Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Wacky HR monitor readings - help!

Old 05-16-19, 06:44 AM
  #1  
Koyote
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Wacky HR monitor readings - help!

Hi all. I know this is a fairly common problem: My Garmin HR monitor was reliable for about 1.5 years, but recently started giving highly erratic readings. Always about 7-12 minutes into the ride, always astronomically high readings (250+, which is a little above my max HR), and then it goes gradually down to normal. This is slightly annoying, as I like to track my max HR on each ride.

My question: should I guy a new HR monitor, or will that just be a waste of money? Interested to learn of other people's experiences in this regard. Thanks!
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 08:23 AM
  #2  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,775

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I can not speak for you specific needs on the bike but when I my current chest strap setup does fail I will not be replacing. I am on my second garmin unit in about 6 years. I find the info helpful but not really necessary. I found it more necessary before I got a power meter but now I use that data for training and such so I will probably ditch the HR.
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 09:43 AM
  #3  
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 5,090

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Three guesses:

1. You need to replace the HR battery. If it's a Garmin strap, good luck!

2. The strap isn't getting a clear signal. Wash the strap, and try a HRM gel (or spit) under the pads if washing doesn't work.

3. The readings are right, and you may have atrial fibrillation. Go see a cardiologist.

Or maybe 4, the strap needs to be replaced. (Try a Wahoo for easier battery changes!)
pdlamb is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 10:09 AM
  #4  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 5,730

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When my battery is low, I get low readings, not high. But that is a cheap thing to change so I would try that first even though I think that unlikely.

As Pdlamb suggested, clean it, perhaps there are salts that are conductive that are allowing some form of short circuit.

If it is a ANT+ type of strap, you might be able to buy a non-Garmin strap if you see something else you like. I bought a Addidas ANT+ strap that works with my Garmin 62S.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 10:52 AM
  #5  
Koyote
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for the advice, so far. Happy to get more advice, if it's forthcoming.

I'll try a new battery first. If that doesn't work, I'll get a new HR monitor.

It's a Garmin, but the battery is very easy to replace - I have done it once before when it quit working.

I think it's not atrial fibrillation -- if my HR actually did hit 250+, I think I'd know it!
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 11:13 AM
  #6  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 18,737
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7376 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 25 Posts
Really sounds like the battery to me, washing wouldn't hurt either.

Which strap do you have? Garmin has made so many. I probably got 5 years out of the old plastic uncomfortable one, I've never got more than a year out of their running one.

Last edited by Seattle Forrest; 05-16-19 at 11:19 AM.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 11:15 AM
  #7  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 18,737
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7376 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530 View Post
I can not speak for you specific needs on the bike but when I my current chest strap setup does fail I will not be replacing. I am on my second garmin unit in about 6 years. I find the info helpful but not really necessary. I found it more necessary before I got a power meter but now I use that data for training and such so I will probably ditch the HR.
Ideal to have both. Especially since the chest strap costs so little. You can work out your current VO2max from your HRWR ratio, and get some insight into how well you're recovering.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 11:19 AM
  #8  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 18,737
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7376 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 25 Posts
Here's the old uncomfortable one for $21 new.

Garmin Heart Rate Monitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UOD5QM..._sRz3CbHMK136P

Soft strap for $49.

Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor (Soft Strap) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BI9X1QM..._8Rz3Cb4QNP2SC

And a no name ANT+ one for $30.

CooSpo Fitness Tracker Ant+ Heart Rate Monitor Chest Strap IP67 Waterproof with Bluetooth for Wahoo Strava Zwift Ö https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BS6B4PD..._uTz3Cb9VHPA76
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 12:01 PM
  #9  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,775

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I will say that of the straps I have used in the past I think the soft strap by Garmin is really comfy....
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 12:59 PM
  #10  
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,147

Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've had two of the Garmin Premium Soft Straps in the last nine years. They've worked great for me. I just rinse it off under running water immediately after a ride. Just got my second strap maybe two years or less ago. I seem to remember my first was starting to act like you described and even with battery change it didn't help.

