Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electric Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/)
-   -   Best Way to Lube a Mid-Drive Bike Chain? (https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/1047487-best-way-lube-mid-drive-bike-chain.html)

Arcanum 02-04-16 05:36 PM

Best Way to Lube a Mid-Drive Bike Chain?
 
I just took the chain off my BBSHD-powered fat bike to clean it, and realized that not being able to run the chain backwards is going to make re-lubing it more difficult.

Two obvious methods come to mind:
1) Lift the rear wheel off the ground, run the chain forward, and dribble lube into the chain as it goes through the chain wheels.

2) Painstakingly lubricate it off the bike, then reinstall it.

Does anyone have a recommended way to do this?

corrado33 02-04-16 05:53 PM


Originally Posted by Arcanum (Post 18512555)
I just took the chain off my BBSHD-powered fat bike to clean it, and realized that not being able to run the chain backwards is going to make re-lubing it more difficult.

Two obvious methods come to mind:
1) Lift the rear wheel off the ground, run the chain forward, and dribble lube into the chain as it goes through the chain wheels.

2) Painstakingly lubricate it off the bike, then reinstall it.

Does anyone have a recommended way to do this?

Lift bike. Pedal, lube. May require two people. Alternatively flip the bike upside down (although everyone here will frown on that.) If you do flip the bike make sure you lube the "upper" part of the chain (when the bike is right side up.) Basically you want to push the dirt OUT of the chain, not INTO the chain.

Arcanum 02-04-16 06:01 PM


Originally Posted by corrado33 (Post 18512595)
Lift bike. Pedal, lube. May require two people. Alternatively flip the bike upside down (although everyone here will frown on that.) If you do flip the bike make sure you lube the "upper" part of the chain (when the bike is right side up.) Basically you want to push the dirt OUT of the chain, not INTO the chain.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks. The ultrosonic cleaner does a pretty good job getting the chain clean, but I'll still probably do the former option.

BBSHD feature request: A way to make it run slowly in reverse. :)

corrado33 02-04-16 06:04 PM


Originally Posted by Arcanum (Post 18512616)
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks. The ultrosonic cleaner does a pretty good job getting the chain clean, but I'll still probably do the former option.

BBSHD feature request: A way to make it run slowly in reverse. :)

Well if you're already taking the chain off of the bike then just lube it while it's off!

NoPhart 02-05-16 07:23 AM

I just lean my BBS02 bike against something to stand it up, then sit on the ground and brush off any dirt and grim on the chain ring, chain and cassette while moving the chain by hand using the cassette in reverse. Once the surface dirt is gone, I lube the chain on the top and bottom using White Lightening (great stuff, not greasy, sheds dirt) moving the chain by the cassette in reverse once again.

Of course the best and easiest way to do it is with a bike stand. Walmart has a flip-down bike holder that mounts to the wall for about $12 that supports 50lbs.

Arcanum 02-05-16 10:39 AM

I ended up lubing while the chain was off. I have a stand that will support the bike, but without a garage or first-floor workshop I don't any any great place to set it up. I can use it in the kitchen if I need to, but I try to avoid it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.