Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Mounting The Cygolite Hypershot 350

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Mounting The Cygolite Hypershot 350

Old 05-26-24, 01:38 AM
  #1  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Mounting The Cygolite Hypershot 350

I just received the Cygolite Hypershot 350. I was disappointed when I saw the mounting options. It came with a mount for the seatstay and one for the seatpost. I was under the impression that I would be able to use it on 2 bikes. On my road bike, the bag takes up too much room for the seatpost mount. The seatstays turned out too narrow to use the seatstay mount. Also, to use the seatstay mount I would have to take off the bolts and another part from the seatpost mount. For the price, they could have been more generous.
daniell is offline  
Old 05-26-24, 06:01 AM
  #2  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
I just received the Cygolite Hypershot 350. I was disappointed when I saw the mounting options. It came with a mount for the seatstay and one for the seatpost. I was under the impression that I would be able to use it on 2 bikes. On my road bike, the bag takes up too much room for the seatpost mount. The seatstays turned out too narrow to use the seatstay mount. Also, to use the seatstay mount I would have to take off the bolts and another part from the seatpost mount. For the price, they could have been more generous.
You can buy another seatstay mount from cygolite: https://cygolite.square.site/shop/hotshot/21
Also, to deal with the narrow seatstay, I got some rubber shims to tighten up the gap. I have seatstays permanently mounted on 3 bikes and just transfer my cygolite from bike to bike.
Pearson100 is offline  
Likes For Pearson100:
Old 05-26-24, 06:08 AM
  #3  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Pearson100
You can buy another seatstay mount from cygolite: https://cygolite.square.site/shop/hotshot/21
Also, to deal with the narrow seatstay, I got some rubber shims to tighten up the gap. I have seatstays permanently mounted on 3 bikes and just transfer my cygolite from bike to bike.
Thanks for your reply.
Can I take off the screws and the other part from the seatpost mount and put it on the seatstay mount? I also think that they could have been more generous and supplied two complete mounts.
daniell is offline  
Old 05-26-24, 08:28 AM
  #4  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
Thanks for your reply.
Can I take off the screws and the other part from the seatpost mount and put it on the seatstay mount? I also think that they could have been more generous and supplied two complete mounts.
Yes.
Pearson100 is offline  
Old 05-28-24, 01:41 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chicago North Shore
Posts: 2,370

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 392 Posts
I've got an old bike, and none of the shims that I have are thick enough to give the seat stay mount enough stability. I wrapped some handlebar tape around the seat stay to make the mount work. That's another option.
philbob57 is offline  
Old 05-28-24, 05:42 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 7,658

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,171 Times in 2,014 Posts
The flimsy mounting options really holds it up from being a great product. Even though it is not usb c.
__________________
-YMMV
Troul is offline  
Old 05-29-24, 05:15 AM
  #7  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
The flimsy mounting options really holds it up from being a great product. Even though it is not usb c.
Agreed!
I wish that I could figure out some kind of leash to attach to it. I don't trust the mount.
daniell is offline  
Old 05-29-24, 10:48 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8,173
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7163 Post(s)
Liked 11,367 Times in 4,858 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
The flimsy mounting options really holds it up from being a great product. Even though it is not usb c.
Originally Posted by daniell
Agreed!
I wish that I could figure out some kind of leash to attach to it. I don't trust the mount.
I've had a Hypershot 350 for a few years, and have probably ridden with it for at least 7,000 miles and have had no problems with the mount.

Have either of you previously owned or used one, or are you just talking out of your asses?
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-29-24, 11:00 AM
  #9  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I've had a Hypershot 350 for a few years, and have probably ridden with it for at least 7,000 miles and have had no problems with the mount.

Have either of you previously owned or used one, or are you just talking out of your asses?
Since you asked in such a dignified manner, I'll tell you. I never trusted the durability of plastic, especially when it looks flimsy.
daniell is offline  
Old 05-29-24, 11:08 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8,173
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7163 Post(s)
Liked 11,367 Times in 4,858 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
IHave either of you previously owned or used one, or are you just talking out of your asses?
Originally Posted by daniell
Since you asked in such a dignified manner, I'll tell you. I never trusted the durability of plastic, especially when it looks flimsy.
So you are talking out of your ass. Got it.

It's apparent that you also don't know the slightest thing about materials strengths and resistance to deformation -- particularly polycarbonate vs, say, steel.
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-29-24, 02:42 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 7,658

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,171 Times in 2,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I've had a Hypershot 350 for a few years, and have probably ridden with it for at least 7,000 miles and have had no problems with the mount.

