Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Perfect Saddle Position

Old 08-29-12, 12:17 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perfect Saddle Position

I have a Forte saddle on my Scattante X330 and its kinda uncomfortable. Ive changed the position, and i got it more comfortable, but any exact ways to get a perfect expert fit?

Last edited by brando090; 08-29-12 at 08:14 PM.
brando090 is offline  
Old 08-29-12, 12:31 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kinda uncomfortable how? As in "sit bones are a little sore" or "my entire pelvis has gone numb?"

Keep tweaking it a few mm at a time until it's perfect. Or ride it until your rear gets used to it.
OldManRiley is offline  
Old 08-29-12, 01:32 AM
  #3  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Not Sight unseen ..

Given rough CX race courses, a little lower saddle so there is more pedal pushing work, and bike has room to move under you
while standing and putting the work into the pedals ..
1/2" shorter may do some benefit.

So less sitting down, the BMX crowd does that , racing,
(seen the Olympic BMX on TV?)
Those racers, saddle is only sat upon at the start .

HTFU, ride harder or be dropped or lapped.
*****

Saddle setback has to do with the femur length of your body.

Done the knee-over-pedal test?

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-29-12 at 10:41 AM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 08-29-12, 04:36 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
saddles take time to break in so, assuming you have it set up correctly, give it some time. Ideally, you want your sit bones on the back/widest part of the saddle with no compression on the family jewels. Some people have advocated a slight down-tilt in the saddle to help with this but I found having it level is best. If you keep trying a few positions and it's still uncomfortable, then you may have gotten the wrong saddle because it doesn't fit you correctly.
I had the same experience you are having and finally got a Specialized Romin saddle, which is a road saddle with almost no padding, but it's contoured so well, I hardly notice it's there. Even this one took a few days of riding before I got it right.
When you do get your saddle figured out - measure the distance from the stem bolt to the tip diagonally, as well as the seat height. This will give you a good reference if you ever change it again, or if you have to take it off for bike maintenance.

one last thing - don't skimp on saddles - so if this one does not work get another one but plan on spending over $100. Saddle and bike fit are the two most important factors in comfort on the bike.
ambro is offline  
Old 08-29-12, 10:03 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
telebianchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,310

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
OP -- can you give more info on how the saddle is uncomfortable? What changes have you made and how did those change make thing better (or worse)? What is your current saddle? How long have you been using it? What type of riding are you doing (road, commuting, CX racing)?

Originally Posted by ambro
one last thing - don't skimp on saddles - so if this one does not work get another one but plan on spending over $100. Saddle and bike fit are the two most important factors in comfort on the bike.
Even better is finding $100+ saddles on sale for $35-$60. I've gotten a ProLogo and two Specialized Alias saddles that way. Meaning I agree completely that you get what you pay for, but I've seen very good deals on saddles
telebianchi is offline  
Old 08-29-12, 10:11 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 2,844

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tend to recline it 90 degrees backwards from horizontal position. It is the perfect fit and eliminates sideways pelvic movement during hard strokes.
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline  
Old 08-29-12, 08:20 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by telebianchi
OP -- can you give more info on how the saddle is uncomfortable? What changes have you made and how did those change make thing better (or worse)? What is your current saddle? How long have you been using it? What type of riding are you doing (road, commuting, CX racing)?


Even better is finding $100+ saddles on sale for $35-$60. I've gotten a ProLogo and two Specialized Alias saddles that way. Meaning I agree completely that you get what you pay for, but I've seen very good deals on saddles
Updated, i have a Forte saddle. Im not doing any races, just paved and rocky trails, so its not too strenuous. Ive chanced the position several times, and each time its better and better, at one point my bone between my legs was killing. Im just coming from a Trek cruiser with a gel seat, so it's definitely going to take time to get used to whichever way of ridding. Since the bike i have is 2 years old, and the previous owner has had it at least a year, ive only had it for 3 days.

What knee test should i be doing? The bike is a 57cm, a little big, as im a little under 5'6. Do you recommend a Brooks saddle, just a mention, or what?
brando090 is offline  
Old 08-29-12, 08:33 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
I tend to recline it 90 degrees backwards from horizontal position. It is the perfect fit and eliminates sideways pelvic movement during hard strokes.
HAHA, i think that might make me squirm more on... er.... around the saddle..... to get off of it...
kmill065 is offline  
Old 08-31-12, 04:35 AM
  #9  
jwh
Senior Member
 
jwh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sagamore Hills, OH
Posts: 222

Bikes: Trek EX9.8, Cervelo S3, Eddy Mercyx Mourenx 69 disc, Intense Carbine,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brando090
Updated, i have a Forte saddle. Im not doing any races, just paved and rocky trails, so its not too strenuous. Ive chanced the position several times, and each time its better and better, at one point my bone between my legs was killing. Im just coming from a Trek cruiser with a gel seat, so it's definitely going to take time to get used to whichever way of ridding. Since the bike i have is 2 years old, and the previous owner has had it at least a year, ive only had it for 3 days.

What knee test should i be doing? The bike is a 57cm, a little big, as im a little under 5'6. Do you recommend a Brooks saddle, just a mention, or what?
I would think your bike is WAY too big for you.
jwh is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Teamprovicycle
General Cycling Discussion
18
04-14-18 02:29 PM
falconsusi
Road Cycling
11
12-02-14 07:39 PM
abby4000
Road Cycling
10
07-25-13 12:27 AM
Weizilla
Road Cycling
2
07-19-12 11:24 AM
vikz
Road Cycling
52
07-20-11 12:22 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.