Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

HELP!!!! Bolt died mid ride

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

HELP!!!! Bolt died mid ride

Old 06-09-20, 07:06 PM
  #1  
oldroadie48
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 61

Bikes: Cervelo SLC-SL with Super Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HELP!!!! Bolt died mid ride

My ELEMNT Bolt died mid ride. Can I get the data back from it or phone or somewhere else? Thanks
oldroadie48 is offline  
Old 06-10-20, 09:35 AM
  #2  
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 4,272

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 381 Posts
Only if something else recorded it. Or, the Bolt has the portion of the ride it did record.
Iride01 is online now  
Old 06-10-20, 12:24 PM
  #3  
Elvo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4,414
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 131 Times in 76 Posts
There should be a ride recovery pocess when you restart it
Elvo is offline  
Old 06-10-20, 11:42 PM
  #4  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,620

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3688 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 832 Posts
If your smartphone has enabled Google Maps Timeline tracking, it'll record pretty much everything. It's even pretty accurate at distinguishing between traveling by car, city bus, bicycle or walking. It's set to private by default, so nobody knows but you,
Google... the NSA... Russian and Chinese hackers... that kid down the block...

Anyway, if a ride is important enough -- a birthday ride-my-age thing, century, event ride, etc. -- you can recover it from Google Maps Timeline. Download the file, convert it to whatever file format you need (Strava, etc.), and manually upload to Strava, etc.

I've done that maybe once or twice a year when my GPS glitches. Google is generally more reliable than any other device or app I've used. But it's inconvenient because they don't use the same file format as Strava.

BTW, you can also delete those logs from Timeline. But only Google knows whether it's really deleted or they retain a copy in their dungeon... along with NSA... China... Russia... that kid....
canklecat is online now  
Old 06-20-20, 05:20 PM
  #5  
frogmorton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Start the unit and connect it to your computer. Browse to the exports folder and look for the .fit file for your ride. If itís there you might be able to do something with it like manually imports it to strava. If it is corrupt, there are tools on the web for managing fit files that might help you recover.
frogmorton is online now  
Old 06-27-20, 03:08 PM
  #6  
jaws7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure how to recover your data, but for future problems you can sign up for a free Ride with GPS account. Then you can set your ELEMNT Bolt to automatically download each ride to Ride with GPS. Now you will have 2 separate records of your rides.
jaws7 is offline  
Old 06-29-20, 10:53 AM
  #7  
JohnJ80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,211

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
Only if something else recorded it. Or, the Bolt has the portion of the ride it did record.
This is why I have switched all my bikes over to the Garmin Speed Sensor 2. It records time, speed and distance so if something happens to the bike computer, you can get this all out via Garmin connect. Pretty cool product. This essentially gives you a ride recorded on two devices simultaneously. It's saved my day for me a couple of times.

Originally Posted by Elvo View Post
There should be a ride recovery pocess when you restart it
Only up to the point where it crashed.

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
If your smartphone has enabled Google Maps Timeline tracking, it'll record pretty much everything. It's even pretty accurate at distinguishing between traveling by car, city bus, bicycle or walking. It's set to private by default, so nobody knows but you,
Google... the NSA... Russian and Chinese hackers... that kid down the block...
But you'd be nuts to do this and give Google all that data about where you've been and what you're doing. "Private" pretty much is meaningless to Google.

Originally Posted by jaws7 View Post
I'm not sure how to recover your data, but for future problems you can sign up for a free Ride with GPS account. Then you can set your ELEMNT Bolt to automatically download each ride to Ride with GPS. Now you will have 2 separate records of your rides.
Same is true for Strava and a number of other accounts. you can also use the Tapiirik sync service to make sure that your ride data is synced to a whole long list of services. Wahoo also will sync to multiple services - 19 by my count including Dropbox.
JohnJ80 is offline  
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 06-29-20, 11:08 AM
  #8  
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 4,272

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 381 Posts
So you trust Garmin with your information and blindly let Garmin's phone app send your data to their cloud, but Google is a no-no?
Iride01 is online now  
Old 06-29-20, 01:11 PM
  #9  
JohnJ80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,211

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
So you trust Garmin with your information and blindly let Garmin's phone app send your data to their cloud, but Google is a no-no?
Actually, no.

My Garmin connect login is a anonymized email address and ties back to nothing else. Besides that, read the terms from Garmin and Google and you'll find some stark differences.
JohnJ80 is offline  
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 06-29-20, 01:54 PM
  #10  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,471

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
So you trust Garmin with your information and blindly let Garmin's phone app send your data to their cloud, but Google is a no-no?
Which of the two would you trust more with all the assorted data they grab from you ?. Garmin tracks your fitness activities. Google tries to track everything you do. I would trust Garmin somewhat more than Google.

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-29-20 at 02:47 PM.
Steve B. is online now  
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 07-01-20, 06:01 AM
  #11  
Aushiker
Senior Member
 
Aushiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia
Posts: 1,285

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Giant Defy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
This is why I have switched all my bikes over to the Garmin Speed Sensor 2. It records time, speed and distance so if something happens to the bike computer, you can get this all out via Garmin connect. Pretty cool product. This essentially gives you a ride recorded on two devices simultaneously. It's saved my day for me a couple of times.
I wasn't aware of the Garmin Speed Sensor 2 so thanks for the heads-up. I do like the idea of the built-in redundancy.
Aushiker is offline  
Old 07-01-20, 10:41 AM
  #12  
JohnJ80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,211

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Aushiker View Post
I wasn't aware of the Garmin Speed Sensor 2 so thanks for the heads-up. I do like the idea of the built-in redundancy.
Glad to help. Hope you like it.

Itís a pretty cool little product at no real price premium for a speed sensor.
JohnJ80 is offline  
Likes For JohnJ80:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.