Have either of you previously owned or used one, or are you just talking out of your asses?
owned two. both broke away at the backside of the light.
__________________
-YMMV
Troul is offline  
Old 05-29-24, 03:36 PM
  #12  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
First off if you check the Amazon page, it shows both the seatpost mount and the seatstay mount intact ready to be used. That was what I thought that I was getting.
Yes, I am not a plastic expert. All I can go on is personal experience.
A few Winters ago I got a flat far from home. When I tried to pump up the tire, the plastic part of the pump head broke. I have always had less problems with metal.
daniell is offline  
Old 05-29-24, 03:49 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8,173
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7163 Post(s)
Liked 11,367 Times in 4,858 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
owned two. both broke away at the backside of the light.
I smell user error - are you particularly hamfisted?

Did you contact Cygolite for replacements?
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-29-24, 04:04 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 7,658

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,171 Times in 2,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I smell user error - are you particularly hamfisted?

Did you contact Cygolite for replacements?
both breaks were in cool/cold climate, but not freezing. first one, i did reach out & they sent a replacement part... I was in a pinch & ordered a second unit & kept using the later until it too broke. that one bounced into the sewer in blink mode. Had enough of the frustration & gave the other one away that might have better use.
Could i have tried every scenario out & readjusted my life to accommodate its light duty design.. sure, but didnt consider it until it was no longer my accessory for use.

My meathooks are capable in fine motoring skills.
__________________
-YMMV
Troul is offline  
Old 05-29-24, 04:17 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8,173
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7163 Post(s)
Liked 11,367 Times in 4,858 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
both breaks were in cool/cold climate, but not freezing. first one, i did reach out & they sent a replacement part... I was in a pinch & ordered a second unit & kept using the later until it too broke. that one bounced into the sewer in blink mode. Had enough of the frustration & gave the other one away that might have better use.
Could i have tried every scenario out & readjusted my life to accommodate its light duty design.. sure, but didnt consider it until it was no longer my accessory for use.

My meathooks are capable in fine motoring skills.
Interesting. Have had mine for 2-3 years -- can't recall exactly. I do have a couple other tail lights, but often use the 350 since it's so bright. So I'd guess that I've got at least 7k miles, much of that on rough gravel roads. No problems.

FWIW, I don't think the 350 is that much brighter than their 200lm lights, or even my Cygolite 100lm light. And since those lights are much lighter, they might hold up better for you.
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-29-24, 04:35 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 7,658

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,171 Times in 2,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Interesting. Have had mine for 2-3 years -- can't recall exactly. I do have a couple other tail lights, but often use the 350 since it's so bright. So I'd guess that I've got at least 7k miles, much of that on rough gravel roads. No problems.

FWIW, I don't think the 350 is that much brighter than their 200lm lights, or even my Cygolite 100lm light. And since those lights are much lighter, they might hold up better for you.
i've since moved on to a different rear light & going back to cygo would require changing something that has been working for me thus far. if in the future they come out with updates that entice me to give it another hot shot, that'll be determined down the bumpy bright road.
__________________
-YMMV
Troul is offline  
Old 06-04-24, 09:15 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8,173
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7163 Post(s)
Liked 11,367 Times in 4,858 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
owned two. both broke away at the backside of the light.
Originally Posted by Koyote
I smell user error - are you particularly hamfisted?

Did you contact Cygolite for replacements?
I owe you an apology!

Went out to the garage and had a look at my Hotshot 350...And yep, it is starting to crack where the mounting clip attaches to the body of the light. Mine is probably 2-3 years old. So, I apologize for suggestion user error. (Of course, we might both be ham-fisted. )

It uses the same mounting clip as my Cygolite 100lm tail light, which is smaller and lighter; seems that the 350 needs a sturdier mount.

I dribbled in some glue and clamped it together, but I don't think that is a permanent solution. We'll see how long it lasts.

Fortunately, I have several other decent tail lights, and feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of the 350.
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-04-24, 12:15 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 7,658

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,171 Times in 2,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I owe you an apology!

Went out to the garage and had a look at my Hotshot 350...And yep, it is starting to crack where the mounting clip attaches to the body of the light. Mine is probably 2-3 years old. So, I apologize for suggestion user error. (Of course, we might both be ham-fisted. )

It uses the same mounting clip as my Cygolite 100lm tail light, which is smaller and lighter; seems that the 350 needs a sturdier mount.

