Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Cycling Computers & Aux Compatible Accessories

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Cycling Computers & Aux Compatible Accessories

Old 09-29-22, 07:33 AM
  #1  
Troul 
:D
Thread Starter
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 5,948

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,072 Times in 1,390 Posts
Cycling Computers & Aux Compatible Accessories

Is there already a site with a simple comprehensive list that has which cycling computers are compatible with regarding accessories?

IE:
Cateye QWC
Garmin Edge 530
Garmin Edge 830
Garmin Edge 1030
Garmin Edge 130
Garmin Edge 130 Plus
Garmin 1030 Plus
Garmin Edge 1040 Solar
Hammerhead Karoo 2
Wahoo Elemnt Original Gen1
Wahoo Elemnt Bolt
Wahoo Elemnt Roam

Then a list of which one of the above is compatible with:
Varia (?)
Bontrager (?)
Lezyne (?)

If anything, a "popular" computer brand pick & there compatible "common" accessories might be just all that is needed.

I'll start the list:
This Link Could Be Beneficial.
https://www.thisisant.com/directory/


Wahoo Elemnt Bolt works with Garmin Varia Radar
Wahoo Elemnt Roam works with Garmin Varia Radar
__________________
-Oh Hey!

Last edited by Troul; 10-04-22 at 03:05 PM.
Troul is offline  
Old 09-29-22, 10:51 AM
  #2  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,158
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18573 Post(s)
Liked 10,354 Times in 5,886 Posts
What does it mean for a 530 (as an example) to be "compatible with" Lezyne? Aren't those other computers?
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 09-29-22, 11:19 AM
  #3  
Troul 
:D
Thread Starter
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 5,948

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,072 Times in 1,390 Posts
I didn't assign a compatibility list to anything, just drafted brand names. The list would be easy to compile from actual users of the devices.

So those that have a computer working with a light or radar, that would be where the list starts to help others.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 09-29-22, 12:51 PM
  #4  
Iride01 
Plz hurry Dec 22!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 11,942

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4894 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 2,365 Posts
It'd be a pain to keep up to date. But hey, if you are volunteering!
Iride01 is offline  
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-29-22, 01:33 PM
  #5  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,158
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18573 Post(s)
Liked 10,354 Times in 5,886 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
I didn't assign a compatibility list to anything, just drafted brand names. The list would be easy to compile from actual users of the devices.

So those that have a computer working with a light or radar, that would be where the list starts to help others.
I can't tell you if my Garmin 130 is compatible with "Bontrager (?)" unless you tell me what you're trying to find out. Do you want to know if you can put two computers on the same handlebar? Or are you worried a Bontrager saddle would prevent the computer from knowing your distance?

In the meantime, you can learn about all of those devices and more at DCRainmaker.com or by looking the computer up with its manufacturer, or on google.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 09-29-22, 02:53 PM
  #6  
Troul 
:D
Thread Starter
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 5,948

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,072 Times in 1,390 Posts
Knowing which device works Ant+ with another is the objective.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 09-29-22, 02:54 PM
  #7  
Troul 
:D
Thread Starter
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 5,948

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,072 Times in 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I can't tell you if my Garmin 130 is compatible with "Bontrager (?)" unless you tell me what you're trying to find out. Do you want to know if you can put two computers on the same handlebar? Or are you worried a Bontrager saddle would prevent the computer from knowing your distance?

In the meantime, you can learn about all of those devices and more at DCRainmaker.com or by looking the computer up with its manufacturer, or on google.
that would defeat the purpose for a central knowledge point.
I'm actually surprised it's not something already documented.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 09-29-22, 03:22 PM
  #8  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,158
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18573 Post(s)
Liked 10,354 Times in 5,886 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
that would defeat the purpose for a central knowledge point.
I'm actually surprised it's not something already documented.
​​​​​​100% of what you're asking for is already documented. That's part of why people are confused.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 09-29-22, 04:01 PM
  #9  
Troul 
:D
Thread Starter
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 5,948

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,072 Times in 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
​​​​​​100% of what you're asking for is already documented. That's part of why people are confused.
in a central location? I have not came across it.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 09-29-22, 04:21 PM
  #10  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,158
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18573 Post(s)
Liked 10,354 Times in 5,886 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
in a central location? I have not came across it.
If you tell us what specific things you want to know about, we can show you how to find the answer.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 09-29-22, 04:29 PM
  #11  
Troul 
:D
Thread Starter
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 5,948

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,072 Times in 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
If you tell us what specific things you want to know about, we can show you how to find the answer.
I actually am hoping to use my hodgepodge setup for a few more months, but I wouldn't mind finding front & rear lights (rear with radar) that syncs with a modern Wahoo unit. A great bright (to see while riding) ANT+ support seems sketchy with wahoo computers, but I might not know where to look.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 09-29-22, 04:35 PM
  #12  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,158
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18573 Post(s)
Liked 10,354 Times in 5,886 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
I actually am hoping to use my hodgepodge setup for a few more months, but I wouldn't mind finding front & rear lights (rear with radar) that syncs with a modern Wahoo unit. A great bright (to see while riding) ANT+ support seems sketchy with wahoo computers, but I might not know where to look.
Good news!

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/...EMNT-BOLT-ROAM

ELEMNT, BOLT, and ROAM can now pair with rear view radar systems (like the Garmin Varia) following the same pairing procedure as any other ANT+ sensor (instructions here).

​​​​​​Bad news!

Note: Other ANT+ enabled tail lights (without radar functions) like those from Bontrager are not supported.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 09-29-22, 04:41 PM
  #13  
Troul 
:D
Thread Starter
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 5,948

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,072 Times in 1,390 Posts
I'd really like to try the Bryton radar unit & find a bright front unit that pairs with the wahoo too. I might be wishful thinking..
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Old 09-29-22, 05:16 PM
  #14  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,158
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18573 Post(s)
Liked 10,354 Times in 5,886 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
I'd really like to try the Bryton radar unit & find a bright front unit that pairs with the wahoo too. I might be wishful thinking..
Probably too early to find much info on compatibility with the new radar until enough people have brought it on some rides? My understanding is it's the same thing from a technical perspective so anything that supports ANT+ radar should work. DCR paired one to a Garmin without issue.

Because of the uncertainty I would only buy it from a store with a generous return policy.

I'm in the market for a headlight myself. I'm looking at the Garmin one by default because I know it will work and I like the mount. But I feel like there's probably a better value.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-29-22, 05:46 PM
  #15  
raqball 
Senior Member
 
raqball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 117 Posts
I have a Garmin Edge 1040 and it pairs (obviously) just fine with the Varia RTL 515 I have. It also pairs and allows control of the Bontrager Ion 200 RT front light. When I turn on the Garmin it turns on the Varia and the Ion and away I go...

Now if I could just get it to pair and allow control over the GoPro that would be sweet..
__________________
2023 Trek FX Sport 6 (Garbaruk long cage & 11-46 cassette)
Garmin Edge 1040 Solar | GoPro Hero 11 Mini | Flare Ion & Flare RT





raqball is offline  
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-30-22, 07:59 AM
  #16  
Iride01 
Plz hurry Dec 22!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 11,942

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4894 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 2,365 Posts
If you already have the stuff and they communicate over ant+ then just see if you can pair them. If the device can handle that type of ant+ sensor then it'll pair. If not it won't pair.

If you don't have the stuff, then simply buy stuff that you already can determine that they'll work together. And that really isn't hard to do. Just read the description and specs.

If a sensor, device or other thing can communicate with Ant+ they'll be telling you that it does. Ant+, I believe, requires royalties for it's use, so they'd want you to know.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 09-30-22, 09:54 AM
  #17  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13,536
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3717 Post(s)
Liked 1,021 Times in 715 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
that would defeat the purpose for a central knowledge point.
I'm actually surprised it's not something already documented.
I'm not.

It's more work to do than you think.

It's also the sort of thing that some people will complain about if it's not "perfect" or "complete".
njkayaker is offline  
Old 09-30-22, 05:57 PM
  #18  
Troul 
:D
Thread Starter
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 5,948

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,072 Times in 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
I'm not.

It's more work to do than you think.

It's also the sort of thing that some people will complain about if it's not "perfect" or "complete".
Haters are going to hate, complainers are no different. If we all catered to them, we might not be legally allowed to have & use a bicycle.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Likes For Troul:
Old 09-30-22, 06:44 PM
  #19  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13,536
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3717 Post(s)
Liked 1,021 Times in 715 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
Haters are going to hate, complainers are no different. If we all catered to them, we might not be legally allowed to have & use a bicycle.
The information that most people need is readily available.

The marginal information (about uncommon uses) is work to collect and maintain.

It’s not worth doing (compared to other things people could do instead). That is, somebody who has the appropriate experience has to make a choice between serving a bigger audience and a smaller one for the time they have.

Not doing the not-so-worthwhile task isn’t “catering to complainers” since there’s nothing to complain about.

Anyway, you really have to figure out “what’s in it” for the mysterious people you want work from. That it might be useful to you is a weak motivation. (All that work isn’t that useful to you: it’s way too broad.)

Originally Posted by Troul View Post
that would defeat the purpose for a central knowledge point.
I'm actually surprised it's not something already documented.
Kind of sounds like you are complaining.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-30-22 at 06:57 PM.
njkayaker is offline  
Old 09-30-22, 06:58 PM
  #20  
Atlas Shrugged
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 887
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 334 Posts
I thought this is the point to participate in this BF. For example; I have a ACME GPS Super bike computer and want to pair it to a Watch-all 2000 radar. Has anyone tried this combination as the documentation I have read does not indicate they are compatible? I emailed the manufactures and they refuse to respond.

