Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Tamland 1 First Impressions

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Raleigh Tamland 1 First Impressions

Old 04-17-17, 07:53 PM
  #26  
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,779

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
Can somebody tell me a name or brand of the full length bag that goes under the top tube or isn't that good idea for the longer gravel riding races/rides.
Have a look at Revelate Designs.
TimothyH is offline  
Old 04-17-17, 08:32 PM
  #27  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,789

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 7,720 Times in 4,294 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
Can somebody tell me a name or brand of the full length bag that goes under the top tube or isn't that good idea for the longer gravel riding races/rides.
Frame Pack Large

The large costs $40-50. I have one, its secure, has 2 pockets, double zippers on each side.
Simple design, well made, and way less expensive than the trendy options.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 04:14 AM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: near Omaha, NE
Posts: 259

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
Can you tell me what Blackburn bag that is in the show us your grinder bike in the post 113 group AristoNYC bike. Any help would be gladly appreciated and wondering if your legs would ever rub on this under the frame bag. I have been kind of stretched to the limit on buying this bike and have wasted enough money in the road cycling end that I hope not to do now in the gravel grinding arena.

Thanks
Zman
Your Tamland has a steel frame and its tubes' diameters are smaller than an aluminum or CF framed bike. I would choose only a bag with removable Velcro straps, such as the Blackburn, so you can use your own of proper length. Some bags' straps are to long to fit optimally around a steel tube and overlap correctly. They are better suited for aluminum and CF frame tubes which are bigger.

Last edited by ckindt; 04-18-17 at 10:50 AM.
ckindt is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 08:07 AM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Jarrett2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 4,126

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
I bought this today(2016 Tamland 1 56 cm) with the Corporate discount of $799.99 and $48.00 sales tax.
What's the process for getting that price? Feel free to PM if needed.
Jarrett2 is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 10:35 AM
  #30  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 427
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
Can you please give me a brand name of the compression less brake housings.
Here is a house brand from Nashbar.

Nashbar MTB Mechanical Disc Brake Cable and Housing Set

If you want a name brand look for Jagwire.

Jagwire Road Pro Complete Cable Kit > Components > Cables & Housing > Brake Cables & Housing | Jenson USA
RockiesDad is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 04:17 PM
  #31  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
What's the process for getting that price? Feel free to PM if needed.
Jarrett2 no problem bud as I found all the info here. There is a thread under deals that lists the Raleigh new Corporate code that you have to set it.

I think it's RALEIGHUSA or it's CYCLE4TAW

You go into Raleigh's USA website and then set up that account and search for your bike. You will have to be kind of quick though as they have limited numbers of sizes. I think they only had 2 size 56 cm and not sure what size you need.

look on this forum under Ordering from Raleigh they have the link there and some info. I can't remember which one of those codes work but it will only work with the right code.

Good luck
Zman

Last edited by Zurichman2; 04-18-17 at 04:35 PM.
Zurichman2 is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 04:26 PM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
Rockies Dad since I am the newbie here to gravel grinding I really appreciate the help.

Zman
Zurichman2 is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 04:29 PM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ckindt
Your Tamland has a steel frame and its tubes' diameters are smaller than an aluminum or CF framed bike. I would choose only a bag with removable Velcro straps, such as the Blackburn, so you can use your own of proper length. Some bags' straps are to long to fit optimally around a steel tube and overlap correctly. They are better suited for aluminum and CF frame tubes which are bigger.
ckindt since again being the newbie here is there more than one model Blackburn? I see that the large is around 5 - 6 cm. Is that what size everybody is using?

Zman
Zurichman2 is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 04:40 PM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: near Omaha, NE
Posts: 259

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
ckindt since again being the newbie here is there more than one model Blackburn? I see that the large is around 5 - 6 cm. Is that what size everybody is using?

Zman
Yeah, they make many different bags.
I'm not sure what dimension or bag you're referring to that is 5 - 6 cm.
ckindt is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 04:50 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ckindt
Yeah, they make many different bags.
I'm not sure what dimension or bag you're referring to that is 5 - 6 cm.
I am either getting brain dead or brain saturated from trying to soak all this info in such a short period of time. TimothyH lsted Revelate Designs which then had their sizes listed.



Do you have the large or Medium size. Don't carry the kitchen sink on my rides somewhere in between.

