Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Does the Lezyne Multi Drive 1000 light have the cut-off beam?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Does the Lezyne Multi Drive 1000 light have the cut-off beam?

Old 07-15-20, 03:18 PM
  #1  
Miele Man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,193

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 481 Posts
Does the Lezyne Multi Drive 1000 light have the cut-off beam?

Does the Lezyne Multi Drive 1000 light have the cut-off beam required by law in germany?

Thanks

Edit. Anyone here use one? How do like the beam pattern in terms of width?

Last edited by Miele Man; 07-15-20 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Added question
Miele Man is offline  
Old 07-16-20, 04:41 AM
  #2  
Miele Man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,193

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 481 Posts
It's really hard to dind out about the beam pattern. I've been searching but can't find anything stating whether it has the Stvzo beam pattern or not. Lezyne wants my name before they'll accept a request for information.

I might go to the MEC in Burlington, Ontario and get one to see what the beam pattern is. If it's not suitable for road use I'll be able to return it.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Old 07-16-20, 05:51 AM
  #3  
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,098

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 150 Posts
Nope, no cutoff.
znomit is offline  
Old 07-17-20, 02:52 AM
  #4  
Miele Man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,193

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 481 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit View Post
Nope, no cutoff.
Thanks
Miele Man is offline  
Old 07-18-20, 03:14 AM
  #5  
polyphrast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Germany, south of the white sausage equator
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
It's really hard to dind out about the beam pattern. I've been searching but can't find anything stating whether it has the Stvzo beam pattern or not.
On the Lezyne Webpage (lezyne.com) is a separate category called "stvzo" (--> Electronics --> LED lights --> StVZO). There are hardly any StVZO compliant beam patterns with 1000 lumens, unless it is a high beam mode. I only know of the Lupine SL(F) and the Outbound Focal Road (albeit the latter is not officially certified), both having 1000 lm dipped beam.
polyphrast is offline  
Likes For polyphrast:
Old 07-18-20, 06:38 AM
  #6  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,694

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3714 Post(s)
Liked 1,320 Times in 869 Posts
Ditto, the Outbound light, although some users say there's a noticeable difference in apparent brightness between the pool of light closest to the bike and the more distant beam. In customer videos I see a slightly difference in apparent brightness. Outbound has recently cut the price of their road model, although at the moment they're waiting for batteries so while they'll accept orders and ship the lights as soon as batteries are available. So far they have a good rep for customer satisfaction.

I'm leaning toward a NiteRider Lumina 1800 for the dual LED, wider beam and because my Lumina Micro 850 has been satisfactory overall, other than the limited runtime. It's smaller with a smaller battery and will last the distance of my usual 2-3 hour night rides only if I use the low or medium settings.

The NiteRider lacks the Outbound's lens design that shapes the beam, but the Lumina has a somewhat hooded overhang that acts as a sort of cutoff. It's reasonably effective, good enough for US purposes since we don't have laws regulating bicycle lights. The beam shape is better than my Light & Motion Urban 500.
canklecat is offline  
Old 07-23-20, 04:04 PM
  #7  
Miele Man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,193

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 481 Posts
Well, I bought the Lezyne Multi Drive 1000 light and charged it overnight last night. The instructions say it does NOT meet the German SvTZO standards. Whether that's because it does not have a cutoff beam or because it has a flashing mode I don't know yet. I'm going for a night ride with it tonight and will post whether it has the cutoff beam.

Funny thing is that the Power HB Drive StVZO 500 light DOES have the cutoff beam.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Old 07-23-20, 04:43 PM
  #8  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,284 Times in 801 Posts
Lightbulb

LED in the center of a Parabolic reflector? then it does not..
Here is one that does , It is Made in Germany. LED is in the top, facing down..

Peter White is North American importer..

"The tiny Ixon Core uses the same new optics as the Lumotec Eyc dynamo headlight. Power is from a lithium battery, which is charged via a micro USB port at the rear of the housing. This is a very bright headlight at 50 lux in its full power mode. 10 lux in low power mode. Run time in full power is 3 hours, low power is 15 hours. In many applications low power is all you need.

The projected beam is brightest at the top, and is progressively dimmer towards the bottom. This results in amazingly even illumination of the road surface ahead, unlike so many other headlights you'll find in bike shops that are really just flashlights with a handlebar mount.

Includes a cable to plug into any USB port for charging."

Ixon Core headlight with micro USB cable, Part # B&M180-5: $ 94.00





....

