Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electric Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/)
-   -   Ebikes and rain/storms/snow (https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/679220-ebikes-rain-storms-snow.html)

Zero_Enigma 09-10-10 03:56 PM

Ebikes and rain/storms/snow
 
I would like to know how well your bikes handle rain/storms/snow. I'm thinking of getting an ebike and using it daily even in rain and locking it up for like 4-6hrs if I go to school so that would mean 4-6hrs of weathering on it. I'm worried about short outs and the general 'don't mix electricity with water' thing.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Especially from long time ebike riders that day to day it. Feedback from Toronto would also help as I'm from here.

electrik 09-10-10 04:04 PM

Scooter style? Garbage in winter - wheels to small. NiMH battery outside in winter for 6hrs? Garbage in winter - prepare to lose 50% and onwards of your charge.

Zero_Enigma 09-10-10 04:10 PM

Ok so what about not using it in the winter but how about the rain and heavy storms being out on the bike rack for 4-6 hrs or while riding it? I'm not sure if the ebikes will short out or such.

electrik 09-10-10 04:54 PM


Originally Posted by Zero_Enigma (Post 11443614)
Ok so what about not using it in the winter but how about the rain and heavy storms being out on the bike rack for 4-6 hrs or while riding it? I'm not sure if the ebikes will short out or such.

Unknown how well it's sealed or how the seals hold up.

BorrowedChaos 09-11-10 12:46 AM

You could always just get a bike cover or cover it in a tarp for rain/heavy storms. I am sure more people could help you if you specified what kind of ebike.

Zero_Enigma 09-11-10 04:27 PM


Originally Posted by BorrowedChaos (Post 11445639)
You could always just get a bike cover or cover it in a tarp for rain/heavy storms. I am sure more people could help you if you specified what kind of ebike.

I don't any ebikes or have used any before but just asking more in general or if people can give thier model/make and their experiences. I'm not sure about the covering of the bike. There are some campus idiots or idiots in general that think it's fun to take covers off things to ruin things for people.

electrik 09-11-10 04:37 PM


Originally Posted by Zero_Enigma (Post 11447870)
I don't any ebikes or have used any before but just asking more in general or if people can give thier model/make and their experiences. I'm not sure about the covering of the bike. There are some campus idiots or idiots in general that think it's fun to take covers off things to ruin things for people.

Unless you're somehow disabled, I would just suggest riding a standard bicycle, bike pirates has cheap ones. The added bonus is pedaling keeps you warm in the winter and rain.

JerryTheSpinner 09-15-10 09:33 AM

I rode last winter with the equivalent of http://www.currietech.com/currie-technologies-izip-via-lento-for-men-electric-bike.php. I put studded tires on the wheels. Even though Currie does not recommend riding in wet weather I had no problem. I did find you will get around half the battery life in the cold weather then when it is warm. You will need to take the batteries in and not leave it outside when you park your bicycle.

I have upgraded my bicycle to a http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/electric_bikes/ride_plus/fxplus/
With the Trek FX+ you can ride in wet weather and unlike Currie which they don not recommend using it below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The Trek FX+ battery can be used up t0 14 degrees Fahrenheit. Trek is running some specials so you might be able to get one for half the cost.


miro13car 09-15-10 12:21 PM

I ride my Tidal fORCE in rain, storm , blizzard, below zero all winter.Problem is ice on the pathway /I avoid riding with cars by all means/ , not my Tforce.
Opened motor at around 10,000km , no speck of rust inside.
My battery pack is cusom made by mayself, completely rain proof. all wires enter from THE BOTTOM, or drip loops before entering .
I repacked LiFePo chemistry HPS pack from LifeBatt 10Ah, 36V grey cells made in Taiwan/means quality/.
After 3 summers and 2 winters cells do not show any detetarioration in performance.
E+ ebike is improved version of TForce, made in USA makes all the difference.
MC

miro13car 09-15-10 12:24 PM

BTW , leaving ebike outside locked or no with no supervision is asking for trouble.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:28 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.