I dribbled in some glue and clamped it together, but I don't think that is a permanent solution. We'll see how long it lasts.

Fortunately, I have several other decent tail lights, and feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of the 350.
if the backside of the 350 had the mounting holes for affixing a quarter turn mount, I think it would be a rather good design yet still retain the quick release function. That way, us with meat hooks we use as hands wouldnt have to experience the unfortunate breakage of a clip.
__________________
-YMMV
Troul is offline  
Old 06-11-24, 11:48 AM
  #19  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
I just installed the Hypershot mount on the seatstay. Being that I have narrow stays, much of the screw is sticking out towards the spokes. For an abundance of caution, I will soon cut off part of the screw.
daniell is offline  
Old 06-12-24, 12:02 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,049
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2537 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
I just installed the Hypershot mount on the seatstay. Being that I have narrow stays, much of the screw is sticking out towards the spokes. For an abundance of caution, I will soon cut off part of the screw.
With what? Screwing around with screws can end badly. My advice is to leave well enough alone. If there is not any contact with the spoking of the wheel now, there isn't likely to be any in the future. Or you could do as was suggested and thicken the seatstay diameter with ... something. I'm sure you can find ... something. Us men need to reconnect with our inner McGyver's. We're getting too soft and reliant on manufacturers to get things right for us. I know what you are thinking. Taking a hacksaw to that bolt and crushing the threads so the mount can never be removed is not how McGyver would do it.
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 06-12-24, 01:51 AM
  #21  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
With what? Screwing around with screws can end badly. My advice is to leave well enough alone. If there is not any contact with the spoking of the wheel now, there isn't likely to be any in the future. Or you could do as was suggested and thicken the seatstay diameter with ... something. I'm sure you can find ... something. Us men need to reconnect with our inner McGyver's. We're getting too soft and reliant on manufacturers to get things right for us. I know what you are thinking. Taking a hacksaw to that bolt and crushing the threads so the mount can never be removed is not how McGyver would do it.
My concern was that I may ruin the threads making difficult to remove. I better solution might be to find a shorter bolt. If I knew what size to look for, that would help.
daniell is offline  
Old 06-12-24, 10:17 AM
  #22  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Went out to the garage and had a look at my Hotshot 350...And yep, it is starting to crack where the mounting clip attaches to the body of the light.
Out of curiosity, would you be willing to take a picture that shows where the crack is?

On my Hypershot 350, the part that clips onto the mount is, itself, something that "slides and clicks into place" onto the back of the main body of the light. I don't see that listed as a spare part on their web site, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were something that Cygolite could supply on request.
John Valuk is offline  
Old 06-12-24, 10:27 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8,173
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7163 Post(s)
Liked 11,367 Times in 4,858 Posts
Originally Posted by John Valuk
On my Hypershot 350, the part that clips onto the mount is, itself, something that "slides and clicks into place" onto the back of the main body of the light. I don't see that listed as a spare part on their web site, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were something that Cygolite could supply on request.
Are you sure about this? I think it is not designed to detach from the main body of the light.

That clip's base is the part that is starting to crack on my light. It is separating from the main body of the light.
Koyote is offline  
Old 06-12-24, 11:51 AM
  #24  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Are you sure about this? I think it is not designed to detach from the main body of the light.
I don't think it's designed with the intent of having the end user take it apart. Even so, I was able to see how the snap lock mechanism worked, and could unlock it by pressing on the right place with a screwdriver, which allowed that part to slide off the main body of the light easily. No forcing or damaging here; pretty easy.

I think it's designed that way for manufacturing reasons, but it would also allow for an inexpensive repair for a specific type of failure, if Cygolite were willing to sell or give one the part.

On mine, the slide-and-lock thing we're talking about does not feel "not secure", but the fit-up is loose enough that it contributes a little bit of additional slop to the whole mount + light assembly. I'm not losing sleep over it, but it's a real contrast compared to the quarter-turn mechanism on my other taillight (Magicshine Seemee 200).
John Valuk is offline  
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 06-12-24, 01:47 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,049
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2537 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 537 Posts
I've been a Planet Bike loyalist for quite a number of years, mainly because their mounts clip horizontally. Some of them anyway. The impact forces that eject lights from their clips so you come home from a ride to find that you've been riding without a rear flasher are mainly in the vertical plane. A horizontal clip makes that a non-issue. If you are stuck with a vertical clip, make sure you use a rubber band around the light and clip for retention.
Leisesturm is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.