Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocross-gravelbiking-recreational/)
-   -   Introducing Victor von Frankenbike - my gravel grinder. (https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocross-gravelbiking-recreational/990700-introducing-victor-von-frankenbike-my-gravel-grinder.html)

s0ul_chicken 01-21-15 06:05 PM

Introducing Victor von Frankenbike - my gravel grinder.
 
Born from a 1977 Nishiki, this bike was torn down to the frame and powdercoated satin black. I took off most of the components, and replaced them with more modern MTB upgrades. Cranks, RD, pedals, stem, bars, tires, brake levers, cables, cable housings, indexed freewheel and shifter are all now up to date, and all I am waiting on is the new saddle.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7559/...b7a2d131_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8584/...b9e85e89_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7476/...6bb405d9_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7572/...a3f44f1d_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7488/...1999a311_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8680/...80d85070_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7472/...9d7e59a0_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7545/...87e1023c_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7469/...25ddeaa4_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8613/...88ddc2f3_b.jpg

Barrettscv 01-21-15 07:01 PM

Really impressive!

What tires are fitted? How does it ride?

azgreg 01-21-15 08:49 PM

Very nice. Me likey.

knobster 01-21-15 11:50 PM

Love to see people repurpose old bikes like that. You did a great job!

gamby 01-22-15 01:21 AM

Gorgeous build. Overall look is fantastic. I like the platform pedals, too. I'm considered weird because I run platforms on my CX bike.

Kinda surprised to see you keep the original singlewall (steel?) wheels, though.

The 1x5 setup is great. It's like a singlespeed with a bit of forgiveness built in. :lol:

bgav 01-22-15 05:39 AM

Nicely done! Painted lug outlines in contrasting color is a nice touch. Which saddle are you going with?

jwgd 01-22-15 06:04 AM

What derailleur/shifter did you mate to the 5-speed freewheel? If the indexing works well, this would be a good solution for a similar project I have. Thanks.

s0ul_chicken 01-22-15 09:11 AM


Originally Posted by Barrettscv (Post 17489205)
Really impressive!

What tires are fitted? How does it ride?

Thanks Barrettscv - I used Club Roost Cross Terra Tire 27x1-3/8" Black Steel tires. I have only been around the block once, the fit is a bit off, but I really love the way this thing rolls. This weekend the Mrs. and I will be at the park to go for a ride.


Originally Posted by azgreg (Post 17489472)
Very nice. Me likey.

Thank you azgreg!


Originally Posted by knobster (Post 17489803)
Love to see people repurpose old bikes like that. You did a great job!

Thank you knobster!


Originally Posted by gamby (Post 17489869)
Gorgeous build. Overall look is fantastic. I like the platform pedals, too. I'm considered weird because I run platforms on my CX bike.

Kinda surprised to see you keep the original singlewall (steel?) wheels, though.

The 1x5 setup is great. It's like a singlespeed with a bit of forgiveness built in. :lol:

I kept the steel just for the chrome look - the sun is out today, so I should be able to get a better picture of how nice this bike is. Another reason, budget restraints. The BlackSpire chainring was a steal at 17 bucks, a demo ring that was never mounted and the salesman didn't need it anymore. I was looking for a 44T, but I couldn't pass up the deal. This is going to be a park trail bike, so I am not looking for too much speed anyway.


Originally Posted by bgav (Post 17489991)
Nicely done! Painted lug outlines in contrasting color is a nice touch. Which saddle are you going with?

Thank you bgav - I am going with a Brooks B67 in black of course!


Originally Posted by jwgd (Post 17490015)
What derailleur/shifter did you mate to the 5-speed freewheel? If the indexing works well, this would be a good solution for a similar project I have. Thanks.

I ended up using the SRAM X3 shifter, and RD from my Revel II - it isn't pretty, nor ideal by any means, but it works for the time being. It is actually a seven speed shifter and RD, so I had to use a longer limit screw to keep it in range.

Maybelater 01-22-15 09:21 AM

Very nice!...The pin striping around the frame lugs is a nice touch.

s0ul_chicken 01-22-15 09:23 AM


Originally Posted by Maybelater (Post 17490375)
Very nice!...The pin striping around the frame lugs is a nice touch.

Thank you Maybelater!

ThermionicScott 01-23-15 05:25 PM

I like it! Very classy build. The cranks look way better with the anodizing/paint/logos removed and polished. :thumb:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.