Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

1" cross forks?

Old 06-25-07, 07:41 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1" cross forks?

Do these still exist, or do I need to sift through ebay?

I'd prefer something decently light, not $500, and less ugly than the Al Kinesis crosslight that's coming on my bike to be.
moki is offline  
Old 06-25-07, 08:34 PM
  #2  
uberNEWB
 
dzinehaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 528

Bikes: Haro V2 [rip / stolen], PEUGEOT '93 SELECT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1" threaded or unthreaded? yes they still exist, you can find aluminum 1" cross forks on nashbar.com
dzinehaus is offline  
Old 06-25-07, 10:42 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dzinehaus
1" threaded or unthreaded? yes they still exist, you can find aluminum 1" cross forks on nashbar.com
that's what I was afraid of.

ideally I'd get the frame builder Mark Nobilette to build me one, but I suspect it'll be steep.
moki is offline  
Old 06-26-07, 01:32 AM
  #4  
BRW Mascot
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LA
Posts: 3

Bikes: Many Much

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stella Azzurra Bellagio Cyclocross carbon fork comes in 1" and 1 1/8

https://www.stellaazzurra.com/Forks/Bellagio-Cross.php
ig9d9 is offline  
Old 06-26-07, 04:58 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want carbon, Wound Up ($425) and Nashbar ($130) are both readily available. Word on the street is, the Nashbar is actually a Winwood. If you want steel, the CrossCheck fork is available for $100, give or take, the Indy Fab fork is $325 in a variety of rakes and steerer configurations, or you could, as you say, contact a builder. La Suprema bikes here in Tucson offers custom forks starting at $110. It's a route I'm considering taking. Of course, there are many options for custom steel forks of varying price ranges.
justinb is offline  
Old 06-26-07, 09:33 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by justinb
If you want carbon, Wound Up ($425) and Nashbar ($130) are both readily available. Word on the street is, the Nashbar is actually a Winwood. If you want steel, the CrossCheck fork is available for $100, give or take, the Indy Fab fork is $325 in a variety of rakes and steerer configurations, or you could, as you say, contact a builder. La Suprema bikes here in Tucson offers custom forks starting at $110. It's a route I'm considering taking. Of course, there are many options for custom steel forks of varying price ranges.
Thanks!

$110 for a custom steel fork is insane. So is the gnashbar, if it indeed, a Winwood. I'm from Canadia, and the retail price on those is about $600.

A fork by Mark Nobilette is 3 bills, and I'm sorely tempted to go with this option. Steel is real blablabla.
moki is offline  
Old 06-27-07, 01:38 AM
  #7  
I am an incurable.
 
delay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 993

Bikes: IRO Mark V pro (RIP), Bianchi Giro, Giant Xtc1, Redline Conquest Pro, Kelly Deluxe singlespeed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moki
Thanks!

$110 for a custom steel fork is insane. So is the gnashbar, if it indeed, a Winwood. I'm from Canadia, and the retail price on those is about $600.

A fork by Mark Nobilette is 3 bills, and I'm sorely tempted to go with this option. Steel is real blablabla.

Really? Nobilette's Niece works at a coffee shop I go to all the time. This is the first time I have heard anyone mention him aside from her. If you want a decent alternative, there are some Kelly forks floating around

https://shop.vendio.com/milewidesport.../?s=1182765602

also custom steel.
__________________
www.oldsylebeer.com
delay is offline  
Old 06-27-07, 02:20 PM
  #8  
uberNEWB
 
dzinehaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 528

Bikes: Haro V2 [rip / stolen], PEUGEOT '93 SELECT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understood aside from the weight factor steel is the way to go for a cross fork. You can get cheaper 1" carbon forks new on e-bay. average cost for either a reynolds ouzo pro or a ritchey pro are about 139$ USD.
dzinehaus is offline  
Old 06-27-07, 02:32 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
that is a damn tasty deal on a damn good fork.
justinb is offline  
Old 06-28-07, 09:05 PM
  #10  
GADawg
 
kmoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 89

Bikes: Salsa Ala Carte, Kona Jake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There ya go:
https://cgi.ebay.com/Easton-Carbon-EC...QQcmdZViewItem
kmoses is offline  
Old 06-28-07, 10:02 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kmoses
isn't that a road fork? I want to run either cantis or mini vs, so it won't work.

I guess Mark Nobilette's name doesn't come up near as often as some builders, such as Sachs, Sascha White, and whoever else happens to be dropping jaws as of late. But the man's been at it for a long time (30+ years), and does some pretty high profile work, at least by custom standards. He builds for Rivendell, and is also reviving the Rene Herse brand name. As I've got a huge soft spot for randonneuring bikes, I can't wait to see how they turn out.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a custom fork with lowrider and fender mounts. Not the cleanest look, but eminently practical, esp if I want to tour on this rig. Don't see why I can't use it for both racing and distance riding.
moki is offline  
Old 06-29-07, 08:49 AM
  #12  
shoot up or shut up.
 
isotopesope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 1,961

Bikes: yes please.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moki
I guess Mark Nobilette's name doesn't come up near as often as some builders, such as Sachs, Sascha White, and whoever else happens to be dropping jaws as of late. But the man's been at it for a long time (30+ years), and does some pretty high profile work, at least by custom standards. He builds for Rivendell, and is also reviving the Rene Herse brand name. As I've got a huge soft spot for randonneuring bikes, I can't wait to see how they turn out.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a custom fork with lowrider and fender mounts. Not the cleanest look, but eminently practical, esp if I want to tour on this rig. Don't see why I can't use it for both racing and distance riding.
mark nobilette is an amazing builder. too bad his name doesn't register as high as it should. i see his bikes occasionally around here, but not as often as i would like. maybe you should get a matching nobilette frame for this potential fork.
isotopesope is offline  
Old 06-29-07, 09:00 AM
  #13  
GADawg
 
kmoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 89

Bikes: Salsa Ala Carte, Kona Jake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ah, on closer inspection I see it is.

I know I've seen 1" carbon cross forks on ebay.
kmoses is offline  
Old 07-04-07, 09:17 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
tkehler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: My family and I -- wife and two young children -- live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 723

Bikes: TST ti 'cross bike (commuter); Guru ti road bike; recumbent; Airnimal Chameleon folding racing bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re: Independent Fab.'s fork:

IF's cross fork (steel) has gone up in price. I called them the other day (late June 2007) and they said $420 bucks, before shipping.

It's a great fork though. Sadly mine is just too short.

Last edited by tkehler; 07-04-07 at 09:25 PM.
tkehler is offline  
Old 07-04-07, 09:24 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
tkehler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: My family and I -- wife and two young children -- live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 723

Bikes: TST ti 'cross bike (commuter); Guru ti road bike; recumbent; Airnimal Chameleon folding racing bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmoses
Well, that's a road fork AND to make matters worse, the steerer has been cut. So that wasn't terribly helpful....
tkehler is offline  
Old 07-14-07, 11:01 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: fogtown...san francisco
Posts: 2,276

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check out the fork section of https://www.chucksbikes.com/store/
fogrider is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.