You can find the Garmin Premium Soft Straps online for less than fifty bucks. Though some people have issues with them, I think mine have been solid. I wonder if it's those that sweat so much salt that they crust up their clothes, strap and anything else that have the real crazy issues and low success with the Garmin strap. I'm fairly low salt on my diet compared to others.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 01:54 PM
  #11  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 5,730

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
After a battery change you might have to re-pair the strap with the Garmin so they can communicate.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 02:34 PM
  #12  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
TimothyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 13,495

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6068 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
Three guesses:

1. You need to replace the HR battery. If it's a Garmin strap, good luck!

2. The strap isn't getting a clear signal. Wash the strap, and try a HRM gel (or spit) under the pads if washing doesn't work.

3. The readings are right, and you may have atrial fibrillation. Go see a cardiologist.

Or maybe 4, the strap needs to be replaced. (Try a Wahoo for easier battery changes!)

Reverse steps 3 and 4. Replace the strap before seeing a specialist.

But yes, always do the easy and cheap thing first.


-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 07:40 PM
  #13  
August West
Member
 
August West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 38

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
I've had two of the Garmin Premium Soft Straps in the last nine years. They've worked great for me. I just rinse it off under running water immediately after a ride. Just got my second strap maybe two years or less ago. I seem to remember my first was starting to act like you described and even with battery change it didn't help.

You can find the Garmin Premium Soft Straps online for less than fifty bucks. Though some people have issues with them, I think mine have been solid. I wonder if it's those that sweat so much salt that they crust up their clothes, strap and anything else that have the real crazy issues and low success with the Garmin strap. I'm fairly low salt on my diet compared to others.
I've had my Soft Strap for 4 years now and it has worked great for me too. Usually rinse it off in the utility sink in the garage after use and just hang it over the side to to dry. I did replace the battery last year just because it was 3 years old and figured it was due. You do need a jewelers screwdriver to open the case but I didn't find anything difficult about it. Plus, up until a few months ago I was kind of a salt fiend so it saw plenty of NaCl over the years but maybe rinsing it off helped. I find it comfortable too.
August West is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 10:16 PM
  #14  
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Thanks for the advice, so far. Happy to get more advice, if it's forthcoming.

I'll try a new battery first. If that doesn't work, I'll get a new HR monitor.

It's a Garmin, but the battery is very easy to replace - I have done it once before when it quit working.

I think it's not atrial fibrillation -- if my HR actually did hit 250+, I think I'd know it!
Not always true about feeling it. If not for the hr monitor I never would had known I was in afib. HR for me was between 70 and 180s never felt it at all. Some people never feel it others canít walk across a room without losing their breath.
Odds are it is not afib but donít discount it just because you canít feel it.

I would give the strap a good soaking
Bmach is offline  
Old 05-17-19, 07:33 AM
  #15  
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 5,090

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
Three guesses:

1. You need to replace the HR battery. If it's a Garmin strap, good luck!

2. The strap isn't getting a clear signal. Wash the strap, and try a HRM gel (or spit) under the pads if washing doesn't work.

3. The readings are right, and you may have atrial fibrillation. Go see a cardiologist.

Or maybe 4, the strap needs to be replaced. (Try a Wahoo for easier battery changes!)

Reverse steps 3 and 4. Replace the strap before seeing a specialist.

But yes, always do the easy and cheap thing first.
To extend that good point, swap steps 1 and 2 and try spit on the electrodes first -- it's even cheaper than a $5 battery!
pdlamb is offline  
Old 05-17-19, 07:47 AM
  #16  
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 8,696
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Hi all. I know this is a fairly common problem: My Garmin HR monitor was reliable for about 1.5 years, but recently started giving highly erratic readings. Always about 7-12 minutes into the ride, always astronomically high readings (250+, which is a little above my max HR), and then it goes gradually down to normal. This is slightly annoying, as I like to track my max HR on each ride.

My question: should I guy a new HR monitor, or will that just be a waste of money? Interested to learn of other people's experiences in this regard. Thanks!
It's a fairly common characteristic when the contacts are dry and you have a jersey that moves around. Options are to ignore the first 15 min of HR recordings, try some gel on the contacts, wear tighter jerseys. This problem is typically worse with low humidity.
gregf83 is offline  
Old 05-18-19, 06:37 AM
  #17  
tntyz
Senior Member
 
tntyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nabob, WI
Posts: 1,192

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another thing to try is to tighten up the strap a bit. The elastic in mine started to go this helped.
tntyz is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.