What am I missing here?
Atlas Shrugged is online now  
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-30-22, 07:25 PM
  #21  
Troul 
:D
Thread Starter
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 5,948

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,072 Times in 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
The information that most people need is readily available.
The marginal information (about uncommon uses) is work to collect and maintain.
It’s not worth doing (compared to other things people could do instead). That is, somebody who has the appropriate experience has to make a choice between serving a bigger audience and a smaller one for the time they have.
Not doing the not-so-worthwhile task isn’t “catering to complainers” since there’s nothing to complain about.
Anyway, you really have to figure out “what’s in it” for the mysterious people you want work from. That it might be useful to you is a weak motivation. (All that work isn’t that useful to you: it’s way too broad.)
There is no agenda for personal gain. If the list gets populated & 1 person finds it useful, that is all that matters. Being useful.

We got to install microwave ovens, custom kitchen deliveries.
We got to move these refrigerators, we got to move these color TVs.


Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
Kind of sounds like you are complaining.
How's that saying go about assuming?

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
I thought this is the point to participate in this BF. For example; I have a ACME GPS Super bike computer and want to pair it to a Watch-all 2000 radar. Has anyone tried this combination as the documentation I have read does not indicate they are compatible? I emailed the manufactures and they refuse to respond.

What am I missing here?
Well put. Some just want to complain when it comes to helping others.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  
Likes For Troul:
Old 10-01-22, 09:13 AM
  #22  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13,536
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3717 Post(s)
Liked 1,021 Times in 715 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
There is no agenda for personal gain. If the list gets populated & 1 person finds it useful, that is all that matters. Being useful.
No, what matters is sufficient utility for the effort. If it's only useful to one person, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

The list would have to be updated. So, it's ongoing effort.

Originally Posted by Troul View Post
How's that saying go about assuming?
You don't know the definition of "complaint" (one is "the expression of dissatisfaction"). Asking for something is some form of expression of being dissatisfied with its absence. Obviously.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-01-22 at 09:19 AM.
njkayaker is offline  
Old 10-01-22, 09:25 AM
  #23  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13,536
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3717 Post(s)
Liked 1,021 Times in 715 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
I thought this is the point to participate in this BF. For example; I have a ACME GPS Super bike computer and want to pair it to a Watch-all 2000 radar. Has anyone tried this combination as the documentation I have read does not indicate they are compatible? I emailed the manufactures and they refuse to respond.

What am I missing here?
You are missing that the OP wants somebody to make the effort of creating a comprehensive list of these sorts of obscure compatibilities.

The OP isn't asking about one compatibility. He's asking for all of them (most of which he wouldn't be interested in).

He should have done what you "did" here: asked a specific question.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-01-22 at 09:31 AM.
njkayaker is offline  
Old 10-01-22, 09:42 AM
  #24  
Iride01 
Plz hurry Dec 22!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 11,942

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4894 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
I'm not.

It's more work to do than you think.

It's also the sort of thing that some people will complain about if it's not "perfect" or "complete".
Haters are going to hate, complainers are no different. If we all catered to them, we might not be legally allowed to have & use a bicycle.
Certainly no hate in that reply you quoted and I fail to see any complaining in it either.

Just a simple statement that it'd be more work for someone to look up all that information and publish it someplace as well and keep it current for all things new. And besides, it's really an easy thing to find out yourself once you get out of the abstract world of wondering and start making decisions of what you might wish to use with each other.

Besides, I noticed that you haven't volunteered to make this list. If you lack a website to publish it, then just make a thread here and maybe it'll become a sticky.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 10-01-22, 10:49 AM
  #25  
Troul 
:D
Thread Starter
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 5,948

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,072 Times in 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
Certainly no hate in that reply you quoted and I fail to see any complaining in it either.

Just a simple statement that it'd be more work for someone to look up all that information and publish it someplace as well and keep it current for all things new. And besides, it's really an easy thing to find out yourself once you get out of the abstract world of wondering and start making decisions of what you might wish to use with each other.

Besides, I noticed that you haven't volunteered to make this list. If you lack a website to publish it, then just make a thread here and maybe it'll become a sticky.
im not expecting anyone to make the entire list.
If someone has X & Y, & possibly a Z working together, that person would post a reply with such info [ie: Brands, models, series/submodels if applicable] & the original post reflects the info.
if a person is looking for the helpful information, they can ctrl find within this thread or scroll down the list.
this thread was that purpose, to assemble the information as its received.

The complaining, criticism without understanding the intent, & assumptions are uncalled for. If you don't have helpful information to contribute to this thread, your wasting your time more than anyone else in this thread.
__________________
-Oh Hey!
Troul is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.