Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-17, 07:25 PM   #1
SylvainG 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ottawa,ON,Canada
Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Garmin VivoActive HR do not like the cold

So this morning I rode at -2C and like I do usually, I put my VivoActive HR on its holder on my handlebar to get a better view of the cadence than on my wrist. This morning, after about 6 minutes, the watch shutdown. I turned it back on and it shutdown again after a few seconds. Tried again and it behave the same way. So I kept it off. This afternoon at 0C, same thing happened. So I took the watch off its holder and put it back on my wrist. Waited about 5 minutes to turn it back on. Stayed on and worked the remaining of my ride. Conclusion, the watch doesn't like the cold...
SylvainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 09:27 AM   #2
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Well you were right there near the bottom of their operating range in the specs. -4C to 50C.
Iride01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 11:06 AM   #3
SylvainG 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ottawa,ON,Canada
Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
Well you were right there near the bottom of their operating range in the specs. -4C to 50C.
Don't know where you got that -4C (unless you meant -4F?) because in the manual, they say the operational temperature is -20C to 45C. Battery was less than 25%. I'll try again with the battery at over 50% charge and see what happens...

SylvainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 11:21 AM   #4
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvainG View Post
Don't know where you got that -4C (unless you meant -4F?) because in the manual, they say the operational temperature is -20C to 45C. Battery was less than 25%. I'll try again with the battery at over 50% charge and see what happens...

Yep.... I goofed. Shouldn't post before I've had all my coffee. Too much to do, to little time to read the facts even when they were printed out in my native language right before me.

Another thought I'd had is maybe the temp in the spec is ambient air temp and not device temp. So normal operating conditions which might include wearing it on your wrist as intended, therefore it gets body heat and never actually gets to the temp in the spec.

My son does the same as you with his vivosmart or vivoactive and puts it on his bars while riding. But he hasn't been out in real cold yet. I've not had a problem with my edge 500 and cold, but I don't ride very often at those temps either.
Iride01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 03:31 PM   #5
autonomy
Senior Member
 
autonomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Boston Roads
Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvainG View Post
Don't know where you got that -4C (unless you meant -4F?) because in the manual, they say the operational temperature is -20C to 45C. Battery was less than 25%. I'll try again with the battery at over 50% charge and see what happens...

Battery <25%? 99% chance the battery got cold, the device thought the battery was running out and shut down. Batteries work much worse when they're cold because the chemical reaction slows down. Happens every time to my Amazon phone - go outside in neg temp, phone in pocket = battery indicator cuts battery life in 2. Go back inside, warm up the phone = battery indicator back to around what it should be. The fact that it turned on after warming up on your wrist supports this theory.
autonomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 11:10 AM   #6
SylvainG 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ottawa,ON,Canada
Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Battery was fully charged this morning and at -6C, the watch never shut down. So t was the battery loosing its charge because of the cold.
SylvainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 02:40 PM   #7
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Cold should not affect the performance of lithium batteries, at least not such cold. Cold is a factor with alkaline, NiMH and NiCd. With my devices, I do not wait for a cold weather to assess the performance, but just throw them into a freezer straight after purchase.
2_i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 07:12 PM   #8
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
I disagree with the above. Lithium's have much better cold weather performance, but they still suffer capacity issues while used in cold as @autonomy said earlier.

It's probably not really your battery losing charge due to the cold unless it's been compromised by something else, like charging it while very cold.

Batteries just can't do enough of the chemical reaction that is required when cold to provide the current needed for your device.

Maybe kind'a similar, but not technically similar.
Iride01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 12:49 AM   #9
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
I disagree with the above. Lithium's have much better cold weather performance, but they still suffer capacity issues while used in cold as @autonomy said earlier.

It's probably not really your battery losing charge due to the cold unless it's been compromised by something else, like charging it while very cold.

Batteries just can't do enough of the chemical reaction that is required when cold to provide the current needed for your device.

Maybe kind'a similar, but not technically similar.
Wow, that's news to me! My lithium batteries are charged exclusively by hub dynamo while in the cold, down to -25-30C and all works flawlessly delivering a couple of amps to horn when necessary while lights are on. I have to tell my batteries that it is illegal to operate flawlessly in the cold.
2_i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 01:53 PM   #10
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_i View Post
Wow, that's news to me! My lithium batteries are charged exclusively by hub dynamo while in the cold, down to -25-30C and all works flawlessly delivering a couple of amps to horn when necessary while lights are on. I have to tell my batteries that it is illegal to operate flawlessly in the cold.
I think we are talking about two different conditions. If you are using a dynamo, then you aren't draining your batteries and they really aren't being charged. Unless you power consumption is greater than your dynamo output. Or do you connect the batteries to the dynamo after they are drained?

The OP said that the battery was showing less than 25% charge prior to the cold. In cold weather, batteries will loose ability to output as much current and amperage as they do in warm weather. Not that cold weather ruins the battery, they usually work fine when temps warm up.

There are quite a few warnings about charging some lithiums when they are below a certain temp. I don't know if that applies to all lithiums.

You are welcome to talk to your batteries though. But congratulate them. No one has any laws against them.
Iride01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 03:58 PM   #11
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
If you are using a dynamo, then you aren't draining your batteries and they really aren't being charged. Unless you power consumption is greater than your dynamo output. Or do you connect the batteries to the dynamo after they are drained?

The OP said that the battery was showing less than 25% charge prior to the cold. In cold weather, batteries will loose ability to output as much current and amperage as they do in warm weather. Not that cold weather ruins the battery, they usually work fine when temps warm up.

There are quite a few warnings about charging some lithiums when they are below a certain temp. I don't know if that applies to all lithiums.
My batteries would have no charge if they were not charged by the hub dynamo. They were never charged by AC during their life. At times I forget to switch the lights off and they stay on for the full day. A horn drains several amps while dynamo provides 0.5amp max. The horn can only live off the batteries. All my bike computers on all bikes all operate off lithium batteries at all temperatures and never had any problems. In one of my radios I specifically switch from alkaline to lithium for winter because lithium have no problems while alkaline begin to falter, some less some more depending on the manufacturer. Just that you read somewhere about a reduction does not mean that this transcribes into a real life problem. For real life testing I suggest you throw your device into a freezer and take it out after an hour and operate it. Poor LCD screens will falter but the lithium batteries do fine. I use different technologies (LiIon, LiFePO4) depending on where.
2_i is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:52 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION