Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electric Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/)
-   -   Causes Of Corrosion And Rust Of E-bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/1245088-causes-corrosion-rust-e-bike.html)

AOSTIRMOTOR 01-13-22 02:35 AM

Causes Of Corrosion And Rust Of E-bike
 
Rust or corrosion can shorten the lifespan of many e-bikes. While rust is limited to iron or its alloys (like steel), corrosion affects all metals, even aluminum. Left unchecked, these enemies will cause the metal to degrade over time and eventually fail.

1. Ride on beaches, coastal areas, or areas treated with road salt or deicer. Doing so exposes your e-bike to very corrosive salts (or other chemicals). Contact with salt water or de-icing compounds can cause permanent and irreversible damage to electronic components.

2. Leave the e-bike outdoors for a long time or even in the rain. Moisture is a catalyst for rust or corrosion, so it is never a good idea to leave your e-bike outside where condensation, rain, or snow is likely to occur.

3. E-bikes that have not been cleaned for a long time. Dirt and sweat left on an e-bike for long periods of time can cause rust or corrosion. Sweat can erode the clear coat on the frame, and dirt can damage the drivetrain and suspension.

late 01-13-22 01:31 PM

You can forget about most of that with an Alu frame.

Which I think is the best choice for most.I'm terrible about cleaning. Mostly I just don't do it.

Doc_Wui 01-13-22 02:59 PM

Cause of rust is using cheap chrome plated steel fasteners, plated steel handlebars. etc. These will rust overnight after a ride thru salt spray.

A nice bike has alloy seat posts, handlebars, steerer, steerer, rims, stainless spokes, hydraulic brakes, instead of steel cables. Sometimes, a steel frame works better on certain bikes,

AOSTIRMOTOR 01-13-22 07:02 PM


Originally Posted by late (Post 22372675)
You can forget about most of that with an Alu frame.

Which I think is the best choice for most.I'm terrible about cleaning. Mostly I just don't do it.

Thank you very much for your reply. You are right, this is indeed a good option for most people.

AOSTIRMOTOR 01-13-22 07:09 PM


Originally Posted by Doc_Wui (Post 22372796)
Cause of rust is using cheap chrome plated steel fasteners, plated steel handlebars. etc. These will rust overnight after a ride thru salt spray.

A nice bike has alloy seat posts, handlebars, steerer, steerer, rims, stainless spokes, hydraulic brakes, instead of steel cables. Sometimes, a steel frame works better on certain bikes,

Thank you very much for your reply. I agree with your point of view. Yes, the use of cheap chrome-plated steel fasteners, steel-plated handlebars, etc. is indeed one of the causes of rust, but corrosion is not limited to iron or its alloys

Bike Tourist 01-20-22 01:59 PM

Aluminum frame, infrequent rainfall, living in California's Central Valley, high summertime heat. I'm not worried about corrosion. I do have to be a little protective of my own frame, however.:speedy:

AOSTIRMOTOR 01-20-22 07:19 PM


Originally Posted by Bike Tourist (Post 22381287)
Aluminum frame, infrequent rainfall, living in California's Central Valley, high summertime heat. I'm not worried about corrosion. I do have to be a little protective of my own frame, however.:speedy:

Thank you for your reply. This is a good choice.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.