I have also been trying to find some ride reports of gravel grinder races and can't seem to find any such ride reports. Am I missing something? I try to read about rides before I actually do them so I know what I am getting myself into. What do people just post pics of their bikes here? lol

Zman

Last edited by Zurichman2; 04-18-17 at 04:55 PM.
Zurichman2 is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 05:24 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: near Omaha, NE
Posts: 259

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
I am either getting brain dead or brain saturated from trying to soak all this info in such a short period of time. TimothyH lsted Revelate Designs which then had their sizes listed.



Do you have the large or Medium size. Don't carry the kitchen sink on my rides somewhere in between.

I have also been trying to find some ride reports of gravel grinder races and can't seem to find any such ride reports. Am I missing something? I try to read about rides before I actually do them so I know what I am getting myself into. What do people just post pics of their bikes here? lol

Zman
I have the large size. For reference, you can see it on my 62cm Stuntman here.

It holds a lot and I don't use the expansion feature. It'll hold plenty of tools and supplies to support a 100-miler and then some.
There's a little hole covered by a flap to pass a tube for a hydration pack through. That's so you can forget about your water bottles and cages if you expand it and need another solution.
ckindt is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 05:44 PM
  #37  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ckindt
I have the large size. For reference, you can see it on my 62cm Stuntman here.

It holds a lot and I don't use the expansion feature. It'll hold plenty of tools and supplies to support a 100-miler and then some.
There's a little hole covered by a flap to pass a tube for a hydration pack through. That's so you can forget about your water bottles and cages if you expand it and need another solution.
Ok thanks for that info. Sweet looking bike. I am a visual guy. Is that a Brooks saddle on your bike or something else. I also noticed that you have a short bottle in the rear. Is that because there isn't enough room for the longer bottle, or do you just have a short bottle in there? Since this is all new to me. What kind of tools and things would you car on a 100 miler other than say tire boot, extra tubes some kind of inflation method and some kind of jacket etc. That is what I would carry on a long distance rando ride.

Thanks again
Zman
Zurichman2 is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 06:02 PM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: near Omaha, NE
Posts: 259

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
Ok thanks for that info. Sweet looking bike. I am a visual guy. Is that a Brooks saddle on your bike or something else. I also noticed that you have a short bottle in the rear. Is that because there isn't enough room for the longer bottle, or do you just have a short bottle in there? Since this is all new to me. What kind of tools and things would you car on a 100 miler other than say tire boot, extra tubes some kind of inflation method and some kind of jacket etc. That is what I would carry on a long distance rando ride.

Thanks again
Zman
Thanks. Yes, it's a Brooks Cambium C17. I did put the short bottle in to make room for the bag. In addition to the tools you mention, I carry a 3,4,5 and 6 mm hex wrench, two rags, a presta-to-schrader adapter and pepper spray. Depending on the weather, I may bring a jacket and long pants. I bring food for any ride over 20 miles.
ckindt is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 06:08 PM
  #39  
Full Member
 
Joeyseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Northwest
Posts: 416

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
What's the process for getting that price? Feel free to PM if needed.
The Raleigh sale started around 11/16.
This code should work. CYCLE4TAW.
Looks like the 2016 Tamland is sold out in both models.But try live chat,as Raleigh changed their website recently.
The 2017 Stuntman sale price drop another $200 to $1300 since the sale started.

Added:I missed post #31.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...-bicycles.html

Last edited by Joeyseven; 04-19-17 at 12:01 AM.
Joeyseven is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 06:13 PM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven
The Raleigh sale started around 11/16.
This code should work. CYCLE4TAW.
Looks like the 2016 Tamland is sold out in both models.But try live chat,as Raleigh changed their website recently.
The 2017 Stuntman sale price drop another $200 to $1300 since the sale started.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...-bicycles.html
Joeyseven thanks for the info but I think the new code is RALEIGHUSA. They had had 2 56cm Tamland 1's last night of which i bought one.

Zman
Zurichman2 is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 06:17 PM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ckindt
Thanks. Yes, it's a Brooks Cambium C17. I did put the short bottle in to make room for the bag. In addition to the tools you mention, I carry a 3,4,5 and 6 mm hex wrench, two rags, a presta-to-schrader adapter and pepper spray. Depending on the weather, I may bring a jacket and long pants. I bring food for any ride over 20 miles.
So I don't know if you can answer this question or not. How much smaller is the medium? If you bought the medium do you think you could use the regular size water bottle then? How much room do you have left in your bag when you have what you listed in your bag?

Zman
Zurichman2 is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 06:30 PM
  #42  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: near Omaha, NE
Posts: 259

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
So I don't know if you can answer this question or not. How much smaller is the medium? If you bought the medium do you think you could use the regular size water bottle then? How much room do you have left in your bag when you have what you listed in your bag?

Zman
The medium is at least 2" shorter. I could fit a larger bottle if I had the smaller sized bag. Everything listed would probably fill it, but that's without it expanded and a very light weight jacket and pants.

Medium



Large
ckindt is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 07:06 PM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for all this info I really appreciate it. Looks like the large is the one I want. My bike is to have 3 water bottle bosses for it. I might want to wait until I get my bike to see how that set up is. I would say I guess I am old school yet so I don't use Camelbaks do you?

Zman
Zurichman2 is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 07:25 PM
  #44  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: near Omaha, NE
Posts: 259

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
Thanks for all this info I really appreciate it. Looks like the large is the one I want. My bike is to have 3 water bottle bosses for it. I might want to wait until I get my bike to see how that set up is. I would say I guess I am old school yet so I don't use Camelbaks do you?

Zman
yeah, I'd say I'm old school too. I never considered a hydration pack either. I've always used bottles.
ckindt is offline  
Old 04-25-17, 10:25 AM
  #45  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
I have the same brakes and agree that they are pretty nice. Hydros are a bit nicer but overall these aren't too bad. One thing you might want do is to use compressionless brake housings. These flex less and therefore would tighten up the pull a bit especially in the rear. Pretty cheap upgrade too...
RockiesDad or others. I will be the first to admit I am not a bike mechanic and so let the LBS work/repair/fix my bikes. So I did buy the compression less brake housings. If I am looking at it right I would have to get them to unwrap the factory installed handlebar tape to install the new housings. I am not sure I want to get that done and might wait until that bar tape wears out. Thoughts on that?

I read over on another thread(ordering from Raleigh) some of the issues other people had with their bikes using the Raleigh discount code. It looks like the bike could be seconds that they couldn't sell as a new bike. My bike really looks great except it has a small scratch on the ring that tightens the seat stem post. I am OK with that for the $500 savings as sooner or later this bike is going to get some scratches on her. I probably could also get Raleigh to send me a new ring.

I already have her named.

Tammy Lane I hope to be her Clark Kent on some gravel grinder races.

Zman
Zurichman2 is offline  
Old 04-25-17, 01:29 PM
  #46  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,789

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 7,720 Times in 4,294 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
RockiesDad or others. I will be the first to admit I am not a bike mechanic and so let the LBS work/repair/fix my bikes. So I did buy the compression less brake housings. If I am looking at it right I would have to get them to unwrap the factory installed handlebar tape to install the new housings. I am not sure I want to get that done and might wait until that bar tape wears out. Thoughts on that?
Its bar tape- if whats currently on there cant be reused due to tearing, they can just put some replacement tape on. If you bring it to them, itll cost what the tape costs you(between $3 and $40 depending on quality and where you buy it). If you buy it from the shop, itll cost whatever they have in the shop(usually $15-40).
If thats a deal breaker, then wait until your tape needs to be replaced. Thatll be in 1-3 years depending on how hard you are on tape and how much you ride.



Originally Posted by Zurichman2
I read over on another thread(ordering from Raleigh) some of the issues other people had with their bikes using the Raleigh discount code. It looks like the bike could be seconds that they couldn't sell as a new bike. My bike really looks great except it has a small scratch on the ring that tightens the seat stem post. I am OK with that for the $500 savings as sooner or later this bike is going to get some scratches on her. I probably could also get Raleigh to send me a new ring.
I havent heard that the bikes available online are 'seconds'. I have assembled 3 Diamondback bikes and 2 Raleigh bikes(the same parent company owns both) in the last year for friends and all 5 bikes came from the same trade location(forget the exact term) in China and also came from the same holding warehouse in Ohio.
All were new in every way possible. All were impeccably packed for transport. All arrived without damage.

Interesting that others suspect they are old/used bikes...do you have a link to the conversation where it is suspected the bikes arent new?
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 04-25-17, 02:20 PM
  #47  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its bar tape- if whats currently on there cant be reused due to tearing, they can just put some replacement tape on. If you bring it to them, itll cost what the tape costs you(between $3 and $40 depending on quality and where you buy it). If you buy it from the shop, itll cost whatever they have in the shop(usually $15-40).
If thats a deal breaker, then wait until your tape needs to be replaced. Thatll be in 1-3 years depending on how hard you are on tape and how much you ride.





I havent heard that the bikes available online are 'seconds'. I have assembled 3 Diamondback bikes and 2 Raleigh bikes(the same parent company owns both) in the last year for friends and all 5 bikes came from the same trade location(forget the exact term) in China and also came from the same holding warehouse in Ohio.
All were new in every way possible. All were impeccably packed for transport. All arrived without damage.

Interesting that others suspect they are old/used bikes...do you have a link to the conversation where it is suspected the bikes arent new?

Yeah it's over on the Questions on buying from Raleigh. It was by Zimdba and might just ber an isolated case as he is the only one posting that info. I don't think they are used just maybe not 100% as one OP said that he could see where the rub marks where when the bike was put back in the box again and some had loose or bent parts. Don't get me wrong I am happy as kittens with the bike just a little bit stretched budget wise with the bike purchase and a $150 Sigma computer and have to buy an under the frame Blackburn tube bag and some other goodies. I might try the bike out first and see if the rear brake is an issue for me before I get the compression less housings on the bike.

Last edited by Zurichman2; 04-25-17 at 02:27 PM.
Zurichman2 is offline  
Old 05-03-17, 07:58 PM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
There's a 56cm 2016 Tamland 1 (the red and black one) thru Raleigh's corp deal for $799, just a heads up for you.
I finally picked this up from my Raleigh LBS tonight as I had no clue on how to put the front disk brake caliber on or how to get it adjusted. He actually had to take it apart and put 2 shims on it to work right. I will be the 1st to admit I am not a techy guy so it was worth him to set up the new Sigma BC 23.16 STS which I had to buy at a Sport Shop in the Netherlands because it's not available here in the States yet. It came in 5 days. I can't wait to go out and ride it tomorrow.

Zman
Zurichman2 is offline  
Old 05-04-17, 07:38 AM
  #49  
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,831
Liked 698 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Zurichman2
I finally picked this up from my Raleigh LBS tonight as I had no clue on how to put the front disk brake caliber on or how to get it adjusted. He actually had to take it apart and put 2 shims on it to work right. I will be the 1st to admit I am not a techy guy so it was worth him to set up the new Sigma BC 23.16 STS which I had to buy at a Sport Shop in the Netherlands because it's not available here in the States yet. It came in 5 days. I can't wait to go out and ride it tomorrow.

Zman
Congrats, can't wait to hear your ride report.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 05-04-17, 07:40 PM
  #50  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Congrats, can't wait to hear your ride report.

shoota my ride report

The good the bad and the ugly or really the good and the bad as there really is no ugly of this bike.

The only thing I added to this stock bike was Shimano SPD Pedals model PD-M959 and a kind of sagging Brooks Waterford split in the middle saddle.

The Good

I live real close to the mt. So an 9 mile ride out until I hit the mt. On the way there the bike picks up lots of speed on the downhills because of the weight of the bike. I am @ 6 ft. and 200 lbs. The bike really tracks well an is responsive when you stand up on the bike because of the wider tires and I am guessing the front fork setup. It is also smooth as silk on the road. Something I didn't really notice until my 2 mile cool down ride. With the wide tire on this bike you can ride this bike very easily 1 handed. On a road bike it's twitching and you can't ride it very long one handed.

The Bad

So I am climbing the mt. now. It's around a 3 mile climb @ 5-8% grade the entire time. I am 6 ft. and 200 lbs. right now and on my triple Lemond Victoirre when we start climbing with most riders around me I am in the lead. This bike with the weight it was took all I could do today to climb that mountain. All I had on the bike was 2 water bottles and a mini pump no bags/tools/etc IMHO the bike is a sweet bike but it sure would be a better climber if it was about 2 lbs lighter or so. I had to stop 2-3 times on the climb for photo shoots of the new bike don't you know. The road was packed limestone and some places sandstone with washboard ruts. The bike had plenty of brakes for the descent. As rutty as it was the bike had more guts than I did on the way down.

Zman
Zurichman2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.