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-23-20 at 05:01 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 07-24-20, 12:35 AM
  #9  
polyphrast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Germany, south of the white sausage equator
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
Well, I bought the Lezyne Multi Drive 1000 light and charged it overnight last night. The instructions say it does NOT meet the German SvTZO standards. Whether that's because it does not have a cutoff beam or because it has a flashing mode I don't know yet. I'm going for a night ride with it tonight and will post whether it has the cutoff beam.
Both. Blinking is not at all allowed, but since that is only a programming feature, it is easily removed. The issue must be the beam. But please report or provide a beamshot against a wall or in a forest/wooded area.
i personally refer with "StVZO" in most cases to the beam pattern. Whether a light then has a blink mode (like the outbound does) or not is imho irrelevant, i just don't use blink modes, especial not for front lighting.

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Ditto, the Outbound light, although some users say there's a noticeable difference in apparent brightness between the pool of light closest to the bike and the more distant beam. In customer videos I see a slightly difference in apparent brightness.
well amongst others, i do say so as well.
polyphrast is offline  
Old 07-24-20, 06:18 AM
  #10  
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,098

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
Funny thing is that the Power HB Drive StVZO 500 light DOES have the cutoff beam.

Cheers
The optics are completely different.

I'm pretty excited about these new Lezynes with cutoff. Gimme an external battery pack please.
znomit is offline  
Old 07-24-20, 08:20 AM
  #11  
Miele Man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,193

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 481 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit View Post
The optics are completely different.

I'm pretty excited about these new Lezynes with cutoff. Gimme an external battery pack please.
Unfortunately something came up last night and I was unable to get out for my night ride.

I bought the Lezyne 1000 because it has an external battery pack. Now if it had the optics t hat meet the SvTZO standards it'd be fantastic.

I do a LOT of night riding in winter and the cold evening temperature can drastically reduce the runtime of a light with an internal battery or even an external battery. Inb winter I tuck my battery pack inside my jacket so that my body heat keeps the batteries warm. My experience is that doing that makes quite a difference in battery run times.

I'll see if I can get some beam shots of my new light tonight.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Old 07-24-20, 10:49 AM
  #12  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,694

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3714 Post(s)
Liked 1,320 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
...The NiteRider lacks the Outbound's lens design that shapes the beam, but the Lumina has a somewhat hooded overhang that acts as a sort of cutoff. It's reasonably effective, good enough for US purposes since we don't have laws regulating bicycle lights. The beam shape is better than my Light & Motion Urban 500.
Turns out I was wrong about the NiteRider Lumina Dual 1800. It does have a lens designed similarly to a motorcycle or motor vehicle light to create an evenly spread beam and to minimize spill over the top.

I've used this light for a week on a few night rides and it's very good. Helped me spot a roadside deer from farther away and be prepared for its erratic movement.

And on the MUP the beam cutoff appears to be adequate to avoid blinding oncoming pedestrians and cyclists. I could see the narrow path or gravel path clearly, yet I couldn't see any of the beam spill onto the faces of oncoming folks, and nobody reflexively squinted or reached up to cover their eyes.
canklecat is offline  
Old 07-25-20, 12:53 AM
  #13  
polyphrast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Germany, south of the white sausage equator
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit View Post
The optics are completely different.
I'm pretty excited about these new Lezynes with cutoff. Gimme an external battery pack please.
Well, the beam pattern off those Lezynes is a tad narrow, B&M does it better with its Ixon Space, but it uses 200 lms more in the dipped beam. If you want an external battery pack, get the Lezyne e-bike version (EBIKE POWER HB STVZO E550) and connect e.g. a 11.1V Li-Ion battery (it can work with 6-12V, see here PDF) or connect a powerbank with 12V Output

Last edited by polyphrast; 07-25-20 at 01:03 AM.
polyphrast is offline  
Old 07-25-20, 01:47 PM
  #14  
Miele Man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,193

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 481 Posts
This light throws a lot of the light upwards. I'm somewhat disappointed in the range thus far. I'm going out tonight to a totally dark road to see what the light is like there. In town last night I noticed the beam was fairly bright near the front wheel but if I tilted the light up a bit to move that bright spot further down the road, that a lot of the light then went skyward.

Tonight's ride will be a make it or break it ride.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 11:29 PM
  #15  
Miele Man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,193

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 481 Posts
Hi there any interested parties.

I finally got to ride totally dark roads out in the country last night and early this morning.

On the 1000 lumens setting this light is okay for night riding on dark country roads. There is a lot of upward and sideways spill. I could see reflective barriers that were in driveways - that is not right at the road I was on.

On the 500 lumens setting the light was adequate for riding dark country roads but I'd like a bit more range on the beam.

I also have a Magic-Shine knockoff light and I had it with me too.

If I used the Magic-Shine knockoff on it's high setting and the Lezyne light on the 200 or 250 (not sure which it is) lumens setting the Lezyne light was still useful for riding the dark country roads. The Magic-Shine knockoff light gave the distance I wanted but it's a much narrower beam. two of them mounted side by side would be great.

