Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Need a new bright light

Old 10-18-18, 12:13 AM
  #1  
guapo_az
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need a new bright light

Lots of them out there. I've narrowed my search to the L&M Urban 1000, the Lezyne Macro 1100XL and the new Niterider 1200. I also considered the Cygolite 1100, but decided against it. All of these lights are super bright, but I really don't need 1200 lumens for an hour or ride time. For that matter, I really don't need 1000 lumens for 1:30 either. So, I've been looking at their secondary settings. Niterider has 550 lumens for 3 hours. L&M has 500 lumens for 3 hours. Lezyne has 650 lumens for 2:30. The Cygolite is hard to tell - I think I found somewhere they are about 380 lumens for a couple hours or something like that and their boost is up to 1100. It just doesn't seem to be bright enough on that second setting or last long enough.

Pricing for the Cygolite is around $75, Lezyne is $79, Niterider $100 and that L&M sucker is $120. I like the L&M looks, but not for an extra $20-$40. I'm leaning towards the Lezyne. 650 lumens for 2:30 hours is like a 45-50 mile ride for me... which would leave me as cold as a Popsicle when the sun ain't up in the winter. It should be plenty. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these lights? Maybe someone can make a different suggestion?

Thanks!
guapo_az is offline  
Old 10-18-18, 12:45 AM
  #2  
daoswald
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT (Formerly Los Angeles, CA)
Posts: 1,023

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
You could maintain 20 MPH for 2h30m at night except that it's cold? (It's ok, I am certain I could not, and the cold wouldn't even be the reason.

Whatever duration your light lasts on high, it's never enough. Whatever duration it lasts on medium, it's usually more than a person would need for typical night training rides. And whatever duration the light lasts on low, it is never enough for endurance events that run through the night.

I had an old NightRider (halogen) that lasted me long enough to do 30 mile rides. I never ran it down in a single thirty-mile ride.

I replaced the NightRider with an L&M Urban 900... or maybe 1000; I forget now. That lasted me about five months before a pothole jarred the bike hard enough to cause the light's case to break off at the mount point. Up until that time, the light was fantastic. On medium I could get over three hours, which is long enough to outlast my longest night training rides (usually up to about 26 miles).

When it came time to replace that light, I went with a Light & Motion Taz 1200. It's a little heavier, but the mount point is reinforced with a screw, and the case seems more sturdy. The beam pattern is superior too. So at this point, and until it fails forcing me to find something better, it's the light I recommend.

In the back I have a CygloLite HostShot Pro 150.
daoswald is offline  
Old 10-18-18, 03:04 AM
  #3  
KraneXL
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,173

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by guapo_az View Post
Lots of them out there. I've narrowed my search to the L&M Urban 1000, the Lezyne Macro 1100XL and the new Niterider 1200. I also considered the Cygolite 1100, but decided against it. All of these lights are super bright, but I really don't need 1200 lumens for an hour or ride time. For that matter, I really don't need 1000 lumens for 1:30 either. So, I've been looking at their secondary settings. Niterider has 550 lumens for 3 hours. L&M has 500 lumens for 3 hours. Lezyne has 650 lumens for 2:30. The Cygolite is hard to tell - I think I found somewhere they are about 380 lumens for a couple hours or something like that and their boost is up to 1100. It just doesn't seem to be bright enough on that second setting or last long enough.

Pricing for the Cygolite is around $75, Lezyne is $79, Niterider $100 and that L&M sucker is $120. I like the L&M looks, but not for an extra $20-$40. I'm leaning towards the Lezyne. 650 lumens for 2:30 hours is like a 45-50 mile ride for me... which would leave me as cold as a Popsicle when the sun ain't up in the winter. It should be plenty. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these lights? Maybe someone can make a different suggestion?

Thanks!
Not the specific light but the Niterider (NR) brand. I have the NR 1800 Pro and love it. The only issue I have with it is the overly complicated electronic power switch -- you have to hold it and wait. Fine when you're starting out, but not that simple at speed. Hit a bump and you lose contact and have to start over.

I wish it had a direct access to the power setting or at least a feedback click power up/down. Also, keep in mind when shopping for a light, its not just a matter of power output, but beam pattern as well. NR has one of the best in the business, so be sure to check reviews to make sure you're getting a beam pattern (lens) that defines objects rather than just a bright scattered light that reflects back a lot of glare.
KraneXL is offline  
Old 10-18-18, 10:12 PM
  #4  
guapo_az
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts. I went with the Lezyne. That second setting was just a little too compelling to ignore - especially for the price.
guapo_az is offline  
Old 10-19-18, 10:38 AM
  #5  
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Posts: 37,089

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5383 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 69 Posts
Those are all good brands. One would probably be happy with any of them.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 10-19-18, 11:09 AM
  #6  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,152

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6448 Post(s)
Liked 357 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by guapo_az View Post
L&M sucker is $120. I like the L&M looks, but not for an extra $20-$40.
Light & Motion Urban 900 - $74.93
https://www.rei.com/product/122366/l...ont-bike-light

I own three Light & Motion products including the one linked above. Construction is robust and beam pattern is so good that it seems much brighter than it is.

Some complain that the tab breaks off the light so that it cannot be inserted into the mount and conclude that the light is poor quality but this is invariably because they are removing the light from the mount. The light is supposed to stay attached to the mount and the mount removed from the bike using the rubber strap. I have not had a problem in many years.


-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Old 10-20-18, 01:06 AM
  #7  
Falchoon
Senior Member
 
Falchoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A bit late now as OP has already purchased a light but for future reference...

