Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Recommendation: Pressure gauge

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Recommendation: Pressure gauge

Old 01-02-18, 10:34 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jrickards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sudbury, ON, CA
Posts: 2,647

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Recommendation: Pressure gauge

Fat bike tires use lower pressures than other tires (just in case you didn't know that, ).

What would you recommend for a decent tire air pressure gauge?
jrickards is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 10:44 AM
  #2  
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 3,724

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I use one of these on my off-road motorcycles which also run low pressure. It's cheap and it works.
kingston is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 10:58 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jrickards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sudbury, ON, CA
Posts: 2,647

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I use one of these on my off-road motorcycles which also run low pressure. It's cheap and it works.
Nice but it looks like it works with Schraeder only, is this correct?
jrickards is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 11:05 AM
  #4  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Meiser air pressure gages https://www.ghmeiser.com/bicycle-gauges.htm
fietsbob is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 11:08 AM
  #5  
Jedi Master
 
kingston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Posts: 3,724

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
Nice but it looks like it works with Schraeder only, is this correct?
Yes. I suppose you could use a presta to Schraeder adapter, but it's probably easier to get a presta gauge. I didn't realize fatbike tubes used presta valves.
kingston is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 11:14 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jrickards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sudbury, ON, CA
Posts: 2,647

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Yes. I suppose you could use a presta to Schraeder adapter, but it's probably easier to get a presta gauge. I didn't realize fatbike tubes used presta valves.
I have a Moose Bicycle Fat Bike 2 arriving soon and I've just learned that the tubes are Schraeder so I'll deal with that this year but want to switch to Presta for next year and just assumed that Presta fat bike tubes are available, maybe not so, in that case, I'll go with your suggestion.
jrickards is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 11:33 AM
  #7  
Jet Jockey
 
Banzai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 4,941

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I have Presta tubes.

My gauge is that-feels-about-right with a squeeze of the hand.
Banzai is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 12:54 PM
  #8  
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,705

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
+1

Be careful, they are easy to break if you're clumsy and drop it ... that's what a friend told me
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 01:32 PM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Mask off the lens and the brass parts and you may be able to Plastidip it, so it will bounce better.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 01:43 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 5,721

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
0-15 psi accu guage seems to work for me.
Leebo is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 01:45 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 5,721

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
I have Presta tubes.

My gauge is that-feels-about-right with a squeeze of the hand.
So you can tell the difference between 5 and 6 psi for repeatable trail conditions? Awesome.
Leebo is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 02:03 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jrickards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sudbury, ON, CA
Posts: 2,647

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
So you can tell the difference between 5 and 6 psi for repeatable trail conditions? Awesome.
I was thinking the same but I have to get my grip strength calibrated first before I can do the same.
jrickards is offline  
Old 01-02-18, 04:53 PM
  #13  
Jet Jockey
 
Banzai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 4,941

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
So you can tell the difference between 5 and 6 psi for repeatable trail conditions? Awesome.
I'm riding a single speed Pugsley. The hand squeeze gets me close enough for my G.A.S. factor. I just don't care about calibrating #whatpressureyourunning with a micrometer.

Anything that's within +/- of an acceptable range can be adapted to. Then I just have fun.

Perhaps I should make density altitude calculations, and take soil samples as well, to accurately determine #whatpressureyourunning?
Banzai is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 07:22 AM
  #14  
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,705

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
I'm riding a single speed Pugsley. The hand squeeze gets me close enough for my G.A.S. factor. I just don't care about calibrating #whatpressureyourunning with a micrometer.

Anything that's within +/- of an acceptable range can be adapted to. Then I just have fun.

Perhaps I should make density altitude calculations, and take soil samples as well, to accurately determine #whatpressureyourunning?
Oh, stop being difficult. A $15 pressure gauge in your toolbox isn't that big of deal.

When I'm working on a tire on the road/trail, I use the hand squeeze. But why be so arbitrary when you're in the workshop or at the car at the trail head?
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 08:02 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Metro Detroit/AA
Posts: 8,207

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Meiser Presta-Valve Dial Gauge with Pressure Relief: 15psi in Tree Fort Bikes Pressure Guage

For $15, there really is no reason to use anything else. Don't bother with anything without a pressure release either. If you do run higher pressures, or want one for a MTB, they make a 30PSI version as well.

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Be careful, they are easy to break if you're clumsy and drop it ... that's what a friend told me
Yeah, you'll find that with many precision tools. Don't ask me how I know...
jefnvk is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 09:35 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,593

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,611 Times in 2,359 Posts
patented, stick type, gauge, that reads down to 5 lbs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._rd_i=15709131
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 10:06 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 5,721

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
I'm riding a single speed Pugsley. The hand squeeze gets me close enough for my G.A.S. factor. I just don't care about calibrating #whatpressureyourunning with a micrometer.

Anything that's within +/- of an acceptable range can be adapted to. Then I just have fun.

Perhaps I should make density altitude calculations, and take soil samples as well, to accurately determine #whatpressureyourunning?
Fun yes. On my mt bike, 32 or 34 psi is not a big deal. On the fat bike 1 psi makes a difference, YRMV. I'm usually 4-8 psi depending on snow depth and trail conditions. What psi do you usually run? Say groomed or packed trails? I actually use a shock pump and adjust my front fork as needed. Many others do as well.
Leebo is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 10:11 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Metro Detroit/AA
Posts: 8,207

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
patented, stick type, gauge, that reads down to 5 lbs
But how well do you tell the difference between 4 and 7PSI on that? Most of those I've seen aren't that accurate when getting down to a single pound of difference. At 4PSI, my tires are just a bit too soft for snow, at 7PSI they're too stiff and I'll rip up groomed trails.
jefnvk is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 10:28 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,593

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,611 Times in 2,359 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
But how well do you tell the difference between 4 and 7PSI on that? Most of those I've seen aren't that accurate when getting down to a single pound of difference. At 4PSI, my tires are just a bit too soft for snow, at 7PSI they're too stiff and I'll rip up groomed trails.
ah! sorry, did not know you guys run THAT low! do you even need a gauge?
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 11:37 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jrickards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sudbury, ON, CA
Posts: 2,647

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
ah! sorry, did not know you guys run THAT low! do you even need a gauge?
Do you even need a pump? Can you just inflate them by blowing into them?
jrickards is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 11:43 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Metro Detroit/AA
Posts: 8,207

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
Do you even need a pump? Can you just inflate them by blowing into them?
Actually I had a helluva time deflating the tube that I patched, if you pressed the valve at all while it wasn't compressed it partially inflated itself

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
ah! sorry, did not know you guys run THAT low! do you even need a gauge?
Heck yeah. I started another thread on the subject, but my tires went form 5# to 4.25# over the course of a ride last week, the difference was noticeable to the point I actually measured them post-ride.
jefnvk is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 02:19 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
browngw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Dover Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,548

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Liked 620 Times in 234 Posts
This one was recommended by an experienced local fat bike rider and sold for $40 at our local shop. Can be used on Schraeder or Presta and is easy to use. Seems to be accurate but more importantly, repeatable.
The Topeak Smart Gauge D2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0729[1].jpg (424.1 KB, 67 views)
__________________
We are what we reflect. We are the changes that we bring to this world. Ride often. -Geo.-
browngw is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 05:12 PM
  #23  
Jet Jockey
 
Banzai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 4,941

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Oh, stop being difficult. A $15 pressure gauge in your toolbox isn't that big of deal.

When I'm working on a tire on the road/trail, I use the hand squeeze. But why be so arbitrary when you're in the workshop or at the car at the trail head?
It's not. The question was asked what pressure gauge, so I chimed in with what I use.

Then someone had a conniption about it, and about repeatable trail conditions. So I expounded.

But no, I don't think it's a big deal at all. For my riding, however, that's all I do. Get to 10 PSI on my pump (which is the lowest it will even start reading, and even then it's probably sketchy) then deflate to the feel I like. Just what I do. For now, that's my pressure gauge.
__________________
Good night...and good luck
Banzai is offline  
Old 01-03-18, 05:15 PM
  #24  
Jet Jockey
 
Banzai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 4,941

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Fun yes. On my mt bike, 32 or 34 psi is not a big deal. On the fat bike 1 psi makes a difference, YRMV. I'm usually 4-8 psi depending on snow depth and trail conditions. What psi do you usually run? Say groomed or packed trails? I actually use a shock pump and adjust my front fork as needed. Many others do as well.
I'll never tell #whatpressureirun. Never!
__________________
Good night...and good luck
Banzai is offline  
Old 01-04-18, 07:04 AM
  #25  
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,705

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
It's not. The question was asked what pressure gauge, so I chimed in with what I use.

Then someone had a conniption about it, and about repeatable trail conditions. So I expounded.

But no, I don't think it's a big deal at all. For my riding, however, that's all I do. Get to 10 PSI on my pump (which is the lowest it will even start reading, and even then it's probably sketchy) then deflate to the feel I like. Just what I do. For now, that's my pressure gauge.
Fair point.

However, I do track pressures and conditions (I'm a stats nerd)... but I also race on my fatbike; so it is kinda key to start at a optimal pressure. However, when I'm riding for leisure, I'll adjust pressure on route by the grip test (& check what was working when I get home).

Reporting exact pressures to other riders is mostly futile since there are too many variations in tires, rider, conditions, etc...
Hypno Toad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.