Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Which shoe would you choose?

Old 06-05-11, 09:22 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which shoe would you choose?

Last season I used my old Sidis (which are to narrow) and my feet hated them. So I'm thinking about Northwave Striker SBS, Northwave Rebel SBS, or Bontrager? Anyone race in any of these or other wide shoes and have opinions?

I did search for wide CX racing shoes, but none make specific comparisons Thanks in advance
tsutaoka is offline  
Old 06-06-11, 01:04 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized shoes are fairly wide. I like 'em
mazuki is offline  
Old 06-06-11, 04:15 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Sourpuss Magee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Middlesex
Posts: 326
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe Lake shoes have wide sizes available.
Sourpuss Magee is offline  
Old 06-06-11, 08:30 AM
  #4  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sidis also have a wide version.
LeonD is offline  
Old 06-06-11, 10:30 AM
  #5  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 381

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Watch the weight. Last year I bought a pair of Lake wide shoes and they weigh a ton, probably because they use a Vibram sole. I just replaced them with Sidi Megas.

Last edited by ct-vt-trekker; 06-07-11 at 05:53 AM.
ct-vt-trekker is offline  
Old 06-06-11, 12:39 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
telebianchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,310

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by LeonD
Sidis also have a wide version.
You still need to try them on. I've only checked the lower-priced SIDIs, but the normal squish my toes while the wides leave my feet swimming.
telebianchi is offline  
Old 06-06-11, 01:23 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks all for the notes. i went to my lbs which carries specialized and asked about the pro "wide". they said specialzied's wide version have the same soles as the norma version, but with a larger foot volume...they also said sidi megas are wider (which i have currently and are too narrow).

i'm a 40-eee which is a hard size to fit
tsutaoka is offline  
Old 06-06-11, 04:03 PM
  #8  
Riding like its 1990
 
thenomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: IE, SoCal
Posts: 3,785
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I have wide feet and found Adidas shoes a while back, road shoes but they feel good. Now they need better insole inserts but still feel fine width wise.

I also agree Specialized seem to be wider than most euro brands. Just got a set of mtn specialized shoes ad they fit very nice. I've still got to put some mils on them to see how they fare long term.
thenomad is offline  
Old 06-06-11, 05:26 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 457
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsutaoka
...i went to my lbs which carries specialized and asked about the pro "wide". they said specialzied's wide version have the same soles as the norma version, but with a larger foot volume...they also said sidi megas are wider...
I ordered "wide" in the Pro MTB, it was not wide enough, and it certainly didn't have enough "volume" for my high instep, in fact it wasn't any wider than going up a full size & half in regular width, which for Specialized is quite a bit larger. I think you made the right decision avoiding those with your EEE foot.
Werkin is offline  
Old 06-07-11, 11:56 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Werkin
I ordered "wide" in the Pro MTB, it was not wide enough, and it certainly didn't have enough "volume" for my high instep, in fact it wasn't any wider than going up a full size & half in regular width, which for Specialized is quite a bit larger. I think you made the right decision avoiding those with your EEE foot.
thanks Werkin. did you end up trying another brand?
tsutaoka is offline  
Old 06-07-11, 01:48 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 457
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Diadora, Lake, and Shimano; a Lake road shoe felt good standing, but produced hot spots on the bike, and were too thick on the inside ankle causing crankarm contact, the BOA wires on that model dug-in also. I realize you are interested in Cross use, I mention the Lake road shoe because that model in CX/C size was the widest to date, more so than the MX/C MTB shoe I tried.

I'm waiting for Sidi Megas, and I hope to have better fit than your experience. I've been stuffed into standard width Sidis for ten years (Megas weren't available when I purchased), a distributor spokesperson said the last changed in 2010 so Mega sizing overall should be larger than previous versions.
Werkin is offline  
Old 06-08-11, 01:16 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Werkin
Diadora, Lake, and Shimano; a Lake road shoe felt good standing, but produced hot spots on the bike, and were too thick on the inside ankle causing crankarm contact, the BOA wires on that model dug-in also. I realize you are interested in Cross use, I mention the Lake road shoe because that model in CX/C size was the widest to date, more so than the MX/C MTB shoe I tried.

I'm waiting for Sidi Megas, and I hope to have better fit than your experience. I've been stuffed into standard width Sidis for ten years (Megas weren't available when I purchased), a distributor spokesperson said the last changed in 2010 so Mega sizing overall should be larger than previous versions.
Werkin thanks again. Let me know your experience with the 2010+ Sidi wides...as mine are pre-2010. As for Lakes, I did try on a pair and were too narrow They also seemed very heavy + somewhat flexy sole. both not really desirable for norcal cross courses.
tsutaoka is offline  
Old 06-08-11, 11:24 AM
  #13  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,595

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,361 Times in 867 Posts
How about Shimano Sandals? then, width is an adjustment of the straps .


Back of Velo News has custom cycling shoe makers listed.

.. the last resort of the chronically hard to fit.

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-08-11 at 11:32 AM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 06-08-11, 11:55 PM
  #14  
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz
 
cc700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 8,542

Bikes: tirove

Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am STARING DOWN THE BARREL at these:


and also thinking of specialized, sidi and shimano.

i don't need or want to spend much money on shoes but i really really need something better than the paincases that are my three year old adidas marathon mtbs.
cc700 is offline  
Old 06-09-11, 08:58 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
How about Shimano Sandals? then, width is an adjustment of the straps .


Back of Velo News has custom cycling shoe makers listed.

.. the last resort of the chronically hard to fit.
thanks, but i'm not ready for last resort or sandals for racing. i did end up getting custom d2s for road racing...but dirt seems a bit harder on shoes.
tsutaoka is offline  
Old 06-09-11, 09:00 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc700
I am STARING DOWN THE BARREL at these:


and also thinking of specialized, sidi and shimano.

i don't need or want to spend much money on shoes but i really really need something better than the paincases that are my three year old adidas marathon mtbs.
if your feet are wide, you won't like mavic. i tried them on and they're the most narrow on your list
tsutaoka is offline  
Old 06-11-11, 08:11 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the comments. i ended up with northwave rebels. a lbs had my size. they're not the lightest, nor stiffest, nor sexiest...but they fit! if you have wide feet, i'd recommend checking them out.
tsutaoka is offline  
Old 06-11-11, 11:38 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 457
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsutaoka
... i ended up with northwave rebels...they fit!...
Glad to hear, good for you!

My Mega Sidis arrived and they are plenty large enough; whole size for wide feet, half size for huge feet. I have the half size and if I wasn't desperate for toe room, I would exchange for a whole size. The extra space does allow more air circulation. The sole has a little flex BTW.
Werkin is offline  
Old 06-14-11, 09:44 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Werkin
Glad to hear, good for you!

My Mega Sidis arrived and they are plenty large enough; whole size for wide feet, half size for huge feet. I have the half size and if I wasn't desperate for toe room, I would exchange for a whole size. The extra space does allow more air circulation. The sole has a little flex BTW.
Werkin, thanks for all the advice and comments. good luck with the Sidis...and have fun riding!
tsutaoka is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
maltess2
Road Cycling
17
06-22-16 06:57 PM
unionmade
Road Cycling
8
10-28-11 12:35 PM
GRVR6
Road Cycling
21
08-17-11 12:14 PM
bnelson
General Cycling Discussion
9
02-23-11 06:07 PM
merlinextraligh
Road Cycling
31
08-08-10 03:52 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.