Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-18, 07:58 AM   #51
KraneXL
Senior Member
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South California
Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
More specifically, pedestrians are surprised by the cyclist proximity, as mentioned previously. Waiting until you get to within arms length of someone will almost always surprise them and cause them to react unpredictably. Its worse than not ringing the bell at all.

A better method would be to begin ringing your bell at a distance, and continue until you get some type of acknowledgement (typically a movement to the right) that they know you are approaching to pass.
KraneXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 10:26 PM   #52
Numerozero
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What If Majority Are 鼎heating

Rode my e-bike today to buy groceries. When I came out there were four cyclists (including me) with three e-bikes. Nobody mentioned anything about 田heating 😀
Numerozero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-18, 10:00 AM   #53
Dewey101
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Arlington, VA
Bikes: '73 Raleigh Sports; '95 Dawes Synthesis converted to ebike
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
It's not cheating if you're not competing, but if it helps there are a couple of exercise studies comparing METs expended during normal cycling with riding a Class 1 pedelec type of ebike :

Berntsen, S., Malnes, L., Lang虧er, A., & Bere, E. (2017). Physical activity when riding an electric assisted bicycle. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 14:55. doi: 10.1186/s12966-017-0513-z

Peterman, J., Morris, K., Kram, R., Byrnes, W., Peterman, J. E., Morris, K. L., & Byrnes, W. C. (2016). Pedelecs as a physically active transportation mode. European Journal Of Applied Physiology, 116(8), 1565-1573. doi: 10.1007/s00421-016-3408-9
Dewey101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-18, 11:39 AM   #54
KraneXL
Senior Member
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South California
Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Entertainment purposes only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey101 View Post
It's not cheating if you're not competing, but if it helps there are a couple of exercise studies comparing METs expended during normal cycling with riding a Class 1 pedelec type of ebike :

Berntsen, S., Malnes, L., Lang虧er, A., & Bere, E. (2017). Physical activity when riding an electric assisted bicycle. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 14:55. doi: 10.1186/s12966-017-0513-z

Peterman, J., Morris, K., Kram, R., Byrnes, W., Peterman, J. E., Morris, K. L., & Byrnes, W. C. (2016). Pedelecs as a physically active transportation mode. European Journal Of Applied Physiology, 116(8), 1565-1573. doi: 10.1007/s00421-016-3408-9
Just don't call it cycling.
KraneXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-18, 12:54 PM   #55
winston63 
Senior Member
 
winston63's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Bikes: Kona Jake the Snake, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I'm seeing a growing number of electric assist bikes on my commute. It used to be a very occasional sighting, but I'd guess that 10-15% of the traffic I see on our MUPs during commuting hours are now e-bikes of some sort.

I think it's pretty cool if people are transitioning from driving a car to getting around on an e-bike and I don't see this as "cheating" any more than any other form of transport. And it's good to know from those studies up thread that there is some physical benefit here.

I'd guess that riding one also provides that same mental boost that one gets from riding a regular bike, so I see this as a win all round.

My one concern is that a few of the riders are going too fast for conditions, particularly on the trails with lots of other users. In fairness, there's the odd roadie dork who's also confused the MUP with their personal training route, but at least most of those have half decent riding skills.
winston63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-18, 12:32 PM   #56
Lurch
Fossil
 
Lurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: Bianchi Bergamo, Raleigh Misceo
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You are riding a motorcycle or at best a moped.
Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-18, 03:19 PM   #57
KraneXL
Senior Member
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South California
Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston63 View Post
I'm seeing a growing number of electric assist bikes on my commute. It used to be a very occasional sighting, but I'd guess that 10-15% of the traffic I see on our MUPs during commuting hours are now e-bikes of some sort.

I think it's pretty cool if people are transitioning from driving a car to getting around on an e-bike and I don't see this as "cheating" any more than any other form of transport. And it's good to know from those studies up thread that there is some physical benefit here.
That's because you're judging it as alternate transportation and not as sport/exercise.
Quote:

I'd guess that riding one also provides that same mental boost that one gets from riding a regular bike, so I see this as a win all round.
Its like doing pullups on a weight assisted machines. You're getting some exercise. But just because you can do 10 of them, doesn't mean you can do 10 pullups.
Quote:

My one concern is that a few of the riders are going too fast for conditions, particularly on the trails with lots of other users. In fairness, there's the odd roadie dork who's also confused the MUP with their personal training route, but at least most of those have half decent riding skills.
Now you're getting the picture. Trails weren't designed for this, and sometimes the mixture can make riding potentially more hazardous, especially when mixed with conventional bikes.
KraneXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-18, 05:26 PM   #58
angerdan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany
Bikes:
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
You are riding a motorcycle or at best a moped.
No, pedelecs just give pedal assist, so without pedal force no motor assist. But without motor assist you can still use it as bicycle.
angerdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 04:58 PM   #59
CharlieFree
Senior Member
 
CharlieFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Bikes:
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Just don't call it cycling.
you've lost that battle. Names are just semantics here (you could technically argue that electric shifting isn't "cycling" since it's assisting). Every year more and more floor space is devoted to electric assist bikes at bike shops (not motorcycle shops or moped shops). I've had conversations with owners and they see it an opportunity to get people off their couches and out of their cars. Which I agree with. Cyclists do themselves a disservice for advocacy if they nitpick about road vs. cyclocross vs. mountain biking vs. fatbikes vs. ebikes etc.etc.
CharlieFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 05:17 PM   #60
KraneXL
Senior Member
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South California
Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieFree View Post
you've lost that battle. Names are just semantics here (you could technically argue that electric shifting isn't "cycling" since it's assisting). Every year more and more floor space is devoted to electric assist bikes at bike shops (not motorcycle shops or moped shops). I've had conversations with owners and they see it an opportunity to get people off their couches and out of their cars. Which I agree with.
In fact, they do it to remain solvent. Like Porsche needing to add an SUV to its once all sports car line. It would not have survived otherwise. That's why bike shops nowadays are more like sport shops.
Quote:
Cyclists do themselves a disservice for advocacy if they nitpick about road vs. cyclocross vs. mountain biking vs. fatbikes vs. ebikes etc.etc.
Not an appropriate parallel since all of the aforementioned bikes all requires 100% human power to move. Your ebike does not.
KraneXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-18, 08:37 AM   #61
angerdan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany
Bikes:
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Not an appropriate parallel since all of the aforementioned bikes all requires 100% human power to move. Your ebike does not.
If somebody want to, he can drive an pedelec 100% muscle powered. But the higher weight makes it even more exhausting
So an pedelec is an hybrid bicycle, which can be muscle powered from 33-100%.
angerdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-18, 11:26 AM   #62
KraneXL
Senior Member
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South California
Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerdan View Post
If somebody want to, he can drive an pedelec 100% muscle powered. But the higher weight makes it even more exhausting
So an pedelec is an hybrid bicycle, which can be muscle powered from 33-100%.
KraneXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-18, 03:14 PM   #63
MikeyMK
Cycleway town
 
MikeyMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Bikes: 1.9kw GT LTS-3, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
What's more, some, including mine, have regeneration over their set cruise speed - if I'm in speed-1 the motor is resisting over 20mph and charging the batteries, which is also charging my phone. So that's my legs working to do more than merely push a bike.
MikeyMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-18, 03:19 PM   #64
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 32,510
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4144 Post(s)
Use the powered cart in the grocery store too?
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-18, 06:58 PM   #65
RostHaus
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Meh I find my ebike conversions one of the best purchases I've ever made.
Reasons:
-Sweat free commuting. 6 months out of the year its 85F+
-Regularly loaded with an extra 50 lb in my panniers
-Surrounded by steep hills
-Lack of bicycle infrastructure in a large city, The ability to quickly get out of the way of the cars in traffic is a huge plus.

I have about 3,000 trouble free miles on mine; and would probably never go back to a non electric for commuting/errand running.
I'd probably replace of one of my cars if I could find a Bullit Bakfiet to convert.

Its a happy medium between a bicycle and silent scooter.

For me its more about staying out of my cars as much as possible and not getting run over while doing it.
RostHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-18, 09:53 PM   #66
KraneXL
Senior Member
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South California
Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RostHaus View Post
Meh I find my ebike conversions one of the best purchases I've ever made.
Reasons:
-Sweat free commuting. 6 months out of the year its 85F+
-Regularly loaded with an extra 50 lb in my panniers
-Surrounded by steep hills
-Lack of bicycle infrastructure in a large city, The ability to quickly get out of the way of the cars in traffic is a huge plus.

I have about 3,000 trouble free miles on mine; and would probably never go back to a non electric for commuting/errand running.
I'd probably replace of one of my cars if I could find a Bullit Bakfiet to convert.

Its a happy medium between a bicycle and silent scooter.

For me its more about staying out of my cars as much as possible and not getting run over while doing it.
And there end lies the crux of my argument: the predominate distinction between cyclist and e-bike rider.
KraneXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-18, 05:33 AM   #67
powell
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Western Canada
Bikes: E+ kit, BIONX
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
this "distinction" is blurred and depends on interpretetion.
powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-18, 03:03 AM   #68
angerdan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany
Bikes:
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
And there end lies the crux of my argument: the predominate distinction between cyclist and e-bike rider.
You're talking about ebikes, i'm about pedelecs. Thats the first difference to learn.
angerdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-18, 04:45 AM   #69
KraneXL
Senior Member
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South California
Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerdan View Post
You're talking about ebikes, i'm about pedelecs. Thats the first difference to learn.
Well you presented a headline with no story. Allow me:

Pedelecs are bicycles augmented by electric motors where you MUST pedal to make them work.
E-bikes can be pedal assist, but can also operate 100% on electric power ALONE with no pedaling needed.

The "e-bike" are in fact nothing more than a 2000s version mopeds with an electric motor to replace the petrol version. Like the moped before it, its a pretend bike since nobody ever actually pedaled a moped. E-bike = electric mopeds.


Look familiar?



Circa 1901
KraneXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-18, 02:52 PM   #70
angerdan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany
Bikes:
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
exactly
angerdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:25 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION