Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

colorful LED lights for festive night riding?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

colorful LED lights for festive night riding?

Old 08-17-22, 03:03 PM
  #1  
amyvegan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
colorful LED lights for festive night riding?

hi.
can folks please recommend decent quality long lasting (meaning battery time plus integrity of product) not ebay/amazon use-once-and-they-break USB charged string lights or spoke lights to make my bike look festive and be safer at night? i read BRIGHTZ don't last well but i could be wrong. I sure wish Monkey Electric lights were still around.
THANK YOU.
amyvegan is offline  
Old 08-17-22, 03:32 PM
  #2  
fooferdoggie 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,692
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 353 Posts
Ya I two monkey lights that still work but after that I have not seen anything on the wheels thats really all that great. I used these they lasted all winter and rain rides then I peel them off when summer comes along so no great loss. but they have always worked well. going to a more permanent solution for a car may work but its going to be bulky and I doubt powered by usb.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
fooferdoggie is offline  
Old 08-17-22, 04:08 PM
  #3  
amyvegan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie View Post
Ya I two monkey lights that still work but after that I have not seen anything on the wheels thats really all that great. I used these they lasted all winter and rain rides then I peel them off when summer comes along so no great loss. but they have always worked well. going to a more permanent solution for a car may work but its going to be bulky and I doubt powered by usb.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
VERY PRETTY. so they are reliable-ish and cut-to-size??? thanks.
amyvegan is offline  
Old 08-17-22, 06:33 PM
  #4  
fooferdoggie 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,692
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by amyvegan View Post
VERY PRETTY. so they are reliable-ish and cut-to-size??? thanks.
seem to be I used a small usb battery and never had any issues. cut to length with self adhesive. then I would just take them off and toss them as you can't reuse them. the first time I had a heavier bar type for cars but you had a ton of extra wire to deal with. they don't use a lot of power and they can be synced to music too.
fooferdoggie is offline  
Old 08-17-22, 06:36 PM
  #5  
amyvegan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie View Post
seem to be I used a small usb battery and never had any issues. cut to length with self adhesive. then I would just take them off and toss them as you can't reuse them. the first time I had a heavier bar type for cars but you had a ton of extra wire to deal with. they don't use a lot of power and they can be synced to music too.
great news, thank you so much for the link and info.
amyvegan is offline  
Old 08-17-22, 07:00 PM
  #6  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,455

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 199 Posts
Spoke reflectors will likely provide more reliable and effective protection than any LED.
2_i is offline  
Old 08-17-22, 07:23 PM
  #7  
fooferdoggie 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,692
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i View Post
Spoke reflectors will likely provide more reliable and effective protection than any LED.
spoke reflects don't light anything up and only work if light is shining on them.
fooferdoggie is offline  
Old 08-17-22, 07:46 PM
  #8  
2_i 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,455

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M27R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie View Post
spoke reflects don't light anything up and only work if light is shining on them.
Yes and they provide a better overall protection, but I am unaware of them coming in colors.
2_i is offline  
Old 08-18-22, 09:21 AM
  #9  
amyvegan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
thanks i'm looking for a twinkly multi-color FESTIVE way to light up my bike that will last for years. we have a light festival here yearly and folks deck out their bikes but they all say the lights don't last year after year so hoping for a high quality solution (not soon-to-be-landfill).
thanks.
amyvegan is offline  
Likes For amyvegan:
Old 08-18-22, 11:14 AM
  #10  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 22,788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2,363 Times in 1,664 Posts
isn't the reason monkeylectric went under because alibaba was flooded by copies?

Persistence of vision seems to have gone out of style though

I don't know if there are any useful hints in this old thread Spoke LEDs using persistence of vision (Monkeylectrik, hokeyspokes, etc)

Hokeyspokes seems to still be around, although they were panned in that thread
https://www.hokeyspokes.com/
website from 1998
unterhausen is offline  
Old 08-18-22, 11:23 AM
  #11  
amyvegan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
isn't the reason monkeylectric went under because alibaba was flooded by copies?

Persistence of vision seems to have gone out of style though

I don't know if there are any useful hints in this old thread Spoke LEDs using persistence of vision (Monkeylectrik, hokeyspokes, etc)

Hokeyspokes seems to still be around, although they were panned in that thread
Hokey Spokes - Brilliant Bicycle Safety Light System 0
website from 1998
no idea why monkey went out of bizness. will look into your links. hokey spokes doesn't list USA ... thanks.
amyvegan is offline  
Old 08-18-22, 11:42 AM
  #12  
Troul 
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 5,764

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 1,316 Posts
I am sorta looking for something along the same lines as the OP. I don't need highbeams bright, nor a million LEDs, but I'd like a thin cabled LED device [roughly 24" in length] where the LED(s) are at one end & the switch/charge port is at the other end & is all rated to IPX7. Essentially a wand like light.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.