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide...lus-how-choose

From the beam shots the Cateye Volt 800 looks pretty good - better than a number of other lights with more lumens.
Falchoon is offline  
Old 10-25-18, 07:04 PM
  #8  
surak
Senior Member
 
surak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 670

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Giant Contend SL Disc 2, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem, Priority Classic

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
Light & Motion Urban 900 - $74.93
https://www.rei.com/product/122366/l...ont-bike-light

I own three Light & Motion products including the one linked above. Construction is robust and beam pattern is so good that it seems much brighter than it is.

Some complain that the tab breaks off the light so that it cannot be inserted into the mount and conclude that the light is poor quality but this is invariably because they are removing the light from the mount. The light is supposed to stay attached to the mount and the mount removed from the bike using the rubber strap. I have not had a problem in many years.


-Tim-
Dang, I just ordered the L&M 900 ($60) and am not looking forward to their backwards idea of a quick release.
surak is offline  
Old 10-25-18, 07:31 PM
  #9  
rm -rf
don't try this at home.
 
rm -rf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N. KY
Posts: 5,085
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Falchoon View Post
A bit late now as OP has already purchased a light but for future reference...

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide...lus-how-choose

From the beam shots the Cateye Volt 800 looks pretty good - better than a number of other lights with more lumens.
That Cateye has a sharper edge cutoff and a brighter center beam than the Lezyne in your link.
I'd rather have a smooth edge transition and an evenly wide beam. The edges are somewhat distracting to me.
But the ones with narrower bright centers will project farther down the road, so they can be better on faster downhills.
rm -rf is offline  
Old 10-27-18, 07:13 AM
  #10  
MikeyMK
Cycleway town
 
MikeyMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Posts: 1,069

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 47 Times in 40 Posts
I bought my light and battery separately, saved me a lot of money for the performance.

The li-po battery pack is 9800mah at 12v, it's the size of a superkings cigarette packet, has a built-in on-off switch and cost 20 quid.

The lamp was a motorbike Cree led front fog lamp, very strong diode, ULM U3 I think. Claims of stupid lumens of course, 5000 from one diode... more relevant is the claim of 10w power consumption. Voltage input 12v-60v. Big glass magnifier isn't light, at least in weight, but gives it a good projection (broad and consistent range of flood and throw). That was like 15 quid.

So for 35 quid I had the brightest light in town, that lasted.

(I still do, it's now rigged into my 48v e-bikes computer).
MikeyMK is offline  
Old 10-27-18, 01:05 PM
  #11  
KraneXL
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,173

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
That Cateye has a sharper edge cutoff and a brighter center beam than the Lezyne in your link.
I'd rather have a smooth edge transition and an evenly wide beam. The edges are somewhat distracting to me.
But the ones with narrower bright centers will project farther down the road, so they can be better on faster downhills.
Distinct edges indicates a more focused beam -- the light goes only where its needed. These types are of much higher quality than those with indistinct edges where the light gets scattered and refracted all over the place.

Beam pattern, while related, can provide focus and/or spread. Both are needed, in a good light typically provides both to various degrees. With the best designed lights, there shouldn't be any highly noticeable distinction (hot spots) between the distance focus and spread beam patterns.
KraneXL is offline  
Old 11-03-18, 10:01 AM
  #12  
Canuk1w1
Senior Member
 
Canuk1w1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 78

Bikes: Miele Laser (Suntour Superbe Pro groupo)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Originally Posted by guapo_az View Post
Lots of them out there. I've narrowed my search to the L&M Urban 1000, the Lezyne Macro 1100XL and the new Niterider 1200. I also considered the Cygolite 1100, but decided against it. All of these lights are super bright, but I really don't need 1200 lumens for an hour or ride time. For that matter, I really don't need 1000 lumens for 1:30 either. So, I've been looking at their secondary settings. Niterider has 550 lumens for 3 hours. L&M has 500 lumens for 3 hours. Lezyne has 650 lumens for 2:30. The Cygolite is hard to tell - I think I found somewhere they are about 380 lumens for a couple hours or something like that and their boost is up to 1100. It just doesn't seem to be bright enough on that second setting or last long enough.
...
First off say thanks to everyone - OP for starting this thread and the rest for your replies. I'm looking at lights in the same range and plenty of Lezyne and L&M on sale now. But I may also splurge and get the Garmin to pair my Edge 820

Originally Posted by MikeyMK View Post
I bought my light and battery separately, saved me a lot of money for the performance.

The li-po battery pack is 9800mah at 12v, it's the size of a superkings cigarette packet, has a built-in on-off switch and cost 20 quid.

The lamp was a motorbike Cree led front fog lamp, very strong diode, ULM U3 I think. Claims of stupid lumens of course, 5000 from one diode... more relevant is the claim of 10w power consumption. Voltage input 12v-60v. Big glass magnifier isn't light, at least in weight, but gives it a good projection (broad and consistent range of flood and throw). That was like 15 quid.

So for 35 quid I had the brightest light in town, that lasted.

(I still do, it's now rigged into my 48v e-bikes computer).
This is an intriguing idea - moto lights need to tolerate much more vibration so must be robust. How/where do you mount your battery pack? Pretty sure if the velominati will not allow me to hang a battery pack off my supersix Evo
Canuk1w1 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
WeeHooker
Bicycle Mechanics
6
08-27-09 03:21 PM
mven
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
15
07-20-09 06:52 PM
niccolo
Bicycle Mechanics
8
05-27-06 12:05 PM
dragracer
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
5
10-09-03 09:38 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.