On the 1000 lumens setting the Lezyne light lit the road surface adequately for the distance between two telephone poles that is a total of three telephone poles total.

If this light had a reflector that met the German SvTZO requirements it'd be an utterly fantastic light as I'm sure the range would be extended a fair bit.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 08-01-20, 08:53 PM
  #16  
Miele Man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,193

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 481 Posts
Here are three images of the light output. These were taken with a cellphone and were 3+MB in size before I reduced them. Hopefully they tell you what's needed about the light beam.





Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Old 08-02-20, 11:55 PM
  #17  
polyphrast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Germany, south of the white sausage equator
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
thanks for posting the beam shots and your opinion. Looks like a pretty ordinary roundshape beam type. I'd say a cheap Lumintop B01 puts more usable light on the road with only 450 lm and it has a cut-off (but no stvzo cert). But that light is probably nice for some trail riding.
polyphrast is offline  
Old 08-03-20, 12:30 AM
  #18  
Miele Man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,193

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 481 Posts
Originally Posted by polyphrast View Post
thanks for posting the beam shots and your opinion. Looks like a pretty ordinary roundshape beam type. I'd say a cheap Lumintop B01 puts more usable light on the road with only 450 lm and it has a cut-off (but no stvzo cert). But that light is probably nice for some trail riding.
I think the beam on the Lezyne 1000 light could be better shaped as there's a LOT od upward and sideways spill that's not really needed. Like I said upthread, t he sideways spill is so great that I could see reflectors on gates that were a number of feet off the road. I'd have rather had a beam that put more light a bit further down the road.

I guess it's hard to make a light with a long but road & road shoulder width beam that doesn't have a lot of upwards and sideways spill.

I wonder how the Lezyne 500 or 550 lights with SvTZO beams will compare to this 1000 light? I might just buy one to see.

Cheers

Last edited by Miele Man; 08-03-20 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Forgot a comment
Miele Man is offline  
Old 08-03-20, 01:19 AM
  #19  
polyphrast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Germany, south of the white sausage equator
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
I guess it's hard to make a light with a long but road & road shoulder width beam that doesn't have a lot of upwards and sideways spill.
It's not hard, it is just expensive (and time consuming). There is plenty of expertise in this topic from automotive industry worldwide and in europe, viz germany, also in the bike industry. Designing proper optics with cutoff costs ~20.000 USD. And that does not necessary include the costs for the tooling required to produce either the lenses or the reflector. And you have to design the optics specifically for your dedicated light source (especially the emitting area).
The more light you want to have, the more expensive the design process becomes. Since sales numbers for bike lights are much lower than for car/truck lights, the cost of the design per light sold is not irrelevant.
polyphrast is offline  
Old 08-03-20, 03:06 AM
  #20  
Miele Man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,193

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 481 Posts
Originally Posted by polyphrast View Post
It's not hard, it is just expensive (and time consuming). There is plenty of expertise in this topic from automotive industry worldwide and in europe, viz germany, also in the bike industry. Designing proper optics with cutoff costs ~20.000 USD. And that does not necessary include the costs for the tooling required to produce either the lenses or the reflector. And you have to design the optics specifically for your dedicated light source (especially the emitting area).
The more light you want to have, the more expensive the design process becomes. Since sales numbers for bike lights are much lower than for car/truck lights, the cost of the design per light sold is not irrelevant.
All that you said is true. With things like bicycle lights and bicycle tires there's a lot of competition for what's actually a pretty small market. Thus the economy of scale that's available to makers of car lights and car tires doesn't come into play with bicycle lights. Some relatively expensive expensive bicycle lights are rather shoddy in construction.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 08-08-20, 01:56 PM
  #21  
angerdan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
I guess it's hard to make a light with a long but road & road shoulder width beam that doesn't have a lot of upwards and sideways spill.
Not hard for Supernova or Lupine. Also not really expensive, really powerfull cut-off beam shape lights from them starts at 250.
angerdan is offline  
Old 08-08-20, 04:16 PM
  #22  
Miele Man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,193

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 481 Posts
Originally Posted by angerdan View Post
Not hard for Supernova or Lupine. Also not really expensive, really powerfull cut-off beam shape lights from them starts at 250.
Lupine Piko R 4 1800 Lumen Helmet Light = $509.00 Canadian

Is that one you were thinking of?

Cheers

Miele Man is offline  
Old 08-08-20, 04:40 PM
  #23  
greatscott
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Indiana
Posts: 540

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 50 Posts
I agree with the no answer, if it had a cutoff beam they would be advertising it since it would be a benefit.

