if they had grx model in my size.
sean.hwy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.