Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

New to Garmin, a few questions

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

New to Garmin, a few questions

Old 04-07-19, 07:21 PM
  #1  
Hiro11
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,150

Bikes: To the right: opinions, not facts.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 46 Posts
New to Garmin, a few questions

I bought a 520 Plus. I'm using it with a power meter over ANT+ which seems to be working fine. However, I have four questions:
1. Is a speed sensor necessary? My bike came with an ANT+ speed sensor but I haven't installed it. I seem to get pretty accurate speed results with just the GPS. Should I install the speed sensor?
2. Do I need to be running the Connect App on the phone in order for the computer to connect to my phone? It doesn't seem to connect otherwise, so I may have the answer right there.
3. I updated the firmware (quick) and maps (holy crap that took a while). How often should I update the maps? That wasn't hard, it just took forever.
4. I think I need to "star" segments in Strava to get live segments (I'm a Summit member), is that correct?

Thanks!
Hiro11 is offline  
Old 04-08-19, 10:01 AM
  #2  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,774
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2262 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 179 Posts
1- not necessary. The speed sensor is significantly quicker to react.
2- Garmin Connect is necessary. The Garmin devices are very low-powered computers. Using the phone off-loads some of the work onto a much faster computer. You can transfer activity by using a wire (that doesn't use Garmin Connect at all).
3- The maps take a while. They aren't updated that frequently (about 2 a year, maybe).
4- (don't use strava.)
njkayaker is online now  
Old 04-08-19, 10:05 AM
  #3  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,488

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
2- Garmin Connect is necessary. The Garmin devices are very low-powered computers. Using the phone off-loads some of the work onto a much faster computer. You can transfer activity by using a wire (that doesn't use Garmin Connect at all).
)
Huh ?. Never heard this. What "work" gets processed by the Connect Mobile app ?.

Only thing I was aware of is the BT connection to the app is to get a completed ride up to whatever on-line/cloud based ride tacking site you use, to download courses via BT from the app or from the Garmin Connect website, for live track function, or for message/call notification. Learn me, as I'm puzzled.

Last edited by Steve B.; 04-08-19 at 10:09 AM.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 04-08-19, 10:30 AM
  #4  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,774
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2262 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
Huh ?. Never heard this. What "work" gets processed by the Connect Mobile app ?.

Only thing I was aware of is the BT connection to the app is to get a completed ride up to whatever on-line/cloud based ride tacking site you use, to download courses via BT from the app or from the Garmin Connect website, for live track function, or for message/call notification. Learn me, as I'm puzzled.
I was replying to his question here. Garmin Connect needs to be running for a "connection to a phone". If you aren't doing anything with a phone, you don't need GC at all.

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
2. Do I need to be running the Connect App on the phone in order for the computer to connect to my phone? It doesn't seem to connect otherwise, so I may have the answer right there.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-09-19 at 10:32 AM.
njkayaker is online now  
Old 04-08-19, 10:40 AM
  #5  
josephjhaney
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
I bought a 520 Plus. I'm using it with a power meter over ANT+ which seems to be working fine. However, I have four questions:
1. Is a speed sensor necessary? My bike came with an ANT+ speed sensor but I haven't installed it. I seem to get pretty accurate speed results with just the GPS. Should I install the speed sensor?
2. Do I need to be running the Connect App on the phone in order for the computer to connect to my phone? It doesn't seem to connect otherwise, so I may have the answer right there.
3. I updated the firmware (quick) and maps (holy crap that took a while). How often should I update the maps? That wasn't hard, it just took forever.
4. I think I need to "star" segments in Strava to get live segments (I'm a Summit member), is that correct?

Thanks!
1 - the speed senor is going to be a little more accurate, and as noted, will be quicker to update when you're moving.
2- Varying reports on this, to be safe just run the connect app. (the garmin should connect via bluetooth either way, but power management settings on your phone might interrupt it if it's not running)
3- I'm a geek, so I constantly update, just because. And yes, always seems to take forever.
4- Live segments are one of the most fun things about a connected garmin, and yes, you'll need to star any segments that you want to automatically pop up when you're riding live.

Joe
josephjhaney is offline  
Old 04-08-19, 05:20 PM
  #6  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,488

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
I was replying to his question here. Garmin Connect needs to be running for a "connection to a phone". If you aren't doing anything with a phone, you don't nee GC at all.
Yes, that clarifies it.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 04-08-19, 07:45 PM
  #7  
JohnJ80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,220

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
JohnJ80 is offline  
Old 04-09-19, 05:39 PM
  #8  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,773

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 223 Posts
I will echo what everyone else says, USE the speed sensor. Its way more accurate and if GPS cuts out or what have you it takes over and all that.

I use the connect app its really nice, but you can just use the computer program also or neither and just read off the head unit but the app is my favorite.

The strava live segments works fine. I tried that but I found it kind of sucked the life out my rides sometimes because I was always watching for segments and KOM's and I forgot to actually enjoy the ride. I no longer use that feature.

the updates I can not speak of, I don't have the plus model but I wish I did. I have the standard 520 from a few years back and LOVE it I imagine the plus is just as excellent.
sdmc530 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Calla lily
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
7
12-21-16 01:21 PM
Jixr
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
13
11-13-16 10:06 AM
salreus
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
6
04-13-15 05:04 PM
dalava
Road Cycling
48
03-20-15 04:10 PM
parkersdad
Road Cycling
3
06-11-13 07:05 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.