But there is a light that does have that feature, made by Ravemen called the PR series, they have the PR1600, PR1200, PR900 and the PR800. These lights have been raved about in reviews, plus they don't have that bulky separate battery; anyway read about these lights here: https://ravemen.com/product/product....g=en&class2=11

Another great light is the Cateye Volt series, no cutoff but the model 1700 is very bright, a lot brighter then the Lezyne for the same amount of money, plus it has a self contained battery, plus you can buy more batteries and swap out a dead one for a fully charged on while on the road or trail, of course the extra battery is extra money.

Personally I don't see the point of using 1,000 plus lumens of light unless I was was doing fast technical single track riding, which I don't do! So on the road I have the capability of going to 1,000 lumens but I rarely go past 400 lumens for the road. I have a couple of older lights that have separate batteries and I don't like them, I don't like trying to fasten the battery and getting to stay put while riding, they all use velcro straps and no matter how tight I strap a battery they still move, it irritates me, so when better self contained battery lights came out I jumped on them.
greatscott is offline  
Old 08-08-20, 06:44 PM
  #24  
Miele Man
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,193

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 481 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott View Post
I agree with the no answer, if it had a cutoff beam they would be advertising it since it would be a benefit.

But there is a light that does have that feature, made by Ravemen called the PR series, they have the PR1600, PR1200, PR900 and the PR800. These lights have been raved about in reviews, plus they don't have that bulky separate battery; anyway read about these lights here: https://ravemen.com/product/product....g=en&class2=11

Another great light is the Cateye Volt series, no cutoff but the model 1700 is very bright, a lot brighter then the Lezyne for the same amount of money, plus it has a self contained battery, plus you can buy more batteries and swap out a dead one for a fully charged on while on the road or trail, of course the extra battery is extra money.

Personally I don't see the point of using 1,000 plus lumens of light unless I was was doing fast technical single track riding, which I don't do! So on the road I have the capability of going to 1,000 lumens but I rarely go past 400 lumens for the road. I have a couple of older lights that have separate batteries and I don't like them, I don't like trying to fasten the battery and getting to stay put while riding, they all use velcro straps and no matter how tight I strap a battery they still move, it irritates me, so when better self contained battery lights came out I jumped on them.
Where I think a separate external battery pack comes in mighty handy is in the dead of winter when it's really cold out. With the separate battery pack you can slip it under your jacket and keep the battery warm which extends its run-time by quite a bit.

I like a high lumens count on my light so that I can extend the run-time with it on a lower setting that'd be the high setting on a light with less lumens.

Cheers

Edit. I see that the Raveman 1600 can also use an external battery pack via a port in the rear of the light. Sounds like a good light. I might just give it a try. Thanks.

Cheers

Last edited by Miele Man; 08-08-20 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Added comment
Miele Man is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 01:27 AM
  #25  
polyphrast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Germany, south of the white sausage equator
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott View Post
But there is a light that does have that feature, made by Ravemen called the PR series, they have the PR1600, PR1200, PR900 and the PR800. These lights have been raved about in reviews, plus they don't have that bulky separate battery; anyway read about these lights here: https://ravemen.com/product/product....g=en&class2=11
Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
Edit. I see that the Raveman 1600 can also use an external battery pack via a port in the rear of the light. Sounds like a good light. I might just give it a try. Thanks.
Those raveman lights are not really cut-off. They reduce the spill upwards, but there is still a significant amount (they just use simple fresnel lenses to do this). While not comparable to a standard lezyne light, enough to blind people (especially in higher modes) If you setup the light in such a way, that you don't blind others, you have an overexposed area pretty close to the bike.
Originally Posted by greatscott View Post
Another great light is the Cateye Volt series, no cutoff but [....]
Cateye offers (at least in Germany) cut-off versions, Called GVolt 70 (StVZO) and GVolt 50 (StVZO). The former is a pretty good road light.

Originally Posted by greatscott View Post
Personally I don't see the point of using 1,000 plus lumens of light [...]
That all depends on the beam characteristics. If wide spread, 1000 lm are needed in some situations, if not, it's overkill. It's hard to make a general statement about such a thing as necessary light amount.

Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
Lupine Piko R 4 1800 Lumen Helmet Light = $509.00 Canadian
Is that one you were thinking of?
Cheers
Nope, he was thinking of either the Lupine SL (without highbeam); the Lupine SLF (with highbeam) or the Lupine SLX. Here you can see nicely all the beam characteristics: https://www.lupine.de/lighttest (maybe a bit overexposed, but good for comparison). From Supernova it is the M99 (Mini) series. Both manufacturers ain't cheap...

Last edited by polyphrast; 08-09-20 at 01:33 AM.
polyphrast is offline  
Likes For polyphrast:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.