Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Bars For Hybrid Conversion?

Old 04-16-12, 10:54 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
WickedThump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 522

Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bars For Hybrid Conversion?

I'm converting my Crossroads into more of a cyclocross configuration, and need some ideas about swapping from flat bars. Most of the cross bars I've seen don't look too different from road bars. I'm also needing some guidance on brake levers and shifters. I currently have shimano levers and grip shifters, which I'm pretty sure won't work with drop bars.
WickedThump is offline  
Old 04-16-12, 11:18 PM
  #2  
自転車整備士
 
oldskoolwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver, Colorado USA
Posts: 885

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For the most part, 'cross bars are the same as road bars. You want to measure them the same; that is, measure your shoulder width (from bone to bone... or your suit jacket size) and use that. If it's a 42, go for a 42cm bar.

Some riders opt for something slightly wider for more stability, like a 44cm, but it comes down to personal preference.

Not knowing what components you have on your Crossroads, your brake/ shift options are either brifters (brake/shift combo) or standard road levers with bar end shifters. You can also add those 'cross brake levers on the tops of the bars for when you ride in that position. Bank on replacing all of the cables no matter which route you go.

Are you going to use the bike in a true cyclocross application, or just for road/ multi use trail riding? Where you ride will also determine shifter/ brake lever choices.

Alan
oldskoolwrench is offline  
Old 04-17-12, 07:02 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
WickedThump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 522

Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Crossroads has mountain bike bars, brake levers, and grip shifters presently. I'd like bar end shifters or thumb shifters, friction in either instance. This cross bike would likely become my daily rider, not for competition (unless there's a category for 50+, overweight guys). It would need to be an excellent performer on the non-paved parts of urbania, alleyways, dirt and gravel roads, fields, as well as being much faster on pavement than a mountain bike.
I appreciate the advice on handlebars, Thanks.
WickedThump is offline  
Old 04-17-12, 07:12 AM
  #4  
Green Tea Lemonade
 
Oil_LOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Highland Park, NJ
Posts: 369
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WickedThump
My Crossroads has mountain bike bars, brake levers, and grip shifters presently. I'd like bar end shifters or thumb shifters, friction in either instance. This cross bike would likely become my daily rider, not for competition (unless there's a category for 50+, overweight guys). It would need to be an excellent performer on the non-paved parts of urbania, alleyways, dirt and gravel roads, fields, as well as being much faster on pavement than a mountain bike.
I appreciate the advice on handlebars, Thanks.
I really suggest you try out racing. The Cat 4 field is really big, and everyone isn't able to win. There are really good racers, and really bad ones, so anyone can fit in. You won't get made fun of for being bad, maybe heckled a bit, but everyone is haha. It's a lot of fun, and I find competition a good reason to push yourself, compared to just rides by yourself. You have a real reason to train and get in better shape. That being said, do you have any specs on the Crossroads? Like, how many speeds is the rear cassette, and what model derailleurs you're using? Do you have any pics? You might have to swap out the stem, which isn't too big a hassle. If what I'm thinking is true, and the Crossroads has mountain-y geometry, you might need a shorter stem, with higher rise. You may want to go with dirt drops as well, like the Salsa Woodchipper https://salsacycles.com/components/woodchipper/. These tend to work better on a bike with mountain geometry, but standard drops can be good as well. It's all personal preference. Don't be afraid to experiment with your setup.

Last edited by Oil_LOL; 04-17-12 at 07:25 AM.
Oil_LOL is offline  
Old 04-17-12, 09:07 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,119
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forget the drop bars. Get H-bars.
flargle is offline  
Old 04-17-12, 09:55 AM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Or, just forget changing the bars just to ride cross in a :45 race once a week,
if that is your only need ..

A drop bar conversion, for it's own sake , if you want it to be indexed
shifting, on both before and after the conversion..

stem bars both brake and shifters or combo Brifters and 4 sets of cables and housing.
+ taping the new bars, + shop labor if your DIY chops are not up to the task.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 04-17-12, 02:34 PM
  #7  
Green Tea Lemonade
 
Oil_LOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Highland Park, NJ
Posts: 369
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flargle
Forget the drop bars. Get H-bars.
That's actually really good advice... if you want to avoid much of the cost, time, and frustration involved in a drop bar conversion there are some good options for alt bars that'll give you more hand positions and perhaps a more ergonomic position compared to your basic flat or riser bar.
Oil_LOL is offline  
Old 04-17-12, 05:31 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
GrayJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: EagleRiver AK
Posts: 1,307
Likes: 0
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
I am currently searching for replacement drop bars for my CX bike ( to be used for actual CX racing). I am trying to fulfill several criteria but primarily I want to find the shallowest drop bar I can get (to get the drop position closer to the flats, less crouched over so I can stay in the drop position for more time without also raising the flats). I also want fairly traditional looking rounded drops, not ergo shaped like most of salsa's offerings. Just looking for an affordable alloy bar, no expensive carbon. Lastly, I am looking for such a bar with a 26.0 clamp size, most everything new these days is 31.8mm clamp. Leading contender I have found is this soma road bar;
https://store.somafab.com/hwyonebar.html

It has 130mm of drop which is an improvement from the 145mm drop fot the bars I currently have but I would go with even less drop if I can find it (125mm or 120mm?). I might consider some outward flair but dont think I want as much as the woodchippers. I like the looks of some of the Deda RHM series bars but they seem to only come in 31.8mm clamp size. Any other suggestions for 26.0 shallop drop bar offerings I am missing?
GrayJay is offline  
Old 04-17-12, 05:37 PM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Salsa Bell Lap (get it) is what they had made for cyclocross.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 04-17-12, 06:33 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
GrayJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: EagleRiver AK
Posts: 1,307
Likes: 0
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Salsa Bell Lap (get it) is what they had made for cyclocross.
The bell laps have 144mm of drop and a goofy anotomic shape, not on my want list. I would be fine with either thier cowbell 2 or the pro road medium bars (126mm drop each) but they only come in 31.8mm clamps size and I would prefer to stay with 26.0 stem.

Last edited by GrayJay; 04-17-12 at 06:38 PM.
GrayJay is offline  
Old 04-17-12, 08:07 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
WickedThump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 522

Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flargle
Forget the drop bars. Get H-bars.
Found some on Craigs this morning. Awaiting a stem and I'll be good to go. Interesting design, I hope it works out.

OT:
This had to be the easiest Craigs purchase ever.

12:05 Left Email message with phone #
12:15 Got a return call and arranged pick-up @ 01:00 pm.
12:45 Seller got there early as I did.
12:55 Deal done

Last edited by WickedThump; 04-17-12 at 08:20 PM.
WickedThump is offline  
Old 04-17-12, 08:10 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
WickedThump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 522

Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oil_LOL
That's actually really good advice... if you want to avoid much of the cost, time, and frustration involved in a drop bar conversion there are some good options for alt bars that'll give you more hand positions and perhaps a more ergonomic position compared to your basic flat or riser bar.
Exactly right. With drops I'd have to wait until I found levers and shifters. With the H-bar I can use what's on there now.
WickedThump is offline  
Old 04-17-12, 08:13 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
WickedThump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 522

Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oil_LOL
I really suggest you try out racing. The Cat 4 field is really big, and everyone isn't able to win. There are really good racers, and really bad ones, so anyone can fit in. You won't get made fun of for being bad, maybe heckled a bit, but everyone is haha. It's a lot of fun, and I find competition a good reason to push yourself, compared to just rides by yourself. You have a real reason to train and get in better shape. That being said, do you have any specs on the Crossroads? Like, how many speeds is the rear cassette, and what model derailleurs you're using? Do you have any pics? You might have to swap out the stem, which isn't too big a hassle. If what I'm thinking is true, and the Crossroads has mountain-y geometry, you might need a shorter stem, with higher rise. You may want to go with dirt drops as well, like the Salsa Woodchipper https://salsacycles.com/components/woodchipper/. These tend to work better on a bike with mountain geometry, but standard drops can be good as well. It's all personal preference. Don't be afraid to experiment with your setup.
The cassette is 7 speed, 3 up front. The component group is Shimano 100 GS. I have a bike with Deore DX so I could swap all that over if I like this frame.
WickedThump is offline  
Old 04-18-12, 06:01 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,119
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WickedThump
Exactly right. With drops I'd have to wait until I found levers and shifters. With the H-bar I can use what's on there now.
And honestly...I've never seen a drop-bar conversion of mtb or hybrid that didn't look wrong. The frames aren't designed for drop bars.
flargle is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mymorningjacket
General Cycling Discussion
13
04-23-17 04:47 AM
The Hansenator
Bicycle Mechanics
6
03-13-14 11:37 AM
AlphaDogg
Hybrid Bicycles
9
04-25-11 10:35 AM
phillycommuter
Bicycle Mechanics
23
10-21-10 07:47 PM
Cmeej
Hybrid Bicycles
5
08-15